Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:17 AM

8 posts, read 7,431 times

Advertisements

Hello
Wondering if anyone has any advice or can point me in the direction of any agencies or attorneys that have programs specific to "minority" placements.
AA or Biracial/Multiracial with AA and ______
Looking to adopt
In advance, THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,312,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familytogoTINY View Post
Hello
Wondering if anyone has any advice or can point me in the direction of any agencies or attorneys that have programs specific to "minority" placements.
AA or Biracial/Multiracial with AA and ______
Looking to adopt
In advance, THANK YOU
I'm not normally one to push anyone towards an adoption organisation but I have heard good things about PACT:

Pact

I believe also they provide good education about adopting transfacially.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 AM

I appreciate your reply! I wish we could go international again!
I was in contact with them today, and, surprisingly, my family is not multi enough (im triracial/ partner C/ son tri/ daughter tri/ daughter bi/ daughter C)

Old 05-07-2015, 02:25 AM

Btw I note I said "transfacially" lol - obviously I meant transracially.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:24 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,662,419 times
From Pact's website:

Pact is a non-profit organization whose mission is to serve adopted children of color.

[. . .]

We actively recruit adoptive parents of color, we have specific programs and support groups for adoptive parents of color, and we have designed special trainings for white parents (and others) who want to adopt across racial lines.

[. . .]

Pact helps pre-adoptive parents yearning to adopt African American, Latino, Asian, Native American and multiracial children born anywhere in the United States. Most of our placements involve at least one adoptive parent who shares the racial or ethnic heritage of their child. Families of color, in particular African American adoptive parents, are underserved in adoption. Pact works to make adoption ethical and accessible to all qualified parents, including low- and middle-income families. We are currently working with expectant mothers/parents who are looking for adoptive families for their African American babies, where at least one parent is the same race as their baby.

It sounds to me like they're exactly the agency you're looking for. Why would they not work with you?

AFAIK, any agency that works in domestic adoption will work with minority adopters wishing to adopt minority children.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:50 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,307,756 times
American Adoptions had such a program years ago, I'm not sure if they still do.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 PM

Question *Bus Man

We are a multi-racial family, but no AA. Im Latino, Chinese and Polish.... They want at least one parent to be AA.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:56 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,662,419 times
Quote:
We are a multi-racial family, but no AA. Im Latino, Chinese and Polish.... They want at least one parent to be AA.
Ah, well that explains it. As I understand it, Pact is definitely geared towards African Americans.

I would just look for any agency that serves the "market" you are interested in and then go from there. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't realise that. I have online friends who aren't AA but they already have 2 adopted AA children so perhaps that makes the difference in their case?

I do note that they provide education for non-AA parents who wish to adopt across racial lines:

Quote:
When we work with white parents (or others) who want to adopt across racial
lines, we begin with an educational process that provides a strong grounding in
the way race and adoption intersect.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,958 times
Quote:
How can they tell you no because of race? Isn't that illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption