Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,984,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
The paper chase or the gathering of your "dossier" can be tiring, it is all the paperwork required to complete the adoption process.(Some countries may not require this, China does). I remember thinking sometimes "wow,they know everything about us ,our extended families,etc... here we are in our late 30's at the time and there were 15 year olds having kids that shouldn't be!" but it is something that has to be done... we got through it as does everyone else who goes through an adoption.
Ohhhhh the dossier!!!!!! I'd have to say that compiling the dossier with the notaries, etc, was a little on the taxing side. By the second adoption, I had an organizational system in place. But I do remember feeling somewhat miffed that we had to go through all of this and disclose all this personal information when other people can merely do one little thing and be expectant parents. At the time, it seemed a bit unfair. Now, it seems like just a step we went through to get our girls to us.

btw NYMD -- I'm originally from Centreville MD. I saw on another thread that you're in Denton. I miss the Eastern Shore!!! The girls, hubby and I were just over there yesterday birdwatching (actually in Delaware, but we always drive through Centreville on our way there.) My girls' ages are between yours: 3 and 5. We're signing my older one up for kindergarten tomorrow. Can't believe she's already going to kindergarten. Seems like we just brought her home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 AM

431 posts, read 1,642,191 times
My DH and I did a domestic adoption and we still recieved a tax credit because our children were toddlers and were considered special needs do to their age not because there is anything wrong with them. just something to consider if you plan on adopting domesticly. Not all adoptions are as rough as ours was in the states. the book I had mentioned also covers overseas adoptions and tons of other things to help you get everything in order and help you with ?'s to ask ect. Good luck

Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
Has anyone goen through the process? how do you start, how much is it?
any info will help. I dont know where to start

Thank You
Private adoption, or public adoption? Public agencies pay most if not all of the costs, (local county).

Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Ohhhhh the dossier!!!!!! I'd have to say that compiling the dossier with the notaries, etc, was a little on the taxing side. By the second adoption, I had an organizational system in place. But I do remember feeling somewhat miffed that we had to go through all of this and disclose all this personal information when other people can merely do one little thing and be expectant parents. At the time, it seemed a bit unfair. Now, it seems like just a step we went through to get our girls to us.

btw NYMD -- I'm originally from Centreville MD. I saw on another thread that you're in Denton. I miss the Eastern Shore!!! The girls, hubby and I were just over there yesterday birdwatching (actually in Delaware, but we always drive through Centreville on our way there.) My girls' ages are between yours: 3 and 5. We're signing my older one up for kindergarten tomorrow. Can't believe she's already going to kindergarten. Seems like we just brought her home!
Hi~
yes,you are right, after our first adoption I think that we also had an organized system and just did what we had to do I suppose it is our "labor"... Although I said that the 15 hr trip to Beijing and then all the flying within China between provinces was my labor! don't like to fly much!

We are on the Eastern Shore... very pretty which is why we moved here. Not sure we will make it our home forever because it is difficult having to travel over the bridge for almost everything... but we will stay until the market improves.

Good Luck with your little on going off to Kindergarten in the fall. It is hard to believe when I look at my daughter too! I had a really hard time the first month of school to be honest... I cried ALOT but have now adjusted and am glad that she has enjoyed her first year of school. I wonder if I will react the same with our 2yr old when it is her time to go

Old 04-20-2008, 08:18 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,681,523 times
We adopted a beautiful boy! The wait was probably a year and a half, maybe two years including the time spent preparing our Birthletter.
The cost was 9,000 to the adoption agency. Then the lawyer fee`s were 4,500.
The extra`s that come along here and there. All together? Approx. 15,000

We contacted an open adoption agency and they explained alot to us, and got us started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption