Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 12:00 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I agree that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

My biggest complaint is that I think these families with a pregnant teen ought to foot more of the bill if they want to keep mom with her child rather than running to the state for benefits.
You’re basically saying we shouldn’t give support to poor young women so they can keep their kids. I disagree. We should offer assistance with the intent of making them self sufficient. We shouldn’t save money by taking their babies and giving them to richer folks.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 02-21-2023 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 12:38 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far by any means, but I do think that the subsidies that are available to unmarried pregnant women are too great. I think it is the most subsidized group in the country. There is TANF, food stamps, medicaid, first priority for public housing, special schools for pregnant teenagers, counseling, etc.

I am fairly generous to the poor as a group, but I do think all these subsidies that generally benefit unwed mothers go a bit far.
And what would your solution be? Seeing as babies ARE the future, we ALL have a vested interest in taking care of them.

Stealing them from someone causes all kinds of trauma, and it's a history that should not be repeated.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:32 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You’re basically saying we shouldn’t give support to poor young women so they can keep their kids. I disagree. We should offer assistance with the intent of making them self sufficient. We shouldn’t save money by taking their babies and giving them to richer folks.
I think it should be more limited. More pressure ought to be put on the teen's family to do things like pay the costs of the delivery of the child. I think teen mothers should live at home rather than being placed in government subsidized housing. The father should be located in every case and sued for child support. If he cannot pay because he is young, than collect it when he is working and older.

I am not talking about taking babies and giving them to richer folks.

I'm simply talking about insisting these families do more to support themselves rather than looking to Uncle Sam for assistance.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:46 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far by any means, but I do think that the subsidies that are available to unmarried pregnant women are too great. I think it is the most subsidized group in the country. There is TANF, food stamps, medicaid, first priority for public housing, special schools for pregnant teenagers, counseling, etc.

I am fairly generous to the poor as a group, but I do think all these subsidies that generally benefit unwed mothers go a bit far.
This is one of the reasons this happens so much. It's a survival method, passed down through several generations. Our system and the way it is set up, encourages this, unfortunately.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:39 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Well...you know...because of widely available birth control, the birthrate is way way down...thus the subject of this forum. And thus, why people are looking outside the US for babies to adopt.

And before you say "What about all the kids in fostercare?" Lots of those kids aren't available for adoption for one reason or another. In 2021 (the latest data) there were 114,000 kids available for adoption from foster care. 54,200 were adopted.

Why weren't more kids adopted? My guess is some of those kids have medical issues that make it difficult for adoption.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
There are no infants to adopt because no one is having kids they dont want, and then abandoning them.

This is a thread of joy, and happiness. Not sorrow.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:43 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There are no infants to adopt because no one is having kids they dont want, and then abandoning them.

This is a thread of joy, and happiness. Not sorrow.
Well said.

For some time now, this forum has a poster who thinks baby humans are just commodities and it shows in each of their predatory posts. It's disturbing.

This thread should be about the unique needs of raising children who are not with their first families and how their second parents/families navigate those challenges and experiences.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:

They're not unwed mothers - they're fatherless children. Words matter.

Subsidies are best spent to custodians of children, not farmers in a country full of waddling obese people who are obviously getting plenty of food.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well...you know...because of widely available birth control, the birthrate is way way down...thus the subject of this forum. And thus, why people are looking outside the US for babies to adopt.

And before you say "What about all the kids in fostercare?" Lots of those kids aren't available for adoption for one reason or another. In 2021 (the latest data) there were 114,000 kids available for adoption from foster care. 54,200 were adopted.

Why weren't more kids adopted? My guess is some of those kids have medical issues that make it difficult for adoption.
If someone doesn't want to parent a foster child even for a little while, to experience parenting, I'd wonder if they should adopt in the first place.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:37 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
If someone doesn't want to parent a foster child even for a little while, to experience parenting, I'd wonder if they should adopt in the first place.

I am sorry. They are very different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption