Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,052,358 times

Advertisements

for my daughter, (shes 13) since she does still have some contact w/her bio, yet she was unhappy about having a different last name then her siblings and all, until she makes up her mind totally, we just hyphenate it, didnt do anything legal, but all her school stuff and what she uses her her full name then our last name hyphenated on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:24 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,607,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduck View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble here and it's quite a personal matter, but I figure I'll try my luck in asking for opinions here.

I am married with 2 kids, with my 15 y.o. son from a previous relationship. The biological father of my son was not around from the start, and so is not listed on the birth certificate. My son has my maiden name as his last name. My husband of 5 years has been his father in many ways from the start... financially, emotionally, etc. My husband tried adopting my son after we got married, but there was hesitation on my son's part because he didn't want to give up his family name (my family). We didn't want to pressure him, so we backed off.

Now that he's older, I've approached my son with this subject again, and he is more open to it now. So I started looking at adoption procedures... and was very scared by it! It mentions contacting my son's biological father and our family home life being investigated. When all it boils down to is a name change. So now I'm thinking, should we just skip the adoption and just try a name change? After all, the benefits of being adopted run out by age 18, as I've been told, and it's really not the financial aspect of adoption that we are concerned with... it's more that everyone has the same last name, except for my son. Also, we are not deleting or switching his last name, but just adding my husband's.

Any thoughts on which route is the better one to take?
Know how you feel we had the same problem so just changed his name legally

Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,908 times
I went throught this myself and was adopted by my stepdad at 26 years old. My mom met my dad who was a GI in Germany.... long story short he was sent back to the states and that was pretty much it. My step dad has been my dad since I was 3 yrs old. They decided for inheritence purposes that it would be best to do the legal thing and do the adoption. It was painless...
but you should take into consideration what your son's feelings are in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption