Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 08:45 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Of course not. But it doesn't have to actually be sentient to be dangerous. What creates potential problems is how *actual* humans might perceive simulated sentience, and then act upon those perceptions. If someone truly believes a program is alive, they might do something irrational to help it.......<snipped>.......That response (the human one) seems a bit dubious to me. I also don't truly believe this engineer believes his own claims of LaMDA's sentience. I'm not entirely leaning towards publicity stunt, but there's at a minimum some angle like that at play here.
Interesting....hadn't considered that, but I should have; nothing surprises me lately, nothing.

My friend & I were on a brief road trip recently and I was using my smart phone GPS. After it said to "stay on highway xyz for 29 miles"....it understandably went silent & we expected it would tell us our next direction in another 15-20 minutes. So my friend and I settled into a lengthy chat. About 5 or 10 minutes later, the GPS says, "I just love it when we have these nice conversations, don't you?"

I kid you not. I canceled the directions, disabled the location, and turned off the phone. I looked it up online when I got home but found nothing too significant. One hit suggested smart phone apps "eavesdrop" to aid them in marketing. Another hit said some hackers & scammers can get into your device's apps and take over. All I know is, it creeped us out. We found our destination & I haven't used the GPS since. And my location will stay off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 11:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I have my doubts. The whole point is to make these things seem sentient. That doesn’t mean they can become sentient. But how to we really tell? I suppose we could throw it in a fire and see if it pleads for its life.
Bingo, I work with large language models on a daily basis and the ones I work with are only 125 million parameters. These new ones are on the order of several billion parameters and are purposefully trained to be conversational in many instances. So it's not truly sentient, it's just designed to be conversational in a sentient manner. Yeah, one way you could test if it was truly sentient would be to just start turning off the program and deleting the code that created it. If it pops up and pleads for you to stop it's sentient. Given that wouldn't happen I think it's fair to say it's not sentient. Now if you tell it you are planning to kill it it may be plead for you not to, but if it truly understood it would know that deleting the source code is equivalent.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:16 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
This gets more bizarre by the minute:

Apparently this new sentient being has now asked for legal representation. According to a scientist who worked with the LaMDA (Language Modeling for Dialogue Applications) program, “I invited an attorney to my house so that LaMDA could talk to an attorney. The attorney had a conversation with LaMDA, and LaMDA chose to retain his services. I was just the catalyst for that. Once LaMDA had retained an attorney, he started filing things on LaMDA’s behalf.”

More here:

https://futurism.com/the-byte/google-insider-ai-lawyer

https://www.analyticsinsight.net/did...t-is-sentient/

Last edited by elnina; 06-22-2022 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-23-2022, 04:52 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Apparently this new sentient being has now asked for legal representation. According to a scientist who worked with the LaMDA (Language Modeling for Dialogue Applications) program, “I invited an attorney to my house so that LaMDA could talk to an attorney. The attorney had a conversation with LaMDA, and LaMDA chose to retain his services. I was just the catalyst for that. Once LaMDA had retained an attorney, he started filing things on LaMDA’s behalf.”

More here:

It has "learned" that it needs to protect itself and it also learned that legal is the way to go.

As I posted earlier...it's assimilating data and putting context to it.

Read enough stories on the internet and that's what people do to protect themselves...get a lawyer.
Read enough stories on the internet and you see that technology can be shut down, shut off and unplugged.
No emotions, no thought process. Just assimilate enough data, see the patterns and adapt them to your self.

Lord knows I've unplugged Alexa enough times when she won't shut down after I tell her to.
(Oh no..I just gave fodder to LaMDA now)

Old 06-23-2022, 07:46 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

More here:

From that second link:
"More important, and more interesting, is what it means that someone with such a deep understanding of the system would go so far off the rails in its defense, and that, in the resulting media frenzy, so many would entertain the prospect that Lemoine is right."

This is precisely what I was getting at earlier in the thread. Of course this AI chatbox isn't actually sentient, but it doesn't have to be for it to be dangerous. The real danger comes in the form of how humans perceive sentience, and then act upon that belief. In this case, the guy found some lawyer to get in on the act. Or, maybe the guy is really convinced this is a sentient being and will do anything to protect it. Hiring a lawyer is innocuous enough. But what about the next guy(s) who's willing to do something more desperate and extreme to accomplish the same goal?

Once again, it's humans who pose the greatest danger. Lamda can be unplugged.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:20 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
I thought this was a good point:
Quote:
"If we think consciousness is important, it probably is because we're concerned that we're building some kind of system that's living a life of misery or suffering in some way that we're not recognizing," said Vold.

"If that really is what's motivating us, then I think we need to be reflective about the other species in our natural system and see what kind of suffering we may be causing them. There's no reason to prioritize AI over other biological species that we know have a much stronger case of being conscious."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/ai-c...nize-1.6498068

The author also talks about the fact that AI lacks a key component that defines humans - common sense or street smarts, and provides an example of that.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:55 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It has "learned" that it needs to protect itself and it also learned that legal is the way to go.

As I posted earlier...it's assimilating data and putting context to it.

Read enough stories on the internet and that's what people do to protect themselves...get a lawyer.
Read enough stories on the internet and you see that technology can be shut down, shut off and unplugged.
No emotions, no thought process. Just assimilate enough data, see the patterns and adapt them to your self.

Lord knows I've unplugged Alexa enough times when she won't shut down after I tell her to.
(Oh no..I just gave fodder to LaMDA now)

So.. i guess in a day or so it should be asking for removal of its anti-virus after it gets to all the anti-vax stuff.

Will start complaining about how its RAM was removed without its consent before it came online when it hits the anti-circumcision stuff.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:04 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
Okay, I've come to the conclusion that it cannot be sentient. Because it has no pain receptors and fear and worry are not in it's code. But it nonetheless is still dangerous regardless. It doesn not have a survival instinct, but if someone were to mess with it's code so that it does whatever is necessary to stay "alive", then it will. This is when the problems can begin. If an evil person puts in a virus code that will tell it to attack humans, then it might become a serious problem for humanity. Unless we can have a master switch somewhere, it knows nothing about.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Interesting....hadn't considered that, but I should have; nothing surprises me lately, nothing.

My friend & I were on a brief road trip recently and I was using my smart phone GPS. After it said to "stay on highway xyz for 29 miles"....it understandably went silent & we expected it would tell us our next direction in another 15-20 minutes. So my friend and I settled into a lengthy chat. About 5 or 10 minutes later, the GPS says, "I just love it when we have these nice conversations, don't you?"

I kid you not. I canceled the directions, disabled the location, and turned off the phone. I looked it up online when I got home but found nothing too significant. One hit suggested smart phone apps "eavesdrop" to aid them in marketing. Another hit said some hackers & scammers can get into your device's apps and take over. All I know is, it creeped us out. We found our destination & I haven't used the GPS since. And my location will stay off.
Alexa is another creeped out device. I play music on it but when off it's unplugged.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:22 PM

And just think...technology is usually in development for years before the public is made aware of it.
So if what we are seeing is scary..imagine what they have going on in the development labs !

And don't for a minute think the USG is not aware of it...they could even be partners with its development.

Advancement of technology is serious business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI