Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 10:23 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,406,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What do you mean eat my lunch? Take everything I have?

In that case, we have open warfare.
I mean it will be very competitive and didn't mean you specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 10:24 AM

29,548 posts, read 14,693,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
A.I is going to hurt college educated professionals the same way how automation hurt blue collar uneducated people 30 years ago. I'd be surprised if companies lay off Human Resources in favor of A. I. With A. I. We as a society have entered the 4th industrial revolution.
I think you are spot on with this.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
A.I is going to hurt college educated professionals the same way how automation hurt blue collar uneducated people 30 years ago. I'd be surprised if companies lay off Human Resources in favor of A. I.
I was thinking of going to some type of coding school for cyber security. Glad I didn't spend $12,000 for a 6 month course. Many people in school now must be somewhat panicked. CHEGG went down 45% today because people aren't going to use their online school as much. I decided to go into making furniture instead as I always enjoyed doing it. Hopefully it will take them awhile to replicate wood and 3D print tables at a reasonable cost anytime soon.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:35 AM

3,228 posts, read 1,610,959 times
Right now it seems best to learn how to use this as a force multiplier for yourself.

The output is not perfect, you still need knowledge to judge if the output is helpful or junk. This will improve but right now you need your own knowledge to supervise it.

Narrow focused (fine tuned) versions of what we see now, I think can be very successful in their fields.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:43 AM

17,327 posts, read 12,279,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Right now it seems best to learn how to use this as a force multiplier for yourself.

The output is not perfect, you still need knowledge to judge if the output is helpful or junk. This will improve but right now you need your own knowledge to supervise it.

Narrow focused (fine tuned) versions of what we see now, I think can be very successful in their fields.
Yeah, bit of a double edged sword. If you're not embracing it and using it you're going to fall behind the curve. But in doing so you're also helping to teach it to replace your current job.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, bit of a double edged sword. If you're not embracing it and using it you're going to fall behind the curve. But in doing so you're also helping to teach it to replace your current job.
Then it circles around and suddenly you have the ability to do jobs you couldn't before.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:51 AM

5,989 posts, read 2,244,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Brought to you by the “We have to adopt and adapt to new technologies” crowd…

Just because something is new does not mean it is better…
Corporations are going to adopt AI either way. Once a competitor is using AI then it forces the hand of the rest of the industry. There is no way a company can justify keeping 5000-6000 extra employees around that other companies have replaced with AI. All that will get them is a falling stock price and in the USA the stock price is ALL that matters to coporations.

Our economy is not set up for AI or advances in technology that eliminate jobs without adding others to replace them. Every innovation has led to more job opportunities but with AI it's not looking good so far.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:52 AM

4,175 posts, read 4,887,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's not much different than being forced to train your replacement from China or India or forfeit your severance package. The end result is the same.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Corporations are going to adopt AI either way. Once a competitor is using AI then it forces the hand of the rest of the industry. There is no way a company can justify keeping 5000-6000 extra employees around that other companies have replaced with AI. All that will get them is a falling stock price and in the USA the stock price is ALL that matters to coporations.

Our economy is not set up for AI or advances in technology that eliminate jobs without adding others to replace them. Every innovation has led to more job opportunities but with AI it's not looking good so far.
Not to mention governments and militaries.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:58 AM

29,548 posts, read 14,693,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

Exactly. Right now, on our campus there is a "design symposium" going on. It is showcasing how templates for components can be used...input some criteria and BAM, out comes a part. This isn't utilizing AI yet. And at the moment, these templates are relying on perfect data in. I've been in this industry over 30 years and I can't remember a time when we've had perfect data to start with.

Once AI is adopted though, and all the learnings from previous MY programs are in it, then the AI might be able to adapt to incorrect data, and work through it, like we do now. It still seems so far off, but with how quickly technology is advancing it will be perfected in no time.

I still ask the same question, like when we started offshoring 20 years ago, who is the customer going to be ? With the cost of products going up, and with thousands out of high paying jobs...It seems like the customer base will be shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI