Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 12:02 PM

11,602 posts, read 6,078,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
A.I is going to hurt college educated professionals the same way how automation hurt blue collar uneducated people 30 years ago. I'd be surprised if companies lay off Human Resources in favor of A. I. With A. I.

We as a society have entered the 4th industrial revolution.
Very prescient.

The good news is that all previous industrial revolutions have raises the overall standard of living for the middle classes. The question is, will this one also? Or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 12:03 PM

43,218 posts, read 18,372,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
If you have no idea or any ambition you will live how you deserve. The only difference will be is you won't be hungry or with out basic shelter unless you want to be. It won't be looked upon as strange to be unemployed. Much like in todays world somebody with out a job isn't counted if they are not activ3ly participating in the labor market because they have other things to do.
I am retired and I have never seen so many younger folks that don't work. I wonder how they make their money. At the beach, at the library, shopping. I was truly amazed when I first retired.
Maybe they make it all off the internet now. I just don't know.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:03 PM

3,234 posts, read 1,613,143 times
I am not worried about independent AI Overlords ruling humanity, I am more worried about a company/group/nation or even a very rich guy, using AI as a force multiplier to rule over anyone without their own competing AI.

You know someone (company/group/nation) right now has to be training something 1000x bigger just in case.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting. Is everything going to be free in this new "future world" ?
For us and the rest of the Krell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2BYyeS-fIU

Old 05-02-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I am not worried about independent AI Overlords ruling humanity, I am more worried about a company/group/nation or even a very rich guy, using AI as a force multiplier to rule over anyone without their own competing AI.

You know someone (company/group/nation) right now has to be training something 1000x bigger just in case.
Training AI takes a lot of money (millions), computing power and data space...not something individual can afford.

techie study:
https://cset.georgetown.edu/wp-conte...e-Progress.pdf

regular news article:
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/13/chat...ive-price.html
The cost to develop and maintain the software can be extraordinarily high.

Nvidia makes most of the GPUs for the AI industry, and its primary data center workhorse chip costs $10,000.

Analysts and technologists estimate that the critical process of training a large language model such as GPT-3 could cost over $4 million.
At its peak in 2021, Walton estimates Latitude was spending nearly $200,000 a month on OpenAI’s so-called generative AI software and Amazon Web Services in order to keep up with the millions of user queries it needed to process each day.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:08 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post

Yeah proprietary AI will be a problem. Take a guy like Musk and multi0ly his capabilities by 1,000 and that's sort of scary. What I have toyed with now is just a trial sam0le of AI they aren't going to let me use anything that isn't crippled by design.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah proprietary AI will be a problem. Take a guy like Musk and multi0ly his capabilities by 1,000 and that's sort of scary. What I have toyed with now is just a trial sam0le of AI they aren't going to let me use anything that isn't crippled by design.
Musk isn't a threat.

More like Microsoft which has a monopoly on PC's and soon will own the entire video gaming industry.

GPT-4 is OpenAI's next gen AI engine and that is closed source...proprietary.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:10 PM

29,568 posts, read 14,714,442 times
Quote:
Okay. What's your answer? You pick apart any idea I suggest seem annoyed it doesn't fit your style or expectations. Any solution of your own? The writing is on the wall there is no way the current system could continue like it or not. Ironically it will be skilled, high income workers that take the hit the hardest.

Whatever it is it won't be based upon what you or I choose to do, it will be out of necessity.
You just replied to my suggestion.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Why yes, it probably will be once we go to digital currency.

Already being tested in over 100 countries including the US.
Currency is simply a storage medium of production. Without production, you can't support a currency. You have to have a productivity for your currency to represent.

Remember how currency began. It replaced barter, which was the trading of good. You caught fish, I made sandals, we traded. Somebody made a coin to represent those values. Take away the underlying goods, and the currency is worthless.

Maybe I misunderstood your post. That is the problem with bitcoin. There is no underlying value. It is backed by nothing but a belief in its worth. The dollar is the same, but at least it is supported competely and entirely by the federal government. Promises and past history at least give us a reason to believe that the government will fix problems with the dollar, the way they rushed in and rescued Silicon Valley Bank.

Imagine if SVB was 100% Bitcoin. They would have let it collapse.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:18 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,368,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Awesome. Sign me up. Where do I pick up my free home, cottage, 42' Outerlimits GTX, 800hp street car, some snowmobiles, ATV's, a steady supply of good cigars and bourbon ?
It will more likely be tiny pod and a daily allotted dose of bug protein. Yummy! /sarc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI