Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 07:46 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
You really don’t understand businesspeople do you.

If a program can get rid of a lot of expenses, like wages, then the wealthy will jump on it.
Exactly. It's all about money, not people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 08:29 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Definitely agree. I don't know why they made that prediction that it will happen relatively soon. It won't. While there will be progress in the next few years, most of us don't have to worry about our jobs being taken over by AI within our lifetimes. Just written to try to scare us s***less. And as I said in a previous post, executives and business owners will also be negatively affected. But these types of scaremongering articles never take that into consideration.
Another for why retiring early is the hot-diggity! One less thing to worry about, if one is inclined to worry.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:32 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
You really don’t understand businesspeople do you.

If a program can get rid of a lot of expenses, like wages, then the wealthy will jump on it.
Don't understand business people? I was a business person for nearly 38 years in several large and medium-sized corporations. I disagree with the article's premise that "within a few years, 80% of jobs could be replaced by AI." No, it won't happen in a few years and I detailed exactly why.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Another for why retiring early is the hot-diggity! One less thing to worry about, if one is inclined to worry.
Yup. And I'm retired so I don't have to worry. And no matter how greedy and obsessed businesspeople are about saving money, they can't hurry along AI. It will take its sweet time in taking over all jobs. A very long time.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:48 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not true at all.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...-automated.asp

But please tell us how you plan to fight crime with a robot. Are we going to give robots the power to shoot and arrest criminals?
They're already starting with robodog cop in NYC, but that's mainly for hostage situations:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/nypd-brin...ening-missions

You too, are conflating automation with AI. Yes, I think sometime in the future, there will be AI cops. But that will be years from now. Robots are not automatically AI.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:18 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Just heard on the radio yesterday that Wendy's is rolling out a drive through service with a modified AI chatbot to take orders. The order will be sent to a screen in the kitchen prepared accordingly.

It's already taking jobs. Granted it's just a order taker type of job, but it can easily take over many things such as lawyers, judges, various types of writers could be made obsolete soon too.

The best we can hope for is that it can be managed and used to supplement workers and not replace them completely.

That's probably the most optimistic view of the situation that I can come up with.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:48 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Actually, they will be. No jobs are immune. Robotics will be instrumental in assuring that. Robots will be able to do those jobs faster, better, and most importantly, cheaply. People simply would not be able to compete with that.
Robots aren't unclogging your toilet or wiring your house anytime in near future.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:10 PM

37,975 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The "expert" believes it could be a positive thing. My guess is he thinks some sort of UBI will follow.

AI could replace 80% of jobs 'in next few years': expert

Q: Isn't their potential to replace people's jobs a threat?

"You could probably obsolete maybe 80 percent of jobs that people do, without having an AGI, by my guess. Not with ChatGPT exactly as a product. But with systems of that nature, which are going to follow in the next few years.

"I don't think it's a threat. I think it's a benefit. People can find better things to do with their life than work for a living... Pretty much every job involving paperwork should be automatable.

"The problem I see is in the interim period, when AIs are obsoleting one human job after another... I don't know how (to) solve all the social issues."
Maybe 80% of college educated women's jobs, but the difficult manual labor and trade skill jobs that men do cannot be replaced by a computer software

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Robots aren't unclogging your toilet or wiring your house anytime in near future.
Exactly. A welder, brick layer, plumber, electrician, electronics technician, or construction workers are not going to be replaced by AI.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
But they will be able to do that eventually. And robots can be designed to be more dexterous, more nimble, and far stronger than people. And they will be able to do the job faster, better, and cheaper. It will happen.

That said, it will be quite a while before that happens. Plumber and electrician jobs are quite safe. For now.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Maybe 80% of college educated women's jobs, but the difficult manual labor and trade skill jobs that men do cannot be replaced by a computer software

Exactly. A welder, brick layer, plumber, electrician, electronics technician, or construction workers are not going to be replaced by AI.
Can't be done by software and hardware alone. But combined with robotics, can easily be. Will take awhile though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI