Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 02:50 PM

8,012 posts, read 3,940,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If management were automated, then I should be able to buy an unpaid leave option, analogous to a stock option, for a price that was approximately commensurate with the pro-rated difference between the equivalent full-time and part-time positions.

Thoughts?
In your "If...Then..." above, two things stand out to me.

1) I'm not sure there needs to be an "If..." clause. Doesn't the "Then..." clause stand on its own?

2) In the real world, some types of jobs should fit the clause and others not so much. Jobs which neatly fit include primary care medical doctor, structural engineer, HVAC repair technician, and burger flipper. Other types of jobs that don't seem to fit are those that require extensive on-the-job training and institutional knowledge. Product manager, brand manager, business development manager come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 04:57 PM

18,553 posts, read 15,636,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, I'm all for flexibility but I think you missed the point. The flexibility is already there if management chooses to use it. They already have the option of giving leave without pay if they wanted to. Flexibility means treating different employees differently. Which means someone will complain. It's easier for management to give a one size fits none answer than take the heat why John is treated differently than Jane.
AI isn't the solution; the solution is for management to be willing.
That is a very good point. I suppose if one part of management's job was replaced by AI, someone would still figure out how to blame a human for every problem, and then whoever that is, will want to cover their rear end. And end up creating a rigid policy to do it. And then we'd be right back where we started, maybe.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:34 PM

24,757 posts, read 11,078,306 times
Quote:
In my workplace subculture, that is verboten. No one else in management wants to help, because they all try to push the issue back to one's immediate supervisor.
You start sounding childish! Real life is not grad school.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:11 AM

9,457 posts, read 8,437,051 times
Quote:
Sure, replace me with an AI for things that can be automated and then keep me for those that can't. And let me take unpaid leave when I'm not needed. That would be lovely. Unfortunately, the situation I am in is that if I run out of work, I have to sit there and do nothing, for absolutely no reason at all. If that is not human stupidity, I don't know what is.
Many of your posts here seem to be centered around your disdain for your particular company and its management. Have you considered either of these:

1) You can and should find a new job.

2) Maybe the issue is you and not everyone else.

I remember you pounding on the desk about how your company "forced" remote work on people and how unfair you found that to be. It sounds like you simply have issues with being told what to do. Maybe think about starting your own business so you can implement all of these ncole1 specific policies on your own.

Old 06-20-2023, 08:15 AM

639 posts, read 383,939 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Yes, please stop.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:31 AM

13,667 posts, read 10,063,662 times
As with accountants, the AI will have no idea of what each employee is actually worth. It's not about pay, or pay lost, it's about how much a particular employee makes/creates in either goods or profits.

Does this AI know people need pay?

Old 06-20-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You start sounding childish! Real life is not grad school.
I am simply telling you how it is.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Many of your posts here seem to be centered around your disdain for your particular company and its management. Have you considered either of these:

1) You can and should find a new job.

2) Maybe the issue is you and not everyone else.

I remember you pounding on the desk about how your company "forced" remote work on people and how unfair you found that to be. It sounds like you simply have issues with being told what to do. Maybe think about starting your own business so you can implement all of these ncole1 specific policies on your own.
The company that forced remote work was my previous employer. I am looking for an employer that has policies that are actually based on logic, and not on weird assumptions about people. If such employers don't exist, maybe I should move to somewhere where the COL is very low and try to live off my investments. Being of an INTJ personality type, I don't take too well to silly rules. I am happy to abide by reasonable rules, but not rules that simply make no sense at all in the situation I find myself in.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:25 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,037,715 times
Quote:
I am looking for an employer that has policies that are actually based on logic, and not on weird assumptions about people that are not true for everyone. .
Is any policy and the assumptions on which it's based 'true for everyone?'

As a manager there are few things I hate more than conversations with employees insisting that THEIR definitions of logic and fairness are, of course, universal.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Is any policy and the assumptions on which it's based 'true for everyone?'

As a manager there are few things I hate more than conversations with employees insisting that THEIR definitions of logic and fairness are, of course, universal.
If something is true for 51% of the people, why is it a blanket policy without a written exception? Obviously if something is true for 99.9% of the people, I would not expect the handbook to devote much space to the exceptions. But is "reasonable" too much to ask?

In many white collar jobs in the modern world, workers often do have idle days when business is slow. This is not in any way a rare phenomenon. So I'm puzzled why the leave policy is written as though these days don't even exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI