Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 04:08 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,604,301 times

Advertisements

As I discussed in my previous thread about unpaid time off, human management tends to create rigid policies that don't have written exceptions, because humans are afraid of actually having to go to the trouble to customize a work arrangement, or are afraid of being accused of discriminatory treatment, or are afraid of inadvertently screwing up their labor law compliance. Or, perhaps, they have trust issues. For whatever reason, it seems like automating management is the ultimate answer. Computers would be able to do what humans are so afraid to or are too lazy to consider. It's already happened in the financial markets, where anyone can buy "insurance" against market falls/rises by purchasing the appropriate stock options. If human managers were replaced by computers, then presumably labor could have "options" too. I should be able to buy a policy concession that would allow me to have the option to take unpaid leave before exhausting my PTO. The computer would be able to determine exactly what a fair price is for the risk imparted to the company, per day of unpaid leave, and quote me a price (cast as a salary reduction, in order to comply with the labor laws, if need be).

This arrangement seems like it would be an enormous benefit to people who are struggling with the dilemma of balancing work and care responsibilities for out of state family, or people who simply fall through the cracks because their kids have 3 months off for the summer but summer camps only last a week. Or those who have disabilities. Etc. etc. etc.

If management were automated, then I should be able to buy an unpaid leave option, analogous to a stock option, for a price that was approximately commensurate with the pro-rated difference between the equivalent full-time and part-time positions.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 06:46 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
I think that would be awful. There is a lot of nuance and grey areas in managing real people with real concerns, and I don't believe that machine learning has the capability, at least yet, to manage those situations. Think of the experiences most people have with customer service bots, and how often people end up yelling "representative!" into the phone because their situation requires a human.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:53 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,604,343 times
AI is going to absolutely ruin customer service before long. I think that will really slow it down before it can spread into other areas.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:17 AM

9,419 posts, read 8,393,904 times
I'm lost here. Replace a manager who does real, actual work with some computer who makes decisions based on algorithms? Managers do far more than make decisions on leave. It sounds like you're possibly wanting more time off and that you see a path to doing this is replacing a manager you don't like with a computer who will give you that time off, lol.

This is crazy talk, I'm sorry.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:35 AM

22,612 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Craziest thing I read today... and I just went through Twitter posts!

Old 06-16-2023, 08:40 AM

12,861 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Why would a policy implemented by computer be less rigid than one implemented by humans? It's the policy that is rigid, not the one following it.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why would a policy implemented by computer be less rigid than one implemented by humans? It's the policy that is rigid, not the one following it.
You are thinking of a computer implementing a policy written by humans. I'm thinking the other way - let the computer present humans with options that have an expected outcome and let the humans work it out among them. The problem is that the humans are so afraid of the unknown that they won't consider any outside of the box ideas.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:07 AM

2,068 posts, read 1,006,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
let the humans work it out among them.
At work? Oh you sweet summer child.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
At work? Oh you sweet summer child.
Why not?

Old 06-16-2023, 11:54 AM

7,944 posts, read 3,485,499 times
So you want to replace your manager with an AI. Maybe your manager wants to replace YOU with an AI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI