Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 11:17 PM

61,966 posts, read 87,612,175 times

Advertisements

More surveillance, now analyzed by AI.

Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for “suspicious” patterns of movement, digging through license plate databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked — and challenged — one of the biggest rollouts of the controversial technology to date.

In pursuit of that elusive profit, the market is looking beyond law enforcement to retail and fast food.
Corporate giants have toyed with the idea of tying license plates to customer identities. McDonalds and White Castle have already begun using ALPR to tailor drive-through experiences, detecting returning customers and using past orders to guide them through the ordering process or offer individualized promotion offers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...r-ai-criminal/ (maybe paywalled)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuzeH8sMKK1/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 12:24 AM

8,555 posts, read 4,807,111 times
I can’t really speak in favor of this but…

…it might help the lawless roads where I live now. Seriously, I don’t like cops who are basically only traffic cops, but the aggressive speeding and passing in turn or bike lanes, passing on the left to turn to the right in front of you, etc driving culture here is awful…

Old 07-19-2023, 03:48 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,334,451 times
Technology is actually a good way to keep human nature in check if applied intelligently. It also assumes you can trust your leaders. I generally don't.

I'd rather have independent AI free of human bias make decisions. I'd rather not have my entire life under a microscope either though... I don't want to trade freedom for security and safety in excess. Then you end up like China, and their system is a dismal failure. It suffers from the human nature problem. Preservation of power thus becomes the primary driver of such a system, at the expense of everything else. Any system that allows any group of humans to have too much power over others is a system doomed to fail at some point. Doesn't matter which "ism" it is. Human nature is the root problem. We see this with modern elites and their blatant breaking of the rules they try to set for others, from private jet use, to traveling during covid.. many different examples on how they don't lead by example but lead by giving us a set of rules which they don't follow. Those are not effective leaders, corrupted by their own power. Nobody is going to listen to people who don't follow their own set rules. Nobody. Unless dictatorship. See China, North Korea as examples.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:21 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,577,760 times
Can't wait to see this challenged in court.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:48 AM

19,915 posts, read 9,475,247 times
I swear, sometimes lately I feel and think we are hurtling toward the year 3000 at almost the speed of light!

Of course, I know that is a huge exaggeration, but "Stop this world, I want to get off!"

(I didn't feel this way to nearly this extent even five years ago, but I do now.)

And this is not due to the exact topic of this thread, but the idea that all of our actions and behaviors might soon be observed by some kind of unseen entity.

Sort of like God or Santa Claus I was taught as a child, but much, much worse.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:50 AM

22,681 posts, read 24,687,721 times
CMEO, hopefully heroic Biden can win this poor Soldier's freedom.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:13 AM

3,237 posts, read 1,621,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I can’t really speak in favor of this but…

…it might help the lawless roads where I live now. Seriously, I don’t like cops who are basically only traffic cops, but the aggressive speeding and passing in turn or bike lanes, passing on the left to turn to the right in front of you, etc driving culture here is awful…
This is not about poor driving or speeding, they look for patterns of movement (across states even?) that indicate possible drug or gun running etc.

Part of the issue is the license plate reader companies are private companies collecting this information, building huge databases, and they sell this information. It is their main asset.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:15 AM

45,294 posts, read 26,553,744 times
The govt/corporate partnership will be abused in much the same way (and worse) that red light cameras have been

Old 07-19-2023, 06:19 AM

3,237 posts, read 1,621,573 times
I’ve even seen home surveillance cameras that can build a database of faces and cars that visit or pass by the camera on your house.

So you can ask yourself questions like, why did a new unknown car drive slowly by my house at 2:30 in the morning twice this week?

Old 07-19-2023, 06:32 AM

4,347 posts, read 2,252,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Technology is actually a good way to keep human nature in check if applied intelligently. It also assumes you can trust your leaders. I generally don't.

I'd rather have independent AI free of human bias make decisions. I'd rather not have my entire life under a microscope either though... I don't want to trade freedom for security and safety in excess. Then you end up like China, and their system is a dismal failure. It suffers from the human nature problem. Preservation of power thus becomes the primary driver of such a system, at the expense of everything else. Any system that allows any group of humans to have too much power over others is a system doomed to fail at some point. Doesn't matter which "ism" it is. Human nature is the root problem. We see this with modern elites and their blatant breaking of the rules they try to set for others, from private jet use, to traveling during covid.. many different examples on how they don't lead by example but lead by giving us a set of rules which they don't follow. Those are not effective leaders, corrupted by their own power. Nobody is going to listen to people who don't follow their own set rules. Nobody. Unless dictatorship. See China, North Korea as examples.
Abuse of power always starts with the empty promise of trying to do good.

Same here. Proponents of AI will claim its use will be for good, for safety and the sheeple will bleat happily.

Then, it will inevitably, assuredly, creep and cross the line to constant surveillance and then control - and the sheeple will still bleat happily.

Last edited by Trekker99; 07-19-2023 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI