Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:50 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelrod22 View Post
Moving to Akron as well. We saw a house we really liked, but we are not sure if the area is good or not. The house is on South Rose Blvd... the street is beautiful, but a few blocks away doesn't look so good...can anyone tell me about that neighborhood??? Any help appreciated.
Where on South Rose? Most of it is decent. What is the address and I will be able to tell you based off of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
I highly disagree with the North Hill idea. Unless you live at the VERRRY edge of North Hill nearest to the Gorge / Cuyahoga Fals, it's not the type of neighborhood to move into right now. I live here and I like it but the neighborhood is undergoing significant change -- it's better to wait out this area and see what happens. If you can get right near the Gorge/CF, you can be confident you're getting good neighbors and essentially they pretend to be from the Falls. But deeper into Akron, North Hill gets pretty shady and many neighborhoods are teetering and I am not confident it's for the good.

I'd reccomend one of three areas: Cuyahoga Falls, Highland Square, or the area off Smith Road in West Akron/Montrose Area. Some nice little neighborhoods around there near the park.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Northwest Akron is nice too - around Merriman and on down to Castle Blvd area.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
the houses on s. rose blvd are majestic homes, we considered them mansions when growing up.
BUT!!!!! as you observed south of delia ave. is "THE HOOD" and it seems to be moving north and west each year, it is a shame that such grand houses will be taken over by hooded thugs!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
the houses on s. rose blvd are majestic homes, we considered them mansions when growing up.
BUT!!!!! as you observed south of delia ave. is "THE HOOD" and it seems to be moving north and west each year, it is a shame that such grand houses will be taken over by hooded thugs!!!
I agree with that htlong.
'hood check! shout ur block out!

(stay North of Delia)

Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Now is not the time to move into North Hill. Ten years ago I rented a house right off of the Glenwood/RT 8 exit and I found the area to be pretty rough. Over the years it's only gotten worse. You literally can't go anywhere public like a gas station without being harrassed by homeless, drug dealers or "wiggers".

It's really a shame because the area itself has many good features. There is a nice shopping area featuring Chapel Hill Mall and dozens of other stores. The Gorge metro park is there and the parks in the "Valley" are right down the road. Route 8 runs right thru North Hill providing quick access to Cleveland or Canton. Akron U is close by also.

All that being said, I'd never move back until the area gets cleaned up. It's simply not a safe place to live especially for a single woman or people with children. I'm in my 30's and can remember how different this area was in the early 80's. My grandparents lived in the area (right on Tallmadge by St. Martha's) and it was safe to walk to Patterson Park or the mall night or day. Most neighborhoods were 1st or 2nd generation immigrants that took pride in their homes and were friendly.

Meth and Crack destroyed this area.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:30 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Stick to west of Merriman Rd along West Market Street and you're pretty much safe.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:30 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
so true.....but for how long? the mayor aka"the Don,Czar/Hitler...oops did I really say that?
I am not a supporter of the recall of the Don, I think that if the citizens of Akron cant get their nose out of the sports page/bars and are living in the 50's where all union members automatically voted democratic. well then pay the price.
To be too lazy to read what when or how the city is being run...then why bother voting?
This bunch of buffoons running your city aren't smart enough to follow simple rules ...ie:dont take a hand gun on a plane. but they are smart enough to vote themselves pay increases and the thought behind it is...well Cleveland council makes this much.......? when I moved back to Akron I moved to the burbs and now the Don has his hands in the townships pockets to with the Jedd.
the ABJ is afraid to confront him, (he works a little like J Edgar Hoover) if he has a idea the ABJ will back him, ie:selling the cities sewers...... duh isn't the gov'ts job mainly to provide us with roads,utilities etc.
It is not to send every Akron child to college,or provide housing etc.
upon my return to the Akron area I drove down to the zoo I heard there were many improvements. but upon arrival I saw new condos in place of the projects.
yes the projects were in a state of disrepair but, if you provide a mother with eight children who each have a different father (HE IS the daddy of one of my babies ) with a new home,free food,free healthcare,and a check to help them with utilities.....why would you want to improve your lifestyle?
This is the result of LBJ (not lebron for you youngins) great society 60 years later. which brings to mind.......what effects will our grandchildren face from Obama? he is going to tax us right out of a depresstion........it didn't work then and it wont work today God help us or should I say Allah help us?
I have to stop going out on Friday nights ....it makes me grumpy......

Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,984 times
Default South Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelrod22 View Post
Moving to Akron as well. We saw a house we really liked, but we are not sure if the area is good or not. The house is on South Rose Blvd... the street is beautiful, but a few blocks away doesn't look so good...can anyone tell me about that neighborhood??? Any help appreciated.

South Rose is a beautiful, pretty quiet street and it is within walking distance to a few areas of shops and resturants. If you have small children you should know that there is a good amount of traffic that moves quickly. I live right around the corner, and it's a very nice area. Nice parks close by too!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfroggie View Post
South Rose is a beautiful, pretty quiet street and it is within walking distance to a few areas of shops and resturants. If you have small children you should know that there is a good amount of traffic that moves quickly. I live right around the corner, and it's a very nice area. Nice parks close by too!
This thread is a little old but I'll also toss in that I'm pretty sure the section between Exchange and Market is Firestone (HS) territory... which is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton