Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 23,790 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm moving to Akron soon for a job and I'd like to know if someone could tell me some of the neighborhoods where I should concentrate my housing search based on these things:

~ trendy reataurants nearby (and I'm not talking Olive Garden - something local using fresh ingredients would be nice, I love fine food and hate to cook)
~ walking distance to shops, etc
~ quiet, safe neighborhood
~ type of housing isn't important - I'd be happy with lofts, apartments, houses, condos, townhouses - pretty much anything!

If you've ever been to Columbus, something similar to German Village would be nice.

It could even be a suburb, I'm just looking for something that's near things to do - the background noise is nice to have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 PM

436 posts, read 1,648,203 times
Hmmm, well, this could be a hard one kind of.
Nothing like German Village so much (I've been there, so I know what you are speaking of).
I live in a eclectic little neighbordood called Highland Square and I love, love, love it! I have some pics in an album on my profile. Some of them are really big and I need to resize them, but you can get the idea. I will be adding more soon.
If you would like, check out my other posts for info on the area. Im at work right now so I can't go into detail.

For just an overview, Highland Square is filled with old school craftsman-type homes and late 1920s style apartment buildings. We have:
our own little historic movie theater Save the Highland Theater - Highland Square - Akron, Ohio
family-owned ice cream shop/italian eatery Mary Coyle Ice Cream, Akron, Ohio, Italian Food.
local coffee hangout Angel Falls Coffee Company
brand new burger place (which I have yet to go to but am looking forward to) Metro Burger - Highland Square - Akron, OH
Aladdins Eatery Home (http://aladdinsakron.com/default.aspx - broken link)
We also have a new Chiptole, a newly rebuilt library branch and a Walgreens on the corner. A large, local grocery store is 5 minutes away (driving) and downtown Akron is 5 minutes east of our neighborhood (driving, of course) where you can find all of the following:
Crave EAT. DRINK. C R A V E
Bricco Bricco Restaurant in Akron and Cleveland, Ohio - Phunky Pizza and Pasta
Canal Park Official Web Site of the Akron Aeros
Akron Art Museum Welcome to the Akron Art Museum
Barley House THE BARLEY HOUSE - Where beer is a way of life
Chrissy Hyndes' new restaurant on the ground floor of Northside Lofts The Vegiterranean | Chrissie Hynde's New Vegan Restaurant | Vegetarian Restaurant Akron Ohio
...and our infamous pizza place, Luigi's, along with a handful of other places.

Hopefully these can get you started. (I hope the links work) Let me know what other questions you may have - Im more than glad to help out

Old 01-26-2009, 06:41 AM

16 posts, read 39,400 times
id suggest suburbs!! inner city can be harsh in lots of areas ...

some of north hill is okay to live some not...Or North Akron(north hill)

east and west akron are getting worse as we speak

Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM

14 posts, read 53,904 times
Any thoughts on the Buena Vista Subdivision. On a map it looks like North Akron, but I see the neighborhood is listed as North Akron (West).

I'm looking for something pretty safe - no crime, etc. Residential. Nice.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM

436 posts, read 1,648,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_ore View Post
Any thoughts on the Buena Vista Subdivision. On a map it looks like North Akron, but I see the neighborhood is listed as North Akron (West).

I'm looking for something pretty safe - no crime, etc. Residential. Nice.
Buena Vista? I've never heard of that - is it a cookie-cutter development?
There isn't anywhere you can live where there is absolutely no crime.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 AM

56 posts, read 188,058 times
Not to be rude and disrupt the thread but somebody should start an Akron forum because there are so many threads in the Cleveland forum about Akron.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlicb View Post
Not to be rude and disrupt the thread but somebody should start an Akron forum because there are so many threads in the Cleveland forum about Akron.
Um... yes, just as the Dayton forum is coming along so swimmingly *cough*.

Maybe they should go ahead and do a combined Toledo/Akron/Dayton forum for all of the folks that get panties up the notch?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
husker.....what about those who dont wear panties?

Akron/canton and their suburbs have more than enough post to have their own forum,I think the grand poo-baas of city-data dont realize that the post about Akron/canton /massilon suburbs are made,when someone post about Coventry , franklin, Jackson they are unaware these are suburbs of Akron/canton the list goes on and on . if it isn't labeled Akron I assume they think Coventry is the area in Cleveland not the suburb of Akron.franklin they think is Columbus etc.
and my next question is if Akron/canton or Dayton did get their own thread would that create your panties to wad up?????

Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM

217 posts, read 693,013 times
cant forget about youngstown-warren.....matter of fact just throw all them 330 residents together...

Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 13,713 times
Moving to Akron as well. We saw a house we really liked, but we are not sure if the area is good or not. The house is on South Rose Blvd... the street is beautiful, but a few blocks away doesn't look so good...can anyone tell me about that neighborhood??? Any help appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton