Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Ray, you're totally entitled to your opinion, but do you really think you are going to make many friends on the AKRON boards by calling Akron a 'black hole?'

The truth is, Akron and Columbus each have their own perks. One could easily make the case as to why Columbus is the worst city in Ohio, and likewise for Akron. It all boils down to opinions. And just because you are entitled to one, doesn't mean you should insult other cities, especially in places where you know people who love that city will read it. I think that last post was immature, at best.

On a side note: I live in Akron and go to UA, but I'm not from here. I love it. Perhaps you've found a bias toward your own hometown? You don't see any of us going on the Columbus boards and calling C-bus a 'black hole'. Perhaps you lack some sort of class that Akronites hold dear.

Bye, bye!

It was a fair response. He's certainly entitled to his opinion. And Columbus is probably as similar to southern/newer cities as it is to other Ohio/midwestern cities.

Columbus has a lot going for it in this economic climate - large base of educated people, strong university and government employment, and most of its growth has occurred more recently (compared to, say, Akron or Cleveland).

But also comparing Akron to Columbus really isn't fair. They aren't in the same league any more than Chicago and Columbus are. I prefer Akron to Canton. He prefers Columbus to Akron. No hard feelings there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 AM

436 posts, read 1,648,203 times
Default RE: Akron

I am not from Akron originally, but I love this city. So, I do not agree with the whole 'you only like it because you grew up here' statement. That's not true.

I also am a fan of Columbus for reasons such as OSU (I didnt attend but I know several people who did and I am still fortunate enough to be able to attend one game a year with one of those individuals). Columbus also has really great shopping (Easton, Polaris) and I think it just has a cool vibe in general.

But in no way is it fair to compare Columbus and Akron, like Square said above. Cleveland and Akron - that is a different story. I would choose to live in Akron over Cleveland any day. If you really need water, Portage Lakes is like 15-20 minutes from downtown Akron. You can swim and play in the water - and boat (but there cannot be any wake except for in the speed lane). So, for watersports specifically - yes, I would recommend the Sandusky area or near Cedar Point.

I would never consider Akron a black hole. There are a slew of things to do in this city. Maybe some people just don't know how to have a good time?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 AM

Default re: degrees

Oh and in response to the college degree discussion that was mentioned before.....college degrees arent everything.

I have a Bachelor's in Mass Communication (specialty in Radio) from the UofA and am considered a young, urban professional. I currently work at the HQs of a highly recognized and successful retail establishment (in Marketing/Advertising). ....My brother, on the other hand, is 2 years younger than I am and had dropped out of OSU. He has no college degree of any kind and is currently making $20K more than I am (roughly $65K). He is a hard worker, of course, however, it just goes to show you that you do not need a college degree to get a good job making pretty decent money by the time you are 26 years old. Oh and I'm still paying off one of my college loans, while he has none.

My paper degree may help me in the long run at some point but I have yet to see the complete benefits of having achieved a 4 year degree and spending tons of money. I will admit, though, that the college-life 'experience' is valuable however I don't think that it completely prepares you for the real world. But, thats just me....
@KSU - you are doing the college thing now - what do you think?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 AM

119 posts, read 273,415 times
I understand that Akron and CBus are not nearly similar in anyway, so I shouldn't compare them. KSU Sucks - I was simply stating my opinion, and I am not really here to make friends. If someone is moving to Ohio and they are considering Akron, in my opinion, I think it would be best to check out the other cities like Columbus or Cinci. I feel that they have more to offer for new people coming in, because that is what I have experienced (and I do have a decent job - I'm a teacher). Akron U is a pretty good University that is easy to get around, unlike OSU (a GREAT university, but it can be hard to get around because of its size), but I think that overall there are more opportunities in Columbus. Columbus is not my hometown, nor is Akron, so I think that I have a pretty unbiased angle here, actually. I am from Sandusky area. I love it there, but the winters on the lake are BRUTAL.

Now, comparing Akron to Canton, I think that Akron wins by a landslide. Canton area is even MORE rundown than Akron (excluding the Strip). Plus, there is more to do in Akron than in Canton. The University is growing, there will be a new football stadium shortly, so maybe the "black hole" is coming around?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrrl
My brother, on the other hand, is 2 years younger than I am and had dropped out of OSU. He has no college degree of any kind and is currently making $20K more than I am (roughly $65K).
Just out of curiosity, what does he do?

Quote:
He is a hard worker, of course, however, it just goes to show you that you do not need a college degree to get a good job making pretty decent money by the time you are 26 years old. Oh and I'm still paying off one of my college loans, while he has none.
Quote:
My paper degree may help me in the long run at some point but I have yet to see the complete benefits of having achieved a 4 year degree and spending tons of money.
Ugh. I wonder the same thing about when the big benefit will occur, especially when factoring in loans. Although I do think having at least a bachelor's give you more selection is choosing a job that pays enough to live on if not extravagantly (maybe $40k in Ohio for a graduate a few years out).

My brother who did not go to college makes around the same thing that I do, and of course he has no loans (we're both in our 20s). But I wouldn't want to do what he does ever and I don't think the skills are as portable.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Just out of curiosity, what does he do?

Ugh. I wonder the same thing about when the big benefit will occur, especially when factoring in loans. Although I do think having at least a bachelor's give you more selection is choosing a job that pays enough to live on if not extravagantly (maybe $40k in Ohio for a graduate a few years out).

My brother who did not go to college makes around the same thing that I do, and of course he has no loans (we're both in our 20s). But I wouldn't want to do what he does ever and I don't think the skills are as portable.
I don't know what his official title is but he basically is head of maintenance for the computer systems center of a main bank branch (i don't want to give out the name of the place). In his last job, he was trained in HVAC and a few other building-related systems. He is extremely smart (one of the smartest people I know, actually - especially considering that he is not a fan of school or books). He is a 'jack of all trades'. In his spare time, he takes on various jobs (for more money....he likes money, as you can tell) such as working on peoples' cars, detailing, landscaping (pavers and all), etc. I wish I had his talent and smarts but I guess I am smart in my own way

Honestly, sometimes you are lucky to get a job paying $40K right out of college - especially right now. It took me what seemed like forever to get a worthwhile position.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
I know a lady who got a degree in the mid 70's and wont work any "job" because thinks she is owed a "position" because she has a degree? ........she lives on food stamps and free clinics.....when asked about her lifestyle she responds....I give back? could she just be lazy??????

Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I know a lady who got a degree in the mid 70's and wont work any "job" because thinks she is owed a "position" because she has a degree? ........she lives on food stamps and free clinics.....when asked about her lifestyle she responds....I give back? could she just be lazy??????
Well, the reason that I think there are people like this is because from birth, society spoon feeds to us that it is important to get a college education and that you arent much without one - along with the fact that if you get that college education, then that automatically means that you are supposed to be handed a job making atleast $40K right out of school.
It's all B.S.
Anymore, a college degree is just something to fall back on. Besides, there arent too many people that I know that actually have jobs even related to their field of study. So, really, college ends up being a waste of money in a sense.

But, in regards to the lady you mentioned above...I don't know if that is laziness or lack of ambition. Maybe they can even be one in the same?

I don't believe in 'positions'. They are all jobs as far as I'm concerned. You have to be in a place with a bunch of other people trolling away - to make someone else rich. People can paint that as pretty as they want, but its still just a job. The dude making $6.50/hr at Target or $40K in marketing or $60K in management are all still working for the same thing....to make the company profit so that the people at the top can continue to make the most money. It's all just a totem pole. Work, work, work and only make a little bit in the grand scheme of things. (I'm sure this sounds depressing, btw. lol)

Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
did I mention she is 51 years old? how long should a person wait for a position? lol that is a lot of "giving back"isnt it ?

Old 07-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
did I mention she is 51 years old? how long should a person wait for a position? lol that is a lot of "giving back"isnt it ?
I don't exactly understand what the hell she thinks she is giving back....a perfectly capable person using food stamps and free health care takes away from the people that actually need it. And it wastes my tax dollars to pay for a person who needs to just get off their lazy, un-handicapped a** and get a job. Tell her to stop milking the system and being a hippie and get a job.
There are no 'positions' - she is delusional. I don't care if she is the Virgin Mary - smack her into reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton