Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 28,758 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering school in Akron...we are coming from Montana. My dad does a lot of traveling and has been in Akron several times and considers it a "dump." But, he tends to exaggerate things.

My main concern is that we will be poor college students and we have a little boy. As a result we need farily affordable...SAFE housing. Is Akron really a "dump?" Is it run down? Is there a lot of crime? How is the job market? What is the best area to live affordably?

Your honest input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:44 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,031,747 times
The job market like everywhere else is not good, NE Ohio in general has been pretty much in a recession-mode since the late 90s. That said, the area around the University of Akron is fairly nice, they've really done a lot in the past 15 years or so to make it more appealing and it is now. Obviously real close to campus, housing is more expensive, but the farther away you go it gets much cheaper, but also a lot more run-down areas that aren't as safe.

If you are going to live off-campus, look at Cuyahoga Falls or Stow, both are relatively close to campus via Rt. 8 and are typically safer than most areas inside the city of Akron.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,896 times
depending on how or why your father travels, he may be seeing the worst sides of akron (hotels off the freeway are different than houses in the suburbs). definitions of safe are different for different people, but akron is not like either cleveland or youngstown as far as the violent crime goes. housing is cheap in the area, but you probably will not find many jobs in akron after graduation. as buckeye in sc points out, the whole area is on a decline.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:02 PM

113 posts, read 425,443 times
You said you have a little boy...you didn't say his age, but if he's not in kindergarten yet, The University of Akron has a Center for Child Development. It's on campus & the staff is REALLY great! I worked there for a while. They offer meals for lunch & breakfast with an actual cook, & Ms. Rosa makes really good food! It is pretty expensive, but since you're going to be poor college students you get a cheaper rate. The bad part is though that there's a waiting list to get in. But if you can, do it. It's not a day care either... your child will learn TONS!

As for living in Akron, it's not bad. There are plenty of other towns/cities with in a close driving distance. Since you're looking for places that are affordable, you might consider Coventry or Springfield.... but if your son is old enough for school.... veto Springfield. Just my opinion. & Buckey in SC is right... there's always Cuy Falls. There is much to see & do around Akron & Cleveland is about a half hour/ 45 mins. Since you have a son, I wouldn't live near campus.... there are A LOT of college houses. My bf's friend has a party at his house every weekend with at least 150 people.... & he's not the only one around throwing parties, so I'd suggest moving away from campus. Lots of drunkards & cops there on the weekends.

U of A was a great place to go to college. I loved it there. Within the last 8 years, they almost completely re-renovated their campus. I was there during the renovation process. They have a wonderful student union & an amazing sports complex. It's free for students. Even has a lazy river! It's a long, winded walk from one end to the other, & extremely frigid in the winter. Like a wind tunnel blowing you down, really. Haha, but my experience there was great. When I move back to Ohio (in SC now teaching) & start my masters, that's where I'll be going.

Just move there already! It really is great. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondwahine View Post
My husband is considering school in Akron...we are coming from Montana. My dad does a lot of traveling and has been in Akron several times and considers it a "dump." But, he tends to exaggerate things.

My main concern is that we will be poor college students and we have a little boy. As a result we need farily affordable...SAFE housing. Is Akron really a "dump?" Is it run down? Is there a lot of crime? How is the job market? What is the best area to live affordably?

Your honest input would be GREATLY appreciated!
I have lived in akron most of my life and I have seen nothing to write home to mom about, I would much rather be in a state with low crime and less issues with racial activity, the schools are good but unless you have the money for an upscale neighborhood you,ll just be taking your chances, there are not alot of jobs, I have been looking for awhile, SAFE housing whats that??? Its only as safe as you make it...good luck

Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,003,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonya2366 View Post
state with low crime and less issues with racial activity
That's like saying you want to live in a state that only has green houses.

There is no state that has uniformly low crime and "racial activities".

Old 06-16-2009, 04:49 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,381,124 times
I chose Akron for my retirement,could have gone anywhere, I think Akron is great.......until December

Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 AM

436 posts, read 1,649,483 times
wth? why are so many people so bent on thinking that Akron is super dangerous and such a rotgut city. jeez. its getting old.

Akron is awesome - the University of Akron looks beautiful and is a great college - and it's not as gloom and doom as some paint it to be.

If you prefer the boring, white-picket fence life, you might want to try Cuyahoga Falls - or Fairlawn (altho it tends to be expensive out there).

I agree with the person that mentioned above that you shouldnt live right near campus, as there are a lot party houses where the college kids live.

..and I have no idea what 'tonya' is talking about...she's been looking for safe housing and hasnt found any in Akron...

Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 29,228 times
I attend the University of Akron and would recommend it to any student. There are many clubs to join and activities to enjoy. Akron is the All-American city with the Boxcar derby and the Goodyear Blimp hanger. Yes, the town may look dumpy but thats NorthEast Ohio for you. People made millions of dollars here and then moved (maybe for nicer winters). Akron is not a bad place, although I do recommend avoiding the North Side.

Akron is also a city that is family friendly. The Lochs have concerts and kid-stuff every weekend. There is alot of history in this area, so yes that means this city is old, but that is what makes it sooo great.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,260,959 times
I would suggest looking into the Cincinnati area if I were, especially since the only thing you're looking into Akron for is the school. Cincinnati has the University of Cincinnati and Xavier University. There's always something going on around the area (and across the river in Newport) and there's a lot of parts that are considered family-oriented, so you'd be able to find safe places to live for sure for your child. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not going to bash the Akron area, since I've spent my whole life so far in the Canton/Massillon area. But, I wouldn't really recommend anyone moving to Akron. The economy is horrible right now in the area and there's not a whole lot going on in my opinion. Now, maybe that's what you guys are looking for when moving from Montana, I don't know, but If Ohio is your destination I'd recommend a different area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton