Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 PM

976 posts, read 2,685,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama`s Port View Post
There are is a lot of progress in Montgomery, I noticed that the paople who usualy have negative things to say about Montgomery don`t live there. The same for Mobile when the Baldwin county forumers use to post such rude and negative comments about Mobile. Now all you see is the national attention that is directed towards Mobile , When more Montgomery forumers begain to come to this site you want be the only one that will be defending it Mimp. For a little while I was the only one who was doing it for mine , I read on the CNN website for business back around October of 2007 and when I was looking at all of the great and wonderful things it said about Mobile , and there was one other metro from Alabama that was on there .It was Montgomery and they had a lot to say about you guys that wouldv`e boosted your pride for your city man !!
When ever you get a chance look it up Mobile and Montgomery was in the company of cities like Atlanat,Autin, Charlotte and many other prosperous cities both were in the top 12 on that site.
Thanks man!!
After all the negative comments about Montgomery and Mobile I had to defend them especaily when they never mention the positve things about these two great cities in alabama.I think most of the forumers have not been to either of the cities recently or just hate on them.Maybe because these or the cties to the south, but people from Montgomery only talk positive about any city in alabama, because its all Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 7,510 times
Just got back from a trip to Birmingham and had to traverse the mine filed/obstacle course Montgomery has made of I-65. Completely inexcusable. Prior planning prevents **** poor performance. But, in the past Atlanta puts them to shame in the DA category.

However, back in 2000, I was unfortunate enough to have my truck break down as I was going to my grand mother's funeral in Virginia. I broke down in Montgomery. To my surprise, I did not have any trouble. I was able to get a ride with some in-laws going north. My truck sat at a Waffle House, it was the first thing off of the exit and I had blown a head gasket, for about ten days before I was able to get back to it.

I really expected to see what was left of my truck. But, it was as I left it. So not so bad.

Now, I have also tried to find some things there since then. Google needs to update or the town needs to contact Google. Who knows....

Old 02-01-2008, 06:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
That is why we are here!!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,561 times
I admit I did not read the entire thread, but I just wandered across this subject and had to post my two cents'. It seems to me the original poster wants the best of both worlds, a smallish town with big town conveniences within an easy driving distance.

My advice would be to just go take a visit -- explore the suburbs, and specifically focus on looking at the ones that surround Huntsville and Birmingham. Based on what you are saying you want, I think Huntsville (a suburb of it) would be just exactly what you are looking for. Huntsville has a Costco and a Sam's if those are deal breakers. But it has a good symphony, broadway shows stop through all the time, and it's really come a long way in the past 20 years. There are good museums (and no, not JUST the space one.) It's a great place for kids to grow up, but that doesn't sound like it's a consideration for you at this juncture.

The jobs are plentiful, however you should be warned that it is a real pain in the rear if you don't want to work for the government or a government contractor. Let me clarify -- it's a pain in the rear, either way -- if you don't work for one, there are fewer jobs to choose from. And if you do work for one, then you're under the government's thumb, subject to their whimsy and rules, and often (almost always) you have to have a security clearance to get in the door. And there really is an element of almost needing to know someone to get your foot in the door. Once you're in, though, your resume will carry you wherever you want to go, but a company has to be willing to take you on and sponsor you for your security clearance when you're starting out, and that's not the easiest thing to find, in my experience (not that it's impossible by any means, it's just something that I think someone from the outside would want to know before they got here.)

Huntsville is just 2.5 hours from Nashville, and hour and a half from Birmingham, 5 hours from Atlanta, and couple hours from Chattanooga, which opens up more shopping and cultural opportunities. The Smoky Mountains are in EASY driving distance and are among the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Gatlinburg is breathtaking. One nice thing I found -- if you want to catch a concert, you'll usually have at least 2 or 3 opportunities and 3 dates to choose from, in Birmingham, Atlanta and Nashville. Sometimes even Huntsville, but not as often. Same with flights -- actually Huntsville's airport is really excellent in my estimation. I live in Chicago, which is just a disaster. I despise traveling now that OHare and Midway are my choices. You have to schedule hours of extra time just to navigate the traffic and walk the eternal concourses and wait in line at security for what seems like a day. But Huntsville's airport, though small, is an Internation airport, is clean and nice, has a good selection of flights to wherever you might want to go, and is so ridiculously easy to get into and out of that you might not even think it's really an airport. Seriously -- I'm always floored when I go back home how simple and quick it is to get in and out. I arrive and just get off the airplane, get my bag, walk out the door, and go within the span of 5-10 minutes.

You know what else -- Huntsville (even the city itself, with its 200,000ish people) has room to breathe. I know you said you want a 30,000ish size town, but even Huntsville itself is spread out so much that even in its most dense area you won't feel like your in a big city. I think a lot of people would make fun of that fact, but for me it's a real positive. Yes, it's sprawly, but you know, I guess I like that.

Memorial Parkway will boggle your mind. But you'll get used to it.

If you're religious (protestant, specifically) you could go to a different church every week and never repeat yourself for the rest of your life. If not, well you might find it a little harder to find a social group, but in the meantime you'll be bowled over with friendliness. I've heard that lately there's been a huge influx of "yankees", (yes anyone from above Kentucky or the DC area or above is a "Yankee" down there), so the character may have changed, but I don't know, sadly I haven't been there in too long. I should mention that the suburbs are PLENTIFUL. There are so many I couldn't begin to list them all. In every direction you'll find a ton of towns from miniscule to large, all with different character. I should warn you, there definitely is a racist element to some of them. It's just true, sad to say. But you'll know it quickly and can choose accordingly. And of course it's never the whole town. There's no real pattern to it, either. It seems like some towns just got stuck in time several decades ago and can't seem to get themselves unstuck. But I have to believe in my heart that that's true everywhere and just manifests itself differently from place to place.

Personally, I wouldn't even look in the southern half of the state. No offense to them, they're great to visit. But north Alabama is hot enough, I don't know how anyone any further south survives.

I've lived in Birmingham as well, and though those were great years of my life, to me, the city really doesn't come anywhere close to having the friendliness, character and culture of Huntsville. Birmingham was founded as a steel town, and it still has that dirty, gritty, desperate feel to it, buried deep down underneath. Call me weird, but that's the best way I've found to describe it.

I guess I could go on and on all day, but I'll stop now. Especially since I'm not even sure you'll be back to read this topic, I notice it's a month or so old and I'm just now seeing it.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I hope something in here was of use to you. Enjoy the chance when it comes. Hopefully someday I'll make it back down there and join you.

Edited to Add: How could I forget to address the HEAT? Just be warned, there is no hot that you could have experienced in Jersey that will prepare you for the HOT of an Alabama summer. I am speechless just remembering growing up in 100+ temperatures for days, sometimes weeks at a time, with the humidity at 90+%. You can't even walk from your air conditioned car to the door of a business without being DRENCHED in sweat, and that's no exaggeration. It's truly horrible. It's probably the #1 flaw of living there, to be quite honest. And it gets hot in April and doesn't subside until at least October, sometimes later. But you know, your reward is the winters so mild you don't even need to own a coat 99% of the time. (Seriously, I didn't own one at all when I was in college). Fall and winter are heavenly. So I guess it balances out. If you do decide to visit, just to check things out, I highly recommend trying to plan it for early spring or late fall so you can enjoy it. If you go in summer, you will be unfairly biased against ever returning.

Last edited by BamaRaised; 02-29-2008 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Adding more info

Old 02-29-2008, 01:24 PM

602 posts, read 1,963,402 times
Default Eh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Sir, I dont think you have really been to Montgomery. First off, you are judging the city without even visiting it. Montgomery downtown is amazing and it has come along way. And I guess you missed WEST Birmingham, Memorail pkwy in Huntsville, or Prichard in Mobile. I promise anyone if they even took a visit into the city of Montgomery they will be very impressed. Montgomery as so much to see that I cant name it all.Many people talk about I-65 in Montgomery but have you ever traveled I-85, East montgomery or been to Prattville or Wetumpka.Maybe you haven't be to Montgomery recently to see the change, but people need to stop getting this negative preception of Montgomery through word of mouth.Hell, didn't you see it on Oprah yesterday.
I went through Montgomery about a week ago. After living in Huntsville for 20 years, I can tell you this: Memorial Parkway on its worst day is better than what I saw of Montgomery. AWFUL. Harry is right.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM

Default yeah yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
I went through Montgomery about a week ago. After living in Huntsville for 20 years, I can tell you this: Memorial Parkway on its worst day is better than what I saw of Montgomery. AWFUL. Harry is right.
Well you probably went through a part of Montgomery that isn't that great.But it really doesn't matter because Huntsville is turning into a giant suburb with no culture or entertainment, while Montgomery downtown is booming and has history that Huntsville will never see.Just give us 5 years fella.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 10,561 times
Lordy. What's with the Huntsville vs. Montgomery debate? Why would you even compare them? People like different things. Value judgements come from just that, what you value. Neither right nor wrong. I subscribed to this thread after my earlier post, but ... sure didn't expect such negativity over something like this. Chill out, fellas.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRaised View Post
Lordy. What's with the Huntsville vs. Montgomery debate? Why would you even compare them? People like different things. Value judgements come from just that, what you value. Neither right nor wrong. I subscribed to this thread after my earlier post, but ... sure didn't expect such negativity over something like this. Chill out, fellas.
they stared it!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM

116 posts, read 524,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
You said you "went through" Montgomery. Where were you, on I-65? There is a LOT of construction on that section of road and let's be honest, like all cities, there are "less than upscale" areas of town and 65 blows right the heart of one such area.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM

116 posts, read 524,937 times
Quote:
Prior planning prevents **** poor performance. But, in the past Atlanta puts them to shame in the DA category.
I've lived in the area nearly all my life. When that section of I-65 was built in the 60's, it handled the traffic well. As it was the least affected section of the city's interstates by traffic build up, it has been the last to be widened.

I have never been to or through Atlanta that I didn't pass through some area of construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama