Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:58 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,444 times

Advertisements

Three year old post? The post began 12-20-15... that would be nine days ago according to my computer. Amusing reply tho.

Piggy Faced tourists? Yes..have you been to "Gut" or should I explain that to you? Coming from Gotham I suspect you have a very superficial view of this town.

To the 91,392 for Saratoga Springs income...that's very modest actually.

Avon CT (Hartford if you need a map..) $155,707
Pittsford NY (Rochester..icky Rochester) $109,344
Simsbury CT (more Hartford..not even top 10 in CT for wealth) $120,432
Niskayuna NY (near...gasp!...Schenectady) 93,800
Orchard Park NY (Buffalo) 151,227

The perspective is really...where have people lived elsewhere? Most of the wealthy locals I find are culturally void but very good with alcohol. They often made a lot of money by pure luck of selling their house to some socially ambitious person from NJ/Long Island/Clifton Park. If any of you took the time to read John Irvings "Hotel New Hampshire"...replace Saratoga with New Hampshire...same template. It's the town that wants so badly to be Tanglewood for sophistication...but basically caters to some Jersey Shore/Myrtle Beach/Newport collage...with more alcohol and less love for culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 05:01 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,444 times
And I'll give you Hatties is proof of a great legacy of black culture here...but that was a long long long time ago. It's basically a whitewashed suburban town with victorian houses and some really tasteless downtown condominiums to cater to the folks who want Morristown NJ or West Hartford CT in Saratoga...

Old 12-29-2015, 05:12 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
And I'll give you Hatties is proof of a great legacy of black culture here...but that was a long long long time ago. It's basically a whitewashed suburban town with victorian houses and some really tasteless downtown condominiums to cater to the folks who want Morristown NJ or West Hartford CT in Saratoga...
There is still a Black population/community there, but gentrification scattered them throughout the city and area. In the articles there is reference to Solomon Northup Day and some facilities/clubs. I know that Dyer-Phelps African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church is still there, as well as Mount Olivet Baptist Church.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-29-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 06:20 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Not sure why the OP is comparing a small city (that is not a suburb of a large city where there are typically high-paying jobs) to places like Pittsford and Avon? What the hell is the point?

SS is one of the nicest small cities in New York. And oh my God, there are is some Section 8 housing. Time to flee because Section 8 types are all criminals that just can't wait to break into your house, tie you up, and rob you blind.

Something wrong with a significant number of posters on this site.

Last edited by rubygreta; 12-30-2015 at 06:29 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 PM

660 posts, read 658,636 times
Quote:
Three year old post? The post began 12-20-15... that would be nine days ago according to my computer. Amusing reply tho.

Piggy Faced tourists? Yes..have you been to "Gut" or should I explain that to you? Coming from Gotham I suspect you have a very superficial view of this town.

To the 91,392 for Saratoga Springs income...that's very modest actually.

Avon CT (Hartford if you need a map..) $155,707
Pittsford NY (Rochester..icky Rochester) $109,344
Simsbury CT (more Hartford..not even top 10 in CT for wealth) $120,432
Niskayuna NY (near...gasp!...Schenectady) 93,800
Orchard Park NY (Buffalo) 151,227

The perspective is really...where have people lived elsewhere? Most of the wealthy locals I find are culturally void but very good with alcohol. They often made a lot of money by pure luck of selling their house to some socially ambitious person from NJ/Long Island/Clifton Park. If any of you took the time to read John Irvings "Hotel New Hampshire"...replace Saratoga with New Hampshire...same template. It's the town that wants so badly to be Tanglewood for sophistication...but basically caters to some Jersey Shore/Myrtle Beach/Newport collage...with more alcohol and less love for culture.
Do you hate New York? I know you live in Connecticut, but your post is very Connecticut biased. Like you have something against New York. Last time I checked, New Haven, Hartford, and Bridgeport all have worse crime than Buffalo, Rochester, and Albany.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,975 times
Why is Del Steinacker

Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedBit View Post
Do you hate New York? I know you live in Connecticut, but your post is very Connecticut biased. Like you have something against New York. Last time I checked, New Haven, Hartford, and Bridgeport all have worse crime than Buffalo, Rochester, and Albany.
What is odd is that those places are suburbia, while Saratoga Springs is more of a smaller, stand alone city.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
I often wonder why someone makes an issue of bashing a place where they don't live or dislike. I can certainly understand an opinion and/or one response but to be argumentative I wonder what is this person's reasoning. Why can't they let it go when someone disagrees rather than continue the bashing?

Old 01-01-2016, 06:45 AM

334 posts, read 188,400 times
Quote:
Compare Avon CT, Pittsford NY, or Simsbury to Saratoga....it's relatively impoverished. Check the mean income for a family if you thing I'm blowing smoke.

Section 8 is 4 blocks from the track...you just choose not to see it. Right near Crescent.

Connecticut has more diversity in 3 blocks of New Haven than Saratoga has in the whole town.
I lived in Saratoga Springs for a few years. I've traveled to over 20 different countries and been to various places in the US, so I can definitely be objective. IMHO...Saratoga is LOW on quality. I recall going to look at an apartment and the person showing the apartment thought she had a gem. The grout around the bathtub was sloppy, the air conditioner was dirty, the flooring was crooked, and this was "supposed" to be an upscale apartment. The people in Saratoga are delusional to say the least. I went to look at some new homes that were built not far from W. Circular St and the Price Chopper. It's like a suburban area within the middle of town...anyways, out of curiosity I wanted to see what the asking price was for a particular home. It was large with an upstairs, freshly painted walls, perhaps 3-4 bedrooms, some yard space, etc...I asked the price the realtor said $750,000! I nearly laughed in his face. For this cardboard box they were asking this price? I wouldn't have paid more than $200,000 for it...but the real estate in Saratoga is high, at least that's what they say. One advantage, it is a walk-able city. In addition, I lived in the center of the city and used to ride my bike to the State Park, Skidmore College, and around the area. Having said that, the people can be a bit snooty. They think Common Grounds on Broadway is akin to a trendy restaurant in SoHo NYC! The black population in Saratoga are rather poor or an underclass for sure. There aren't many jobs in the area either. A lot of people work in Albany or the surrounding areas. Taxis are cheap and the people are relatively friendly. They love to show off their "special breed" dogs in summer. Overall, the town is OK for a visit in the summer and hang-out for a few days. The winters can be harsh. The roads are nice on Broadway but behind there you will find potholes, uneven sidewalks, etc.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
I lived in Saratoga Springs for a few years. I've traveled to over 20 different countries and been to various places in the US, so I can definitely be objective. IMHO...Saratoga is LOW on quality. I recall going to look at an apartment and the person showing the apartment thought she had a gem. The grout around the bathtub was sloppy, the air conditioner was dirty, the flooring was crooked, and this was "supposed" to be an upscale apartment. The people in Saratoga are delusional to say the least. I went to look at some new homes that were built not far from W. Circular St and the Price Chopper. It's like a suburban area within the middle of town...anyways, out of curiosity I wanted to see what the asking price was for a particular home. It was large with an upstairs, freshly painted walls, perhaps 3-4 bedrooms, some yard space, etc...I asked the price the realtor said $750,000! I nearly laughed in his face. For this cardboard box they were asking this price? I wouldn't have paid more than $200,000 for it...but the real estate in Saratoga is high, at least that's what they say. One advantage, it is a walk-able city. In addition, I lived in the center of the city and used to ride my bike to the State Park, Skidmore College, and around the area. Having said that, the people can be a bit snooty. They think Common Grounds on Broadway is akin to a trendy restaurant in SoHo NYC! The black population in Saratoga are rather poor or an underclass for sure. There aren't many jobs in the area either. A lot of people work in Albany or the surrounding areas. Taxis are cheap and the people are relatively friendly. They love to show off their "special breed" dogs in summer. Overall, the town is OK for a visit in the summer and hang-out for a few days. The winters can be harsh. The roads are nice on Broadway but behind there you will find potholes, uneven sidewalks, etc.

A lot of the Black workers in the area were in service/tourism based jobs in the city. So, they weren't going to have upper middle income.

I think with Global Foundries in nearby Malta, you may have some that work there, but live in Saratoga Springs.

Another thing people may not realize is that Saratoga Springs isn't the county seat for Saratoga County. Ballston Spa is and in turn, many government employees and services are based out that village.

It may have changed since you've been there, as Saratoga County is the fastest growing county in the state and there has been new development throughout the county.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-01-2016 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area