Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,258 times

Advertisements

to CTThankgod. You don't live here...Syracuse is Akron 1970. SS is NOT Syracuse. The economy in this area is actually ok.

Here's a quote from a close friend who has lived in town (Saratoga Springs) for 35 years:
"What's happened to Saratoga is that it's become something of a "brand" and increasingly over the many years we've visited the town, it's become a destination for those wishing to attempt to make it known that they've "arrived".

The population swells during the seven weeks of track season to surreal numbers. Walking downtown will find you one of thousands. Restaurants and shops at most times of day are teeming with people. The traffic can rival that in downtown Boston at rush hour. Are the streets and adorable shops still charming? Yes, but it all gets exhausting.

There are many poseurs here these days; new money gone bad, I'd say, some with attention-seeking attitude galore. Many people who are wearing the same exact prepster outfits driving the same two or three vehicles with one of the gas guzzling SUVs now being top of the heap I think.
"Saratoga" has been turned into a "brand" that they wear like a badge.
A friend refers to them as "arrivistes"...indeed!

These days, prices on anything and everything have gone through the roof. Most things are simply ridiculously priced. The rationale is that shopkeepers and restaurant owners have but a few short months to "make their money" for the year. ...but that's too simplistic an answer. There is a sense of "gouging" at times for even the most mundane items and it can feel like everyone has their hand out for your tourist dollar. It gets old and stupid fast."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Empire State College does not teach class in Saratoga..it's the CDL and Admin Center and their classes are online. Saratoga is NOT a college town outside of Skidmore. But it attempts to be a cultural destination like Northampton...but it's mostly alcohol. In the winter there is very little outside of Lena, Northshire, and the Tang. The arts district on Beekman is a very sad joke that's changing constantly due to vacancies.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:29 PM

Sally..Northampton is part of the 5 college area (Smith, Amherst, ZooMass, Hampshire, and Mount Holyoke). They all interweave in Northampton. Saratoga is a tourist town with a college...and Empire is basically a distance learning college. Culturally, Saratoga is a skeleton compared to Northampton.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 PM

CTTHankgod...you really have some very twisted facts.

Tanglewood is NOT owned by the BSO...it's a venue (I grew up very close to it)

When you try to be Mr. Knowitall about areas outside of Syracuse you really get yourself in trouble. And what does income have to do with Saratoga being a flimsy imitation of Northampton? Money has nothing to do with culture....

Old 01-08-2016, 12:47 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
to CTThankgod. You don't live here...Syracuse is Akron 1970. SS is NOT Syracuse. The economy in this area is actually ok.

Here's a quote from a close friend who has lived in town (Saratoga Springs) for 35 years:
"What's happened to Saratoga is that it's become something of a "brand" and increasingly over the many years we've visited the town, it's become a destination for those wishing to attempt to make it known that they've "arrived".

The population swells during the seven weeks of track season to surreal numbers. Walking downtown will find you one of thousands. Restaurants and shops at most times of day are teeming with people. The traffic can rival that in downtown Boston at rush hour. Are the streets and adorable shops still charming? Yes, but it all gets exhausting.

There are many poseurs here these days; new money gone bad, I'd say, some with attention-seeking attitude galore. Many people who are wearing the same exact prepster outfits driving the same two or three vehicles with one of the gas guzzling SUVs now being top of the heap I think.
"Saratoga" has been turned into a "brand" that they wear like a badge.
A friend refers to them as "arrivistes"...indeed!

These days, prices on anything and everything have gone through the roof. Most things are simply ridiculously priced. The rationale is that shopkeepers and restaurant owners have but a few short months to "make their money" for the year. ...but that's too simplistic an answer. There is a sense of "gouging" at times for even the most mundane items and it can feel like everyone has their hand out for your tourist dollar. It gets old and stupid fast."
Just no and move on.....BTW-Just check the Tanglewood website to see who owns it. This really isn't as hard as some people make it out to be.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 PM

150 posts, read 300,609 times
Quote:
Empire State College does not teach class in Saratoga..it's the CDL and Admin Center and their classes are online. Saratoga is NOT a college town outside of Skidmore. But it attempts to be a cultural destination like Northampton...but it's mostly alcohol. In the winter there is very little outside of Lena, Northshire, and the Tang. The arts district on Beekman is a very sad joke that's changing constantly due to vacancies.

Hi
I work at ESC and we do, in fact, teach classes in Saratoga Springs. We have a face to face unit on West Ave in Saratoga Springs.
While ESC does have a large and thriving online program, we also have hundreds of students who we teach face to face in learning centers across the state and internationally.
http://www.esc.edu/where-to-study/

Last edited by Sally29; 01-08-2016 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: error

Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
CTTHankgod...you really have some very twisted facts.

Tanglewood is NOT owned by the BSO...it's a venue (I grew up very close to it)

When you try to be Mr. Knowitall about areas outside of Syracuse you really get yourself in trouble. And what does income have to do with Saratoga being a flimsy imitation of Northampton? Money has nothing to do with culture....
What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to bash SS and NY when you live in CT? You gave your opinion so fine, that's your opinion. Yet the majority of your posts are always negative and argumentative. You really need to move on and get some help.

PS CTThankGod, don't give him the satisfaction of replying to his anger or posts. You're wasting your time. He always has to have the last word and be right.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,899 times
Quote:
Oh people...contrary to what you might think, this town is the Marty McGillicuddy version of Northampton. I just realized that most people who tout this town are parochial locals, along with a lot of suburban Long Island/NJ who basically love the label of Saratoga. I don't know how to explain it to people outside of this area, but horseracing is a sleazy, corrupt cesspool that draws a lot of equally shady people to the track. It's not even an affluent town...relative to even some of the Rochester burbs and certainly Hartford. The east side of town is the epicenter for boorish rubes in raised ranches and a nice swath of section 8 housing near the track. Most of the eateries are high priced mediocrity? Lets debate this topic...because the folks running the tourist bureau certainly paint this town to be something it really isnt. It's the same group of people who go to Hilton Head and Newport. Parochial khaki wearing piggy faced wannabes with wives with hats that in any other world would get them laughed out of the room. Booooring!
I'm sorry but you come off as such a clown. I recently moved to the capital region and SS is a beautiful town. During track season, the place is hopping and creates an amazing atmosphere. Nothing in the capital region compares to SS. One reason I love the cap region is how close it is to Saratoga and everything SS has to offer.

Also SS is extremely safe. I live in Albany and I can walk around SS care free at 3-4 am and not worry about anyone bothering me. Good luck doing that in Albany. I can't argue that horse racing is a sleazy sport even though I love it.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:50 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktennis13 View Post
I'm sorry but you come off as such a clown. I recently moved to the capital region and SS is a beautiful town. During track season, the place is hopping and creates an amazing atmosphere. Nothing in the capital region compares to SS. One reason I love the cap region is how close it is to Saratoga and everything SS has to offer.

Also SS is extremely safe. I live in Albany and I can walk around SS care free at 3-4 am and not worry about anyone bothering me. Good luck doing that in Albany. I can't argue that horse racing is a sleazy sport even though I love it.
Totally agree with you.

PS It seems PROPOP is his alter ego.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,585 times
If you look at the violent crimes for Albany, Schenectady, and Troy then compare them to Saratoga Springs.. I mean there are hardly any at all in the latter. I don't live in any of them but as a parent, if I wanted to live in a more urban area here the only choice based off safety and schools would be SS. OP- is there even any town/city you like in upstate NY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area