Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 07:31 AM

19 posts, read 15,808 times

Advertisements

True...if we can Target (or should I say "Tar-zhay"?) then Wegmans might be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 02:49 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheothernamesweretaken View Post
True...if we can Target (or should I say "Tar-zhay"?) then Wegmans might be possible.
It is interesting though that there isn't an area in Upstate east of Syracuse or Binghamton with a Wegmans. So, there may be something to the "territory" statement.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:24 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is interesting though that there isn't an area in Upstate east of Syracuse or Binghamton with a Wegmans. So, there may be something to the "territory" statement.

Could be, but the most likely reason is Wegmans discovered that regions outside of NY offer higher profits and fewer regulations.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Could be, but the most likely reason is Wegmans discovered that regions outside of NY offer higher profits and fewer regulations.
Maybe, but why wouldn’t they put a store in one of the bigger Upstate metros, which just so happens to have one of the highest median household incomes of the bigger Upstate metros? Only the Poughkeepsie metro has a higher MHHI.

Also, it has put new stores in MA, Brooklyn and NJ, all of which have similar or the same regulations. So, the territorial aspect, among others, may actually come into play in regards to the Albany area not having a Wegmans.

Price Chopper’s headquarters are in Schenectady after all and perhaps they would like to at least have a stronghold in their own metro area.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but why wouldn’t they put a store in one of the bigger Upstate metros, which just so happens to have one of the highest median household incomes of the bigger Upstate metros? Only the Poughkeepsie metro has a higher MHHI.

Also, it has put new stores in MA, Brooklyn and NJ, all of which have similar or the same regulations. So, the territorial aspect, among others, may actually come into play in regards to the Albany area not having a Wegmans.

Price Chopper’s headquarters are in Schenectady after all and perhaps they would like to at least have a stronghold in their own metro area.

Wegmans just isn't building new stores in NY. I cite as an example, Victor. Why doesn't Wegmans have a store there? I thought they were allowing Wades to operate without competition, but then Tops bought them.

If you look where they are building, they are high growth and high income. Plus they are drawing people from an hour away, because of the Wegmans hype. I bet the stores easily do double the volume of NY stores

Old 04-18-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Wegmans just isn't building new stores in NY. I cite as an example, Victor. Why doesn't Wegmans have a store there? I thought they were allowing Wades to operate without competition, but then Tops bought them.

If you look where they are building, they are high growth and high income. Plus they are drawing people from an hour away, because of the Wegmans hype. I bet the stores easily do double the volume of NY stores
A part of the volume could be due to the new stores being much bigger than many of the NY locations and the fact it is pretty new to those new areas.

Victor is a bit odd, but it is still minutes from multiple locations(Canandaigua, Pittsford, Marketplace In Henrietta, etc.).

Again, with the Albany area, it does have what is Upstate’s fastest growing county in Saratoga County, which definitely has the demographic that the newer stores are built for in places like Saratoga Springs and Clifton Park, among a few others in that county. So, why would the supermarket not consider such an area given its location other than another supermarket brand based there has some say?

I also think that is why Price Chopper came up with the Market 32 and Market Bistro brands for some of its stores in terms of offering a more upscale shopping experience.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Victor is a bit odd, but it is still minutes from multiple locations(Canandaigua, Pittsford, Marketplace In Henrietta, etc.).

I'm surprised that you missed the closest store in Perinton.

Why do you think Victor is odd? I believe its the 2nd fastest growing town upstate. Depending on location, it could serve Fishers, Farmington, Mendon, Town of Canandagua, Shortsville and Manchester. Tops/former Wades is there. I think the reason is the thru traffic in the village is terrible.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
A part of the volume could be due to the new stores being much bigger than many of the NY locations and the fact it is pretty new to those new areas.

Again, with the Albany area, it does have what is Upstate’s fastest growing county in Saratoga County, which definitely has the demographic that the newer stores are built for in places like Saratoga Springs and Clifton Park, among a few others in that county. So, why would the supermarket not consider such an area given its location other than another supermarket brand based there has some say?

I also think that is why Price Chopper came up with the Market 32 and Market Bistro brands for some of its stores in terms of offering a more upscale shopping experience.

Wegmans largest store is in Dewitt, I believe 152,000 sq ft. Most Wegmans are 120-130,000 depending on configuration, but yes, the novelty, coupled with the hype draws shoppers from a wider area.

Saratoga might just barely have enough people at 27,000, but might draw from Glens Falls.

No New York store on Wegmans radar.

https://www.wegmans.com/about-us/***...ore-locations/

Old 04-19-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that you missed the closest store in Perinton.

Why do you think Victor is odd? I believe its the 2nd fastest growing town upstate. Depending on location, it could serve Fishers, Farmington, Mendon, Town of Canandagua, Shortsville and Manchester. Tops/former Wades is there. I think the reason is the thru traffic in the village is terrible.
I mean that it is odd that Victor doesn’t have one and that is why I put etc. at the end of locations as there are many reasonable options.

As for Saratoga County, it has around 230,000 people. Saratoga Springs has 27,000 in the city proper, but the school district covers about 50,000 people. That isn’t much different than say Auburn or Corning, both of which has a Wegmans. That doesn’t include the big and upper middle class Shenendehowa SD based in Clifton Park and covers about 65,000 people or even areas/SD’s like Ballston Spa and Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake. Both of those SD’s have another 50,000 people combined as well. So, a Wegmans would fit just fine, but I think Price Chopper isn’t having it terms of Wegmans coming into its metro area.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
One of the next Wegmans to open will be in Westchester County. I believe, Harrison. They just opened in Brooklyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area