Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,868,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Thanks for saying where your from. It's nice to hear from someone coming from the midwest. I started in Ohio. I love Ohio, but the weather is TOXIC. And comes with TOXIC utility bills. I would really like to find somewhere comparable, but less humid and less yucky weather. I hope the hiring manager picks me!

Out of curiosity does any one have an idea about why it snows there? I saw a youtube video, and looked up yearly snow fall. I was rather surprised. I thought Albuquerque, New Mexico would be like Phoenix, Arizona. But that is not the case!
Why it snows where?

Albuquerque, New Mexico and Phoenix, Arizona are very different in many respects. From the City vs. City forum you might look at these threads.
Albuquerque or Phoenix
Which is more urban, with more of a "big city" feel: Albuquerque or Phoenix?
Albuquerque vs Vegas vs Phoenix vs Tucson
Best retirement--Phoenix, Albuquerque, or Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM

444 posts, read 821,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Why it snows where?

Albuquerque, New Mexico and Phoenix, Arizona are very different in many respects. From the City vs. City forum you might look at these threads.
Albuquerque or Phoenix
Which is more urban, with more of a "big city" feel: Albuquerque or Phoenix?
Albuquerque vs Vegas vs Phoenix vs Tucson
Best retirement--Phoenix, Albuquerque, or Austin?

Interesting, I never noticed that portion on City-Data. Thanks Poncho_NM!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,113,012 times
Quote:
birth control is illegal in Mississippi?

I feel like there has got to be a catch . Right now, I'm thinking everyone should move to NM.
BC is illegal in Mississippi? I learn about some of the stupid laws around the country, but that's mind blowing. They win worst state in the country by a mile. If you are coming from anywhere half that awful, then NM will be the biggest improvement you could imagine.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,070,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
BC is illegal in Mississippi? I learn about some of the stupid laws around the country, but that's mind blowing. They win worst state in the country by a mile. If you are coming from anywhere half that awful, then NM will be the biggest improvement you could imagine.
I believe that law failed to gather the votes. In other words it is not illegal to take birth control in Mississippi.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 PM

801 posts, read 2,215,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
I believe that law failed to gather the votes. In other words it is not illegal to take birth control in Mississippi.
True...it was soundly defeated in 2011....even though it's a little scary that about 40 percent of the voters supported it.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 PM

444 posts, read 821,712 times
Thanks Everyone!

I'm going to be moving to ABQ end of next month , and can't wait!

Old 11-24-2013, 06:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,424,658 times
Like a lot of people from the east, I fell in love with Albuquerque when I moved here for university in 1990.

Around 2000 or so I got cold feet. 13+ years later and I am still trying to save up enough to move back east. Either that or I have really assimilated the 'Mañana' attitude and I'm just too lazy to leave :-)

Old 11-24-2013, 06:21 PM

299 posts, read 1,154,651 times
Quote:
Thanks Everyone! I'm going to be moving to ABQ end of next month , and can't wait!
Lucky you! I/we won't be moving to ABQ for about another two years. However, I am excited ... yup even at 67 y/o I still get excited about things like that. I have researched all of the places we would consider to include Washington state and the DFW area and all things considered ABQ fits the best. In the mean time will continue to read the Good & Bad posted here as both views are very interesting.

Hope you continue to post and keep us informed as to how your new place to live turns out for you.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Old 11-24-2013, 08:45 PM

426 posts, read 1,088,872 times
Only answering some questions...

2.) How much does renewing registration cost/how is that cost calculated? Depends on the year, make and model of your vehicle. Mine is a '97 so it's around $40 - $50 per year.
3.) Is there sales taxes? Yeah.
5.) What's an estimate for utility cost for say an 800 sqft apartment? Depends on how cool you want your apartment in the summer, warm in the winter. Water I would say $40 or less, depending on how much water you use. Internet around $60 per month, unless you get the higher speeds (40 mbps).
6.) are there mini malls? Yes.
7.) are grocery stores open 24 hours? Walmart.
8.) does anyone have any comments on traffic? Not too bad but people here are not the best drivers, so I frequently encounter traffic jams due to accidents on my way to/from work.
9.) How are public schools? Really is a mixed bag, but you can get a decent education in ABQ. Don't think the charter schools are the answer either. I've worked in many charters and the lack of discipline, resources, and respect for teachers and staff was sobering. Quite a bit of students I came across had behavior issues they brought with them from public school. If you want the best, pay to send your kids to a private school (if they can get accepted that is).
10.) Is car insurance cheap, medium, expensive compared to other state? Medium.
11.) Do you feel like your children are safe if they are outside after sunset? I wouldn't feel that way living in an apartment. A gated back yard or front yard, yes. But I don't have kids anyway so don't listen to what I say.
12.) Are there "dust storms"? Depending on where you live, yes.
13.) Is it a political extremist state (always democrat or always republican)? Mixed.
14.) what do you personally find odd about NM if you moved from another state? Personally find odd? I don't really know... I don't get some of the laws here.... and I don't like the people here either, but I don't know if you would call that odd.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,634,762 times
14.) what do you personally find odd about NM if you moved from another state?

Burglar bars everywhere - more than any other place I've lived in, including Miami. I HATE those things. The newer areas don't have them as much, thank goodness, because they give newcomers the wrong impression of the city.

It's brown. Buildings are brown. Ground is brown. Plants are brown. Fortunately the sky is not, it's a gorgeous clear blue, which makes up for the other brown stuff.

The clean air, the live and let live attitude, the excellent weather, the non-traffic (except maybe Paseo-I25), the culture, the history and the food make up for the brown and the burglar bars.

I pretty much agree with most of everyone's answers on #1-#13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque