Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM

444 posts, read 820,761 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a job in NM. Each state has funny cost associated with it, I'm wondering how NM is?

Disclosure: some questions are weird because I've lived in serval states.

1.) Are there excise taxes on vehicles?
2.) How much does renewing registration cost/how is that cost calculated?
3.) Is there sales taxes?
4.) City taxes?
5.) What's an estimate for utility cost for say an 800 sqft apartment?
6.) are there mini malls?
7.) are grocery stores open 24 hours?
8.) does anyone have any comments on traffic?
9.) How are public schools?
10.) Is car insurance cheap, medium, expensive compared to other state?
11.) Do you feel like your children are safe if they are outside after sunset?
12.) Are there "dust storms"?
13.) Is it a political extremist state (always democrat or always republican)?
14.) what do you personally find odd about NM if you moved from another state?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,845 times
1.) Are there excise taxes on vehicles?
3% Motor Vehicle Excise Tax

2.) How much does renewing registration cost/how is that cost calculated?

Quote:
The registration fee for passenger vehicles is based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $27.00 to $62.00 for a one (1) year registration or $54.00 to $124.00 for a two (2) year registration.

Registration fees for trucks with a declared gross vehicle weight (DGVW) of 26,000 pounds or less are also based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $38.00 to $207.00 for a one (1) year registration or $76.00 to $414.00 for a two (2) year registration.
3.) Is there sales taxes?

7% in Albuquerque. http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/SiteCol...Jan%202013.pdf

4.) City taxes?

Not sure exactly what this is meant to be. Sales tax? Property (actually is a county tax)?

5.) What's an estimate for utility cost for say an 800 sqft apartment?

It depends on lots of issues. Mostly the construction of the building. When I lived in an apartment the utilities were less than $60 per month.

6.) are there mini malls?

Yes. The city metro area is just over 900,000 people so yes you will find mini malls.

7.) are grocery stores open 24 hours?

Yes, there are a few open 24 hours.

8.) does anyone have any comments on traffic?

Traffic is easy compared to places like Dallas, LA, DC. On par with similarly sized cities.

9.) How are public schools?

As a whole APS isn't very good. Good thing though, you can find good public schools within APS. Do your due deligence and you'll find a good school(s).

I'd say about medium. I pay less than $100 per month for a full sized truck and a luxury suv.

11.) Do you feel like your children are safe if they are outside after sunset?

I do in my neighborhood. Though I don't know many parents that let their young kids roam around after sunset. Whether it is here or anywhere else.

12.) Are there "dust storms"?

Yes. Though depending on where you live in the city you may experience it more than other areas.

13.) Is it a political extremist state (always democrat or always republican)?

Typically NM leans to the left though we do have a Republican Governor and the city of Abq has a Republican Mayor. Voted for Obama the last two times. IME, as a whole is more centrist. Very live at let live state.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
4.) City taxes?

Not sure exactly what this is meant to be. Sales tax? Property (actually is a county tax)?
In some states, cities collect and income tax. EX, in Ohio each city collects 0.5% income tax, and some cities have a city sales tax of 0.25%.

Quote:
It depends on lots of issues. Mostly the construction of the building. When I lived in an apartment the utilities were less than $60 per month.
This is AMAZING! I've never paid less than an average of $120/month.

Quote:
As a whole APS isn't very good. Good thing though, you can find good public schools within APS. Do your due deligence and you'll find a good school(s).
Do you have any suggestions?

Quote:

I'd say about medium. I pay less than $100 per month for a full sized truck and a luxury suv.
Would you mind saying your model year?

Thanks NMHacker! NM sounds like a good place to live

Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
In some states, cities collect and income tax. EX, in Ohio each city collects 0.5% income tax, and some cities have a city sales tax of 0.25%.
A portion of the 7% gross receipts tax is a city tax. It is all collected under one.

Quote:
This is AMAZING! I've never paid less than an average of $120/month.
I pay slightly more than $120 per month for Gas and Electricity on a 2400sqft home. I didn't think about Internet/phone/tv as part of utilities so hopefully I didn't lead you astray.

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions?
Start here. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community That website is a great place. There are a couple teachers on this board that pop up from time to time that might be more help. I'm sure there are also longer term parents that can chime in. Sorry, but my son is only turning 5 and attends a private school.

Quote:
Would you mind saying your model year?
2007 Chevrolet Sierra Crew Cab and a 2009 Infiniti FX35.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I pay slightly more than $120 per month for Gas and Electricity on a 2400sqft home. I didn't think about Internet/phone/tv as part of utilities so hopefully I didn't lead you astray.
Right now, I'm in Boston and my electric+ gas bill was $180 last month for a 750sqft apt. In Ohio, I easily had utility bills over $200 a month. So the idea of $120 for 2400sqft home is AMAZING!

Even the idea of car insurance under $250-$300/month (in BOS they collect a "fee" $50-$80/month for doing monthly payments. )

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
Right now, I'm in Boston and my electric+ gas bill was $180 last month for a 750sqft apt. In Ohio, I easily had utility bills over $200 a month. So the idea of $120 for 2400sqft home is AMAZING!
Here is a thread you might read: Utilities - What Do You Pay For Gas - Electric - Water?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:26 PM

How are groceries and gas priced?

Is NM a gas "spike" state, or are the prices pretty consistant?

For groceries, do you happen to know a base line? For example how much is: milk, bananas, apples, chicken breasts?

Are there any goofy laws, like how birth control is illegal in Mississippi?

I feel like there has got to be a catch . Right now, I'm thinking everyone should move to NM.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
How are groceries and gas priced?

Is NM a gas "spike" state, or are the prices pretty consistant?

For groceries, do you happen to know a base line? For example how much is: milk, bananas, apples, chicken breasts?

Are there any goofy laws, like how birth control is illegal in Mississippi?

I feel like there has got to be a catch . Right now, I'm thinking everyone should move to NM.
Don't have time to respond to all of those. I'll reply to the catch many perceive to be. NM on the whole is a poor state. There is government corruption and lower than ideal educational opportunities. It is a small state in terms of population that until recently started growing a lot during the first decade of the 2000's. Due to the relatively small population good paying jobs can be hard to come by unless you are in the fields that are in demand. Many feel that due to the many families that have been here for 10-12 generations that the state is rampant in nepotism. All of that can and will be true in some cases. IT is everywhere around this country. There is no Utopian society. Everywhere has its good and bad. I just watched not long ago the Bourdain episode on NM and saw two quotes stuck out in my head that ring true to NM.

Quote:
You know, this country (referring to New Mexico), it either embraces you or within a year it spits you out.
Quote:
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Tony, I got a question for you. What do you think of New Mexico? Kind of what are your thoughts?

BOURDAIN: I want try to boil it down to a simple statement. If you're an Easterner and you come out to New Mexico you start to see metaphors in everything but actually if you were to stretch a little bit you could say that New Mexico is a perfect metaphor for America.

It is a total mutation. It's got Spanish, Mexican, original American and add a tinge of radioactivity. This is what America really is. We're an immigrant culture, we are a gun culture.

The expression of American power and identity has always been the lone cowboy with a gun. That goes deep. This is the heart of the American dream, love it or hate it, this is it.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,550,306 times
Here you go OP. This should help with prices.

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Old 10-24-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Here you go OP. This should help with prices.

Cost of Living comparison calculator
NICE! BEST COL calculator I've seen! UR AWESOME MR GEEK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque