Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 12:53 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Don't know where you get that data and it was never an issue with me when I visited years ago on business...

It is not an issue with me now...

From: https://archive.sltrib.com/article.p...49&itype=CMSID

If you like Salt Lake City that much, I suggest you move there... January would be an excellent time, there is some good skiing then.

This is the Albuquerque forum... Are there now going to be hundreds of other Non-Albuquerque posts here?
You've posted about how I should move there a couple of times now in this thread...what is this...Albuquerque: Love It or Leave It?
You quoted COUNTY stats for the Mormon population. I'm talking about the city proper.
I was just impressed with SLC, and no, Albuquerque is not an exact match but is certainly not dissimilar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 12:58 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
When I had relatives in town they described our downtown as a "cute little downtown". They had no complaints and liked the area. And these are people used to visiting the downtown areas of many large cities so they have something to compare it to.
That's awesome and great to hear!

Downtown Albuquerque has had dozens of new establishments open just this year. It has created nearly 1,400 new office jobs in the last year alone, nearly 3,000 since 2015. It has had a new, full-service grocery store and hundreds of new apartments open in the last three years. There are hundreds more apartments planned and a food hall under construction. New events like the annual Somos Festival and the monthly ABQ Artwalk have been created in the last two years. $600 million in development has occurred in the last five years. Lots of improvements and progress have been made in Downtown Albuquerque.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:07 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Correct. Other places can be examined to find out what they do which makes them successful/crime-free/etc and then people in Albq. can try to take elements of that and apply it back home.

(I'm not saying we need to model ourselves after the Mormon Church ... Definitely NOT saying that)

Why? Why do they have more money?
Maybe we should take a second look at the Mormons. If people in Albuquerque lived more like Mormons more often, I think this would be a wealthier, safer city.

It's partly about culture, and probably partly about demographics (not that I really think culture is unrelated to demographics).

Old 08-01-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
SLC also benefits from all the tech companies in surrounding communities. Also, do not underestimate the positive impact of the Mormon Church, both attitudinal and economic.
Exactly. I don't endorse any religion, certainly not Mormonism, but it's difficult to argue with the success that can be brought about by living according to certain religious dictates.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Maybe we should take a second look at the Mormons. If people in Albuquerque lived more like Mormons more often, I think this would be a wealthier, safer city.
Except this from last year:

"Salt Lake City ranked no. 1 most dangerous city for property crime in the U.S."

"Salt Lake City is one of only four cities in Utah that even has enough people to meet our population requirement of 100,000, and yet it tops the list of the most dangerous cities for property crime for the entire country,” the report said. “So much for small-town safety.”"

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...me-in-the-u-s/

Old 08-01-2019, 04:16 PM

Low Mormom rates of out of wedlock births probably helps:

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.p...47&itype=CMSID

Quote:
Washington, D.C. had the highest percentage of women with a birth in the previous year who were unmarried (51 percent), followed closely by Louisiana (49 percent), Mississippi (48 percent) and New Mexico (48 percent). The states with the lowest percentages were Utah (15 percent) and New Hampshire (20 percent).
https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ed-motherhood/

(Old stats grabbed on the run, but I'm doubtful the relative placement of states has changed much.)

Old 08-01-2019, 05:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Also, do not underestimate the positive impact of the Mormon Church, both attitudinal and economic.

Amen to that!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
I'm with ABQAlex and think that we don't need to compare city to city, I think Albuquerque stands on its own merits and doesn't need to be more like someplace else. I actually like that Albuquerque is rough around the edges and am glad it will never become some sterile Mormon metropolis dominated by people wearing "special underwear" to control their impulses.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I'm with ABQAlex and think that we don't need to compare city to city, I think Albuquerque stands on its own merits and doesn't need to be more like someplace else.
I agree... Been to Salt Lake City on business probably 15 to 20 times, 20+ years ago. I don't need to or want to go back. Too many other places for us to explore...

Old 08-01-2019, 07:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
You've posted about how I should move there a couple of times now in this thread...what is this...Albuquerque: Love It or Leave It?
No. This is the "City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque" forum...

There are other forums you could go to instead of bashing, trashing or taking Albuquerque off topic...

Your attention is invited to: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
"post in the correct forum/sub-forum"

"All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved"

Quote:
You quoted COUNTY stats for the Mormon population. I'm talking about the city proper.
So what! We are both now off topic!
Quote:
I was just impressed with SLC, and no, Albuquerque is not an exact match but is certainly not dissimilar.
But they are not related...

I suggest you go here: City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque