Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:16 PM

926 posts, read 763,310 times

Advertisements

slc air pollution is so bad it was #1 even before los angeles and with everyone driving in its going to get worse. with the boom every living place downtown is an airbnb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:39 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I agree... Been to Salt Lake City on business probably 15 to 20 times, 20+ years ago. I don't need to or want to go back. Too many other places for us to explore...
I was there only once, about 25 years ago for a conference, and enjoyed my visit. But what "lessons" people in Albuquerque should learn, I'm not sure. Do Cleveland, Des Moines, Memphis, or Tucson take "lessons" from Salt Lake City? I don't think so. I don't see why we need to (and rather resent the suggestion). We should focus on the positives that make us unique and not try to be like some other random city. One thing that keeps me here is that you know you're not someplace else when you're in New Mexico, we have a unique sense of place and history, and I think Albuquerque as the largest city with its central location in the state takes advantage of this. But I'm not sure that people who live on the outer western edges of the metropolitan area are really tapped into it. We could do more to rein in the sprawl.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:54 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,577,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Spent all of last week in Salt Lake City: highly impressed. With everything.
But the whole time I was there I was wondering why Albuquerque couldn't do some of the things that SLC did. Excellent light rail, a bustling downtown (even at 9 PM on a Wednesday night), events with music and bands on the common plaza (and packed, and beer and wine and food trucks as well, compared to the rest of the state, Salt Lake City is minority Mormon and the bar scene in SLC is thriving), indoor downtown shopping mall (an urban trend from 20 years ago but still thriving in SLC), clean, friendly, secure. Neighborhoods (even poorer ones) seemed to be a step up in maintenance, upkeep, appearance, and overall vibe.
Salt Lake City is smaller than ABQ in population (though you'd never know it from looking at it), though the metro populations are similar. Even have the mountains to the east like ABQ, the flagship state university is in town in both SLC and ABQ, and I saw a Salt Lake City Bees minor league baseball game at their ballpark south of downtown where they played...Albuquerque. A lot of commonalities.
Drove back and landed in ABQ yesterday....before going home I had dinner at the Andaluz and walked around downtown (didn't want vacation to end), and just got a bit disappointed in walking around. Salt Lake City was downright thriving and cosmopolitan in comparison.
This is the first time I've heard Salt Lake City's downtown described as 'bustling.' Healthy and not rundown? Yes, but bustling? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
If anyone tried to put in a light rail in ABQ I'm sure there'd be riots in the street. You can be sure SLC didn't build theirs without the blessing of the Mormon Church. Even the redevelopment in downtown SLC was backed by the church.

Albuquerque will have to develop in its own way, and there is development going on in the Nob Hill to Old Town corridor. Many new hotels & apartments, redevelopments of derelict motels, etc.

Metro SLC is 30% bigger population than ABQ, and the combined statistical area is double that of ABQ-SF-LV
Yes, the LDS Church is a MAJOR financier of Salt Lake City development, especially its downtown. The Church owns the City Creek Center with all of the shopping referenced.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:33 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,798,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Because they sought out businesses to locate there and in surrounding communities, while ABQ sought out federal government spending.
I'm curious as to why NM never has been capable of generating enough business and/or attracting enough business interest from other places so as to noticeably improve the economy.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
One thing that keeps me here is that you know you're not someplace else when you're in New Mexico, we have a unique sense of place and history,
You are retired or close to retirement, correct? This is fine for somebody in your position, but is inadequate for young people who need to be able to have opportunities.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:59 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,705,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm curious as to why NM never has been capable of generating enough business and/or attracting enough business interest from other places so as to noticeably improve the economy.
Not a lot of businesses beating down the door so they can pay Gross Receipts Tax.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You are retired or close to retirement, correct? This is fine for somebody in your position, but is inadequate for young people who need to be able to have opportunities.
I moved here in my mid-20's and New Mexico culture is what has kept me here. I had no shortage of opportunities especially exploring the great outdoors, archaeological sites, and local culture. I was all too happy to flee the rat-race environment of the East Coast and never looked back. New Mexico provides a different outlook and many people are attracted to that. Judging from the amount of time you spend reminiscing in the NM forums you obviously miss it.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Not a lot of businesses beating down the door so they can pay Gross Receipts Tax.
So, one possibility is to lower or eliminate Gross Receipts tax... Can this be done effectively without detriment to other aspects of NM economy?

Old 08-03-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I moved here in my mid-20's and New Mexico culture is what has kept me here. I had no shortage of opportunities especially exploring the great outdoors
You misunderstood me. I'm not talking about recreational opportunities, I'm talking about economic opportunities.
Quote:
Judging from the amount of time you spend reminiscing in the NM forums you obviously miss it.
I miss aspects of it. But I would like to see improvements. I would like to see crime go down, drug abuse reduced, and more economic opportunities. Everybody with a vested interested in NM needs to do their part. I personally do my part by giving opportunities to my nephews that they otherwise wouldn't have - I help them financially with their education and I pay for them to accompany me on my travels so they can experience other places because travel is an important component of a well rounded education.

Other things that can be done include tutoring and mentoring in your area of expertise; helping out with local charities, either financially or volunteering. Anything you can do to improve access to education, to encourage positive thinking, to encourage locals starting and participating in local business.

Last edited by 80skeys; 08-03-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-03-2019, 10:43 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,634,685 times
Albuquerque's economic turnaround and growth is beginning to be recognized. It was named as one of the top ten large metro areas for economic growth potential.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albuquer...-economic.html

The state's education and training programs and incentives as well as the strength of Albuquerque's tech scene were cited as reasons for Albuquerque's ranking.

Albuquerque is on an upward trend and trajectory. Lots of exciting things are happening right now and setting us up for future success. The narrative will change once more people discover and see what actually is happening here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque