Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 06:30 AM

104 posts, read 106,227 times

Advertisements

Is Los Alamos worth a trip from ABQ? I understand the actual Lab/s are closed/secured to the general public and probably secured to military personnel without clearance. Do they have, maybe a museum close by that is for the general public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 08:10 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
https://www.nps.gov/mapr/planyourvisit/losalamos-nm.htm

https://visitlosalamos.org/

Old 12-03-2023, 06:35 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
In the past, the main attraction for tourists within Los Alamos was the Bradbury Science Museum. From the interesting NPS link that alloo66 provided, it sounds like there are several Manhattan Project structures that can be viewed as well as a Los Alamos History Museum. The town is built on four long mesas with steep canyons and has a certain attractiveness. I also find it interesting to drive by some of the national laboratory Technical Areas with their mix of large research facilities and old WWII era industrial buildings. You cannot get that close but the Visitor Center personnel can probably guide you to the more accessible areas.

If you have not been that way, the 2 1/2 hour scenic drive from Bernalillo through the Village of Jemez Springs and the Valles Caldera National Preserve on Highway 4 is wonderful but it may not be the right season for this. The Los Ojos Restaurant and Saloon is an interesting stop in Jemez Springs. Not sure about the food but I love the old bar. There are hot springs in the area including one about 7 miles north of the Village and a quarter mile from Hwy 4.

Then there is the Bandelier National Monument. Some parts of the monument are currently closed and entry requires taking a shuttle during busy times of the year. Visit the National Park website for details and driving directions (access directly from Los Alamos may require that you show your driver's license and be subject to a random search).

The approach from Espanola to Los Alamos on Hwy 502 through White Rock has some pretty forest land but I like the dramatic very steep hairpin road approach from Hwy 502 to Hwy 501 straight into the town. The Manhattan Project Main Gate replica is along that stretch near the airport.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:25 PM

Thank you both for your helpful information and link. Since seeing the movie Oppenheimer, I would definitely like to spend a day up there, I have a fondness for science and history...

Old 12-28-2023, 08:27 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Have you been to the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History, here in Albuquerque? It's a major science museum (affiliated with the Smithsonian) and has displays on the Manhattan Project. If you like science and history it's a must see. You can spend several hours there. Also has several aircraft and missiles on the grounds around the museum. People come from around the country to visit it.

Sometimes it seems like people who live here don't know about the amazing things right here under our noses. I don't mean you, OP, but just speaking in general.

https://www.nuclearmuseum.org/

Old 01-03-2024, 07:32 PM

Yes I have, and I did enjoy the visit. Took a bunch of pictures and the old vintage B-52 is impressive to see. I believe they also had a vintage MIG, I think a MIG-17 if I'm not mistaken.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:28 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-...rail-national/

Old 01-07-2024, 07:18 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerDavidJohn View Post
Thank you both for your helpful information and link. Since seeing the movie Oppenheimer, I would definitely like to spend a day up there, I have a fondness for science and history...
The science museum runs a film several times/day on the history of selecting and developing the site, and other historical info. Definitely worth watching.

Old 01-10-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
In the past, the main attraction for tourists within Los Alamos was the Bradbury Science Museum. From the interesting NPS link that alloo66 provided, it sounds like there are several Manhattan Project structures that can be viewed as well as a Los Alamos History Museum. The town is built on four long mesas with steep canyons and has a certain attractiveness. I also find it interesting to drive by some of the national laboratory Technical Areas with their mix of large research facilities and old WWII era industrial buildings. You cannot get that close but the Visitor Center personnel can probably guide you to the more accessible areas.

If you have not been that way, the 2 1/2 hour scenic drive from Bernalillo through the Village of Jemez Springs and the Valles Caldera National Preserve on Highway 4 is wonderful but it may not be the right season for this. The Los Ojos Restaurant and Saloon is an interesting stop in Jemez Springs. Not sure about the food but I love the old bar. There are hot springs in the area including one about 7 miles north of the Village and a quarter mile from Hwy 4.

Then there is the Bandelier National Monument. Some parts of the monument are currently closed and entry requires taking a shuttle during busy times of the year. Visit the National Park website for details and driving directions (access directly from Los Alamos may require that you show your driver's license and be subject to a random search).

The approach from Espanola to Los Alamos on Hwy 502 through White Rock has some pretty forest land but I like the dramatic very steep hairpin road approach from Hwy 502 to Hwy 501 straight into the town. The Manhattan Project Main Gate replica is along that stretch near the airport.

I did visit Jemez Springs this last Fall, and I saw the sites e.g. Soda Dam, BattleShip Rock (I think that is what they call it), and of course Valles Caldera National Preserve.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:16 PM

Well, I made it up to Los Alamos yesterday. What enriching trip back in History, went through the two museums and saw Dr. Oppenheimers house he and his wife lived in during the time he worked on the Manhattan Project. Nice view from the Smiths Market/Starbucks. I stopped for coffee at the Starbucks cause I got into town earlier than I had planned. They had some huge donuts at the Smiths, and I did not oblige. I did not go to the Lab as the Museum Curator told me that there is nothing really to see, you can't go beyond the Cafateria without a badge. I am glad I went, what I learned was just fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque