Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:50 PM

56 posts, read 179,449 times

Advertisements

I'm reviving this thread rather than starting a new one....

We've found 2 houses between Juan Tabo and Tramway just south of Menual...this is 87114 zip..... EnjoyEP didn't have anything to say about that zip in that wonderful post above....
did someone, somewhere say that you want to stay away from I-40? - as in get further north? (can't remember...) or did I dream that?

It seems upon first look as if east of Tramway is going to be a bit pricey for our blood...we're wanting to stay below 200,000 if possible...

still looking in RR but nothing new there since I looked in detail 2 weeks ago...

so, what do you know about the "south of Menual" area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,786 times
"We've found 2 houses between Juan Tabo and Tramway just south of Menual...this is 87114 zip"...no, it's not. 87114 is where we live, on the west side.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmacm View Post
I'm reviving this thread rather than starting a new one....

We've found 2 houses between Juan Tabo and Tramway just south of Menual...this is 87114 zip..... EnjoyEP didn't have anything to say about that zip in that wonderful post above....
did someone, somewhere say that you want to stay away from I-40? - as in get further north? (can't remember...) or did I dream that?

It seems upon first look as if east of Tramway is going to be a bit pricey for our blood...we're wanting to stay below 200,000 if possible...

still looking in RR but nothing new there since I looked in detail 2 weeks ago...

so, what do you know about the "south of Menual" area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
"We've found 2 houses between Juan Tabo and Tramway just south of Menual...this is 87114 zip"...no, it's not. 87114 is where we live, on the west side.
Hey, rgmacm -

Yeah, the cat is right...I think you might have been told an incorrect zip. 87114 is on the Northwest side...if you go back to my post, you'll see that I listed it. It is just not on the side you are looking at houses at.

Having said that...I would like it if berncohomes could come back and verify the info I am about to give you. Remember, this is from a bloke who hasn't lived in ABQ since August-07 and has been back only once since then...I *believe* that the houses you'd be looking at would be in quite nice areas.

The I-40 thing I had thrown out there more related to the WEST side...you are obviously looking far east with these homes. *Typically*, an old standard rule (at least that my eyes were used to) was that *in general*, the Southeast wasn't the greatest area / quadrant to be in, however, a. you aren't even in the Southeast where you're looking (you're still in the Northeast), and b. No matter where you are in ABQ, as a general rule, the farther east you get in terms of being near or really close up to the mountains, you'll be in fairly nice neighborhoods.

So long story short, unless berncohomes would contradict me, I am 99.5% confident that you're looking in a very, very nice area. (I used to run in the exact area you are looking at, as well as travel to on extensive business, so I think I am right)...

Slightly cooler weather than the majority of ABQ (due to higher altitude and near-foothill status), thus, you'll get a hare more snow than the remainder of the city, but again, a very nice (and quite scenic) location.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
EP is correct. I think people tend to prefer north of I-40 on the westside and north of Central, east of San Mateo.

I think the zip code you are looking at is 87112 and is a nice area.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 PM

72 posts, read 195,714 times
Pretty much area in Albuquerque (as in just about any city) can be hit or miss. For example, there are some really nice neighborhoods in 87112, also some not so nice neighborhoods. My advice would be to drive around and pay attention to the homes, ie, are they well maintained, are there like 20 cars parked in the lawn, etc. Whenever I am in the market for a new home, I always drive through the neighborhood at night, that usually gives you a good idea of what it's really like.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 PM

Ok....I got that zip from a realtor website...hmmmmm....oh well... sounds like it's a mistake...

We are planning to come to albuquerque the end of this month if everything goes as planned (and here lately NOTHING has been going 'as planned' - ugh!!!) so we'll see....

I know I need to really be there to really know what things are like...it's just the info-maniac in me that needs all this information...and the fact that when we come, we will probably only have 2 days. There will be so much to do and see and decide, I just wanted to have all the information I could possibly have. I also had this idea that I would show up with a list of 10 houses i wanted to see... ha!!

THEN....while talking to my mother on the phone, she mentioned the idea of possibly looking for a "rent to own" home just to give us the opportunity to REALLY find out what and where before making a permanent purchase.

Does anyone know what things look like on that front?
thanks so much...

Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
Did the properties with the wrong zip codes have MLS #'s? Sounds like the listing agent(s) entered the wrong zip which won't help them sell the properties. If you DM me the MLS #'s I will pass it on so they can rectify the problem.

I would say rent before rent to own. We rented in three area's of town before we decided to finally purchase.

With rent to own a portion of your rent goes towards the purchase price and after a fixed period of time that balance counts as equity when you go to finance the property. The catch is that if you decide not to purchase then they keep the equity, you also will be paying a premium base rent.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Did the properties with the wrong zip codes have MLS #'s? Sounds like the listing agent(s) entered the wrong zip which won't help them sell the properties. If you DM me the MLS #'s I will pass it on so they can rectify the problem.

I would say rent before rent to own. We rented in three area's of town before we decided to finally purchase.

With rent to own a portion of your rent goes towards the purchase price and after a fixed period of time that balance counts as equity when you go to finance the property. The catch is that if you decide not to purchase then they keep the equity, you also will be paying a premium base rent.

I'm just now getting back to this....my sister came for a visit and while here, first one, then the other of her children came down with strep. She headed home when the 2nd one got sick. That evening, MY FAMILY started running fevers... ugh!!! I've been slightly "unavailable" for a while now....

I can't even remember the house or website of that house now...to much going on to think straight. For a while last week, i really didn't care if the whole western part of this country fell off the map but that's probably just high fevers talking.
Someone else will have to correct that mistake...

This job offer includes relocations expenses but obviously only ONCE. Moving into an Alb. rental while we sell our Tulsa home means a 2nd move which we pay for when we find that perfect home in Alb.

We could always be a divided family with the kids and I staying in Tulsa to sell the house while hubby lives in a hotel in Alb. ---- but yuck!!.
I have even thought (temporarily) about moving the contents of our home to storage in Alb. until we sell and buy, but that brings us back to moving twice and paying for that 2nd move.

There doesn't seem to be any good options!!!

Just to put things in perspective: We have a 2400 sq. ft house - 4 bedroom 2 living, 2 dining, an attic full of decorations, files, work related materials and memories, plenty of yard furniture and yard maintenace equipment (a storage shed full) - not to mention the 2 dogs! Even with brutal purging (which i've already begun) it will take a convoy to get us from OK to NM! That's why the idea of rent to own SEEMED so attractive. However, I didn't realize it would include premium rent. After being homeowners for 21 years, it's hard to go back to throwing money away on rent. We THOUGHT that even a portion of our rent going toward "investment" would be a good thing....but maybe not. Decisions Decisions Decisions....-Back to the drawing board....

Maybe we should just be "the family that lives in 2 states/2 cities/2homes." and not really move at all! ugh!!!

I HAVE made one decisions in all this: The minute my husband gets a job, the first thing I'm buying is one of those "That Was Easy" buttons at Staples. (do they have Staples in Albuquerque??) I will punch it every 10 minutes until I finally believe it!

Old 08-17-2009, 11:10 PM

6 posts, read 16,399 times
Try renting for awhile and get to know the area before you jump in and buy a house you might regret. The NE heights historically has been a safe bet for renting and based on the current Real Estate market the prices are not going to all of a sudden jump up. If you are going to buy. Spend some time with a couple of different Real Estate agents (at least 3) to get different prespectives on the area's of the city. A good agent will earn your business and trust.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
what is the best area in alb to live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque