Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

56 posts, read 179,394 times

Advertisements

I have read that the southwest quadrant of Albuquerque is not the best neighborhoods (safety, gangs, crime, poor resale value, etc...).
However, in my real estate search, I'm finding many nice homes that are certainly NOT run down or cheap in this area. OK....I"m confused!!! Are there nice neighborhoods there? Is my previous information "uninformed"? These homes don't seem to be "slummy" and the neighborhoods don't seem to be "gang-infested"....are looks deceptive?

We will probably come to town to look things over in a few weeks, but will need to maximize out time as much as possible - i.e. I want to KNOW what I'm doing before we ever drive into the city limits. I"m also not sure I can totally trust what a real estate agent says...they are interested in selling their listings...I'm the one interested in finding the "perfect" house for my family...

Boy...this moving state-to-state.....and totally outside your comfort zone is tough!!! HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
This question sounds so familiar. I think someone asked something almost identical a few mos back.

Anyway, that particular area experienced a lot of growth in the past 10 yrs. I believe a lot of more affordable homes went up there. I can't speak with authority to that quadrant, but I believe it is a lot less desirable than north of Central or even north of I-40 on the west side of town.

Ah, here's the thread I was thinking about:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ns-sw-abq.html

Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,960 times
I think there was a similar post. On the west side, the further south you go, the cheaper the homes and more questionable the neighborhoods....in general. There are blocks within neighborhoods and neighborhoods themselves that are exceptions.
I would not live S of I-40. But that's me.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:21 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,094 times
Get a Buyer's Agent.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
I have a co-worker from Minnessota that moved into a decent more newer stlye houses type neighborhood in the SW part of town and has had many problems already, he's only been there around 6 months also.

alot of the newer houses in that area are occupied with gangmembers or drug dealers too, just cause a house may look newer dont mean that good quality people live there, but if you really want to live there then go for it.

of course there are good people in that area just like in any not so great neighborhood in the country.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
Follow the link that Lisdol posted. That pretty much summed up the general
opinion on SW.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:56 PM

56 posts, read 179,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Get a Buyer's Agent.
ok...It's been 18 years since I've worked with a real estate agent (18 years raising a family in 1 house = the reason I'm struggling with this whole "relocation" thing... ha!) and that agent was MY UNCLE!!! The agent we worked with 23 years ago on our first home was a very close personal friend. I've never NEEDED to "protect" myself...

So....i didn't know there was such a thing as a "buyer's agent"....How do you find one? I haven't seen this adveertised anywhere.... I'm looking mostly with Coldwell Banker, Century 21 and Mark & Sheila Realtors. There isn't anything on those websites that say anything about being either a "buyer's" or "seller's" agent.... It's not that I have any great "connection" with these companies...they're just the ones that came up on a googlesearch.

The idea that the "bad guys" would be living in nice homes is a totally foreign concept to me. Obviously, we have 'bad guys" in Tulsa, but they're NOT living in south TUlsa. "South" Tulsa is abusing perscription drugs. (the drug abuse of the rich...)

Last edited by rgmacm; 07-28-2009 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 05:11 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,960 times
My parents moved here two years ago and used a great guy...I sent you a PM.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmacm View Post
ok...It's been 18 years since I've worked with a real estate agent (18 years raising a family in 1 house = the reason I'm struggling with this whole "relocation" thing... ha!) and that agent was MY UNCLE!!! The agent we worked with 23 years ago on our first home was a very close personal friend. I've never NEEDED to "protect" myself...

So....i didn't know there was such a thing as a "buyer's agent"....How do you find one? I haven't seen this adveertised anywhere.... I'm looking mostly with Coldwell Banker, Century 21 and Mark & Sheila Realtors. There isn't anything on those websites that say anything about being either a "buyer's" or "seller's" agent.... It's not that I have any great "connection" with these companies...they're just the ones that came up on a googlesearch.

The idea that the "bad guys" would be living in nice homes is a totally foreign concept to me. Obviously, we have 'bad guys" in Tulsa, but they're NOT living in south TUlsa. "South" Tulsa is abusing perscription drugs. (the drug abuse of the rich...)

well the bad guys arnt living in NICE homes, well I guess they are nice cause they are newer but they are your typical tract house and cheap too, so that is why they live in those houses. Some of the bangers and druggies are kids whose parents live in those houses.

but I think you should just make the move to the SW part of town, you seem like you really want to and want someone to tell you something more positive to help with your decision.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,094 times
There are a few Buyer's Agents @ Coldwell Banker. Maybe you should give them (or any other firm) a call, the interweb can't solve every problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque