Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:30 PM

429 posts, read 1,477,407 times

Advertisements

Maybe a few of those redheaded centipedes too... I'd be OK with that. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 06:05 PM

102 posts, read 586,468 times
Nice pic, soggy. I love those birds I wish they would eat these critters!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Cooool! Great opportunity and great shots, Soggy.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,630 times
Default Know anything about the giant roadrunner made out of junk?

It's located at the I-10 rest area just west of Las Cruces - anyone who travels that way has seen it many times, I'm sure. I recently stopped to take a few photos of it and upon researching info about it, there wasn't much.

Who made it?
When was it transported to the rest area? (I read it was assembled near the former site of the city dump)
How long has it been there?

Would love to hear any stories!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times
The Olin Calk junk sculpture Roadrunner is my favorite piece of public art in the LC area. This is a pretty detailed article and should answer all your questions. I love it that people are adding graffitti to the tennis shoes. Last year I saw one written by a friend of mine.
D* e* s* e* r* t**** E* x* p* o

Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,630 times
Thanks tecptal - out of the Google search I did on it that page never came up.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:15 PM

13 posts, read 35,372 times
Oh, i need to see this!!!!

I love this kind of art and especially anything recycled...

interesting website....
Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

It is always such a thrill to just stumble onto something that someone has put their soul into.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
Default Just watched a roadrunner stalk and catch a finch

We've got a tubular mesh birdfeeder in the back yard that attracts a LOT of birds; finches,
doves, a few sparrows and the inevitable pigeons. We go through about 25-35 pounds of
birdseed a week so we're obviously a popular stop for the local birds' foodie Meetup groups.

Yesterday I saw a roadrunner with a small bird in its beak as it ran along our back wall and
today I spotted it in an obvious hunting posture and watched it do its thing.

There were about 8-10 doves and the same number of finches in the yard on the feeder,
on the ground nearby and in a small tree that overhangs the feeder. The roadrunner
stayed frozen about 20 feet away for several minutes, then charged scattering most
of the birds. The odd thing was that it didn't seem to have charged as fast as it could
have; I've seen them move much faster.

The roadrunner was now a couple feet from our rear wall as well as the small tree where
it froze in place facing the tree. Again, it did not move for several minutes, and
eventually most of the birds returned and it slowly raised its head in a fixed stare at
one finch on a lower branch.

The finch bobbled around a bit for a minute, then settled in watching the doves on the
feeder and waiting its turn. The roadrunner never ceased to watch the finch and v-e-r-y
slowly shifted its position until it was facing directly toward it.

Quickly and quietly, it took a half dozen steps forward and then froze again, now directly
under the finch which was about six feet above it. Again, a minute went by and then the
roadrunner launched straight up nailing the finch from below.

A couple quick slams on the ground and the finch was done.

The whole stalk took at least 7-8 minutes and it's hard to emphasize just how absolutely
methodical the roadrunner was. I really think that first, somewhat slow charge was never
intended to actually result in a capture, it was to scatter the birds, allow the roadrunner
to better position itself and to then wait out the birds' return to the feeder whereupon
sooner or later some bird would place itself in a vulnerable position. It was obvious that
the roadrunner knew where the finch's blind spots were and carefully positioned itself to
take advantage of them resulting in an unexpected attack from below.

Very impressive..

Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM

167 posts, read 598,455 times
Wow, Thats quite a post and quite an observation! Thank you Mike....

I once saw a roadrunner attempt to go after a swallows nest that was under my front door. What was interesting is that ALL the other swallows went after the roadrunner. It was like they formed an instant community as there were at least 10 of them and then they all dove bombed the roadrunner to scare it off. It worked too.... no baby birds were harmed, at least from what I saw.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Those Road Runners can be aggressive.

I had a video floating around here in the forum of a Road Runner eating some type of bird.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque