Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confaye View Post
OH MY GOSH this just happened to me today! I started drinking this coffee star buck blonde for the first time yesterday was okay! Today I drank it again within about an hour my got skin got hot and stinging it looked like I had a sunburn! Call the DR. told me it was a reaction take Benadryl WHAT the heck are they putting in this coffee.
On thing about allergies: you can't be allergic to something you've never had before. So the first time you had it, there was no reaction. Whatever it was, you've never ingested it before in your life. It doesn't sound as though it could be caffeine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,525 times
Default three people now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
WHAT!? Now 2 people? This is serious...can you guys tell Starbucks....please?
I'm never ordering it and telling my friends!
Thank you...but I think more needs to be done.

Yes I reported it, they told me I must be allergy to nuts and no one else has ever told them that they had a reaction to coffee. It was the Blonde coffee the other don't seems to affect me, we will see tomorrow.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
On thing about allergies: you can't be allergic to something you've never had before. So the first time you had it, there was no reaction. Whatever it was, you've never ingested it before in your life. It doesn't sound as though it could be caffeine.
I thought that was true until I had a severe reaction to the first dose of a medication. It's made from Gila monster venom, so it's very unlikely that I had ever encountered it before.

I had a couple of transfusions two years ago and since then I have developed a lot of allergies that I never had before. I've wondered if it could be related to the transfusions.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
I had the exact same reaction as the other people! I drink coffee every morning and have had the Starbucks blonde roast kcups before but I opened up a new box and within minutes of drinking the Starbucks blonde roast I felt like my whole body was burning from the inside and I had a rash all over me. I have never had an allergic reaction to anything my entire life. There is something wrong with the coffee. I will be writing to Starbucks.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I thought that was true until I had a severe reaction to the first dose of a medication. It's made from Gila monster venom, so it's very unlikely that I had ever encountered it before.

I had a couple of transfusions two years ago and since then I have developed a lot of allergies that I never had before. I've wondered if it could be related to the transfusions.
That is really weird! It was a very good allergist who told me that you couldn't be allergic to something you had never been exposed to before. But Gila monster venom??? No, I can't fathom where you would have had that before either! Possibly there is something in it that is biologically related to something you have had before? I don't know. But, for instance, a person could react to one of the millions? of types of mold even if they had not been exposed to that particular mold before because of a cross reaction.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
That is really weird! It was a very good allergist who told me that you couldn't be allergic to something you had never been exposed to before. But Gila monster venom??? No, I can't fathom where you would have had that before either! Possibly there is something in it that is biologically related to something you have had before? I don't know. But, for instance, a person could react to one of the millions? of types of mold even if they had not been exposed to that particular mold before because of a cross reaction.
My doctor said it was likely that I was reacting to the preservatives in it, after I also had a reaction to a flu shot in her office. In the last 5 months I have become allergic to soy, peanut, almond, palm, coconut and chicory, so I'm starting to think I have something more going on that is causing all the allergies.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:

That's correct - you can't be allergic to something you have never been exposed to previously - its true, since it requires a memory response and IgE. However - you CAN have a severe anaphylactoid response.

Its the difference between an anaphylactic response (IgE immune mediated) and anaphylactoid response.

To the person suffering - it makes no difference since both can be life threatening. So if the person above was not having an allergic reaction to the non-active ingredients in the gila monster venom jab, then she was likely having an anaphylactoid response to the venom (or more likely, exenatide, an synthetic version of a substance found in gila monster venom.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
I realize this is an old thread but I think there is a possibility I've become allergic to my favorite Starbucks beverage- one I've had multiple times a week for a decade (with the exceptions being when I've been pregnant)

Grande Triple Vanilla Latte on Soy Milk

I got one just prior to taking the kids to a mall play area the other day, and by the time we got there I felt like I was at deaths door, even though I'd felt fine prior. I thought I might just be suddenly sick or allergic to something at the mall.

By later that evening I was feeling OK and was 100% by the following morning.

Today, I got a Starbucks again (same order) from a different location (drive thru), and I wasn't even half way through and suddenly I had the same symptoms as the other day.

If I'm allergic to something in my Starbucks order I'm going to be seriously displeased

Is it possible that neither store used the correct non-dairy containers? (I'm allergic to cows milk). I've never had an issue prior to this though.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I realize this is an old thread but I think there is a possibility I've become allergic to my favorite Starbucks beverage- one I've had multiple times a week for a decade (with the exceptions being when I've been pregnant)

Grande Triple Vanilla Latte on Soy Milk

I got one just prior to taking the kids to a mall play area the other day, and by the time we got there I felt like I was at deaths door, even though I'd felt fine prior. I thought I might just be suddenly sick or allergic to something at the mall.

By later that evening I was feeling OK and was 100% by the following morning.

Today, I got a Starbucks again (same order) from a different location (drive thru), and I wasn't even half way through and suddenly I had the same symptoms as the other day.

If I'm allergic to something in my Starbucks order I'm going to be seriously displeased

Is it possible that neither store used the correct non-dairy containers? (I'm allergic to cows milk). I've never had an issue prior to this though.
Soy is a common allergen. You can develop new allergies at any age so maybe you've been drinking so much soy as a dairy replacement that you've become allergic to it. Maybe you could buy a small container of soy milk and try and little bit to see if you get the same reaction.

There are better dairy substitutes than soy--try coconut milk, rice milk, almond milk, etc. Anyway, my first guess would be a soy allergy.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:07 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
It's true about SOY and I avoid it with a passion. Soy is known to inhibit thyroid production and I for one had horrible fatigue when I got on the soy bandwagon a couple decades ago. No more.

Also, a friend told me her MD told her no no on starbucks coffee as their process produces more fibroids in breast. My friend was an avid starbucks coffee drinker, no more...she has a history of fibroids. Look at a nice organic coffee with a coconut and or almond creamer...I don't spend my money on those fancy coffees.

I'm using a nice creamer now, Califia, which is almond and coconut creamer blend. So nice. Here is their list of products. Sold at major markets etc.

https://www.califiafarms.com/shop-pr...udeUnavailable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies