Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:29 PM

653 posts, read 816,274 times

Advertisements

From what I read, nobody has found a cause or way to treat this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
I'm going to stick with acupuncture for now. Acupuncture and Chinese herbs are the only things that have given me a real glimpse of this thing lifting. I can't make up my mind whether to request that my acupuncturist return to using electrical stim. or whether to let him do his thing for a while. Maybe by addressing my overall health it will carry over into resolving the sinus problem. I don't know.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Maybe by addressing my overall health it will carry over into resolving the sinus problem. I don't know.
I agree with you on that one. Maybe addressing overall health will improve our sinus problems. I read that anxiety can contribute to sinus problems, as well as stress.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Default Mucous recirculation syndrome

I wonder how many MDs are aware of this potential diagnosis.

In clinical practice, nonallergic rhinosinusitis (rhinopathy) is a common diagnosis of exclusion. The mucous recirculation syndrome is one incompletely defined condition that masquerades as nonallergic rhinopathy. Mucous recirculation syndrome, a curable condition, should be differentiated from nonallergic rhinopathy. The underdiagnosis of this condition is due in part to a lack of diagnostic criteria. In this article, we review the medical literature to better characterize mucous recirculation syndrome and to establish diagnostic criteria for it.

Diagnostic Criteria for a Curable Form of Chronic R... [Am J Med. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

I doubt this is what I have, but maybe it will be useful to others to know about it.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I wonder how many MDs are aware of this potential diagnosis.

In clinical practice, nonallergic rhinosinusitis (rhinopathy) is a common diagnosis of exclusion. The mucous recirculation syndrome is one incompletely defined condition that masquerades as nonallergic rhinopathy. Mucous recirculation syndrome, a curable condition, should be differentiated from nonallergic rhinopathy. The underdiagnosis of this condition is due in part to a lack of diagnostic criteria. In this article, we review the medical literature to better characterize mucous recirculation syndrome and to establish diagnostic criteria for it.

Diagnostic Criteria for a Curable Form of Chronic R... [Am J Med. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

I doubt this is what I have, but maybe it will be useful to others to know about it.

are you still trying to figure out whats going on? I gave up. Im just learning to live with it

Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
are you still trying to figure out whats going on? I gave up. Im just learning to live with it
I'm still trying to eliminate my symptoms, yes. I'm not sure I can learn to live with it, since I feel like I haven't had a life for the last eleven years; so "living" with it may not be an option.

It would be easier if I could drop out of society and not deal with the pressures to act like I have a normal life, but I need to keep working. People assume that because I can make it through a work day, most of the time, that therefore my health isn't too bad.

Anyway, if I get to the point where I give up on the possibility of controlling the symptoms to the extent that I can have something like the life I had before, it's possible I will decide to give up on life entirely. Very possible. Not recommending that to anyone else, of course.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Long Dan Xie Gan Wan

I have been back on Long Dan Xie Gan Wan for three weeks, as of yesterday, and once again I am seeing a big improvement in my response to barometric pressure changes. Essentially no sinus pressure today or yesterday. The brand I am taking calls it Snake & Dragon pills, but there are other brands (and variants).

It seems like it would be worth a try, even for people for whom barometric pressure changes aren't the main trigger. Look for one that is authenticated as following GMP (good manufacturing practices), and hope it's legitimate. Unfortunately, it's not recommended for long-term use, but if it works for me I will keep taking it anyway (though I will definitely try to taper, down the road). It can't be worse than the crud I've been taking to manage my symptoms.

I only stopped taking it previously because my current acupuncturist recommended against it. But since he wasn't exactly getting great results, I decided to try it again. I may keep it a secret from my acupuncturist for now. (I am going to continue with acupuncture because at least my current doctor was getting some results, and my allergies still need a lot of improvement.)

Edit: Last time I was taking this, it took me a little over four weeks to see noticeable improvement.

I probably shouldn't be recommending this and should probably advise you to go to an actual doctor of Chinese medicine, but here's the thing: I had one licensed acupuncturist recommend this to me, and another recommend against it. So even when I sought out expert advice, I was thrown back on myself.

And this is such a difficult problem to solve. I think we have a right to experiment on ourselves and draw our own conclusions. Maybe I will make a mistake in the long run, but considering the desperation, quite sincere, I expressed just a couple days ago, I think it's worth a shot.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 08-14-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I'm still trying to eliminate my symptoms, yes. I'm not sure I can learn to live with it, since I feel like I haven't had a life for the last eleven years; so "living" with it may not be an option.

It would be easier if I could drop out of society and not deal with the pressures to act like I have a normal life, but I need to keep working. People assume that because I can make it through a work day, most of the time, that therefore my health isn't too bad.

Anyway, if I get to the point where I give up on the possibility of controlling the symptoms to the extent that I can have something like the life I had before, it's possible I will decide to give up on life entirely. Very possible. Not recommending that to anyone else, of course.

I know what you mean. i havent had a life the last 2 years. Luckily, I am able to go to work, though sometimes i cant. Its like you said before, some days you just cant get out of bed. Its basically, home and work for me. Ive even started doing my shopping online.

For me, depression definitely set in. I remember how life was before and it just makes me feel worse. I don't feel comfortable going anywhere; even more when I am around people. I was at a funeral about a month ago, and about an hour in the symptoms set in. Its just so random. One minute, you are fine, the next minute they start up again, and sometime afterwards, they are gone. One minute you are doing fine, the next you cant breathe out of your nose. Its made exercising a real adventure.

People assume I am crazy, like its all psychological. Aside from work, I have practically dropped out of society.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Oh and Ive noticed that it is always worse for me in the summer. October-March are not that bad for me. Still, it be nice if I didnt have this crap to worry about

Old 08-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
For me, depression definitely set in. I remember how life was before and it just makes me feel worse. I don't feel comfortable going anywhere; even more when I am around people. I was at a funeral about a month ago, and about an hour in the symptoms set in. Its just so random. One minute, you are fine, the next minute they start up again, and sometime afterwards, they are gone. One minute you are doing fine, the next you cant breathe out of your nose. Its made exercising a real adventure.
My symptoms are more regular than that, but it's still hard to predict exactly how intense they will be. For me it's daily, with very few exceptions. So on my days off, I try to figure out the most important things that need to get done and try to do them before I crash. I basically don't exercise at this point, due to lack of energy.

Quote:
People assume I am crazy, like its all psychological. Aside from work, I have practically dropped out of society.
I am able to work too, but I derive very little satisfaction from it. It's mostly an endurance contest to see if I can make it through the day. I have intentionally opted out of pursuing potential advancement, because I don't want to significantly take on new duties. I could have at least tried for positions that would pay slightly more, but I'd rather have the money I am making now without unknown stresses. This is not a time for me to venture far out of my comfort zone on the job.

I'm not sure if people think my problems are psychological or not. If so, they don't say it to my face. Probably wise of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies