Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:56 PM

653 posts, read 816,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
My symptoms are more regular than that, but it's still hard to predict exactly how intense they will be. For me it's daily, with very few exceptions. So on my days off, I try to figure out the most important things that need to get done and try to do them before I crash. I basically don't exercise at this point, due to lack of energy.

I am able to work too, but I derive very little satisfaction from it. It's mostly an endurance contest to see if I can make it through the day. I have intentionally opted out of pursuing potential advancement, because I don't want to significantly take on new duties. I could have at least tried for positions that would pay slightly more, but I'd rather have the money I am making now without unknown stresses. This is not a time for me to venture far out of my comfort zone on the job.

I'm not sure if people think my problems are psychological or not. If so, they don't say it to my face. Probably wise of them.

I complete relate. I dont want to venture out of my comfort zone either. Even on good days, I know that eventually the symptoms are going to hit. For me its usually around the afternoon. My work day is also an endurance contest to see if I can make it through a full work day. At this point, I enjoy the times that I am symptom free, and when they hit, I either sit down or lay down and just wait for it to pass (if it does). Sometimes they last throughout the day. As I sit and write this, I can not breathe through my nose at the moment. I know Ill feel better once my ear pops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 AM

411 posts, read 416,100 times
Quote:
My symptoms are more regular than that, but it's still hard to predict exactly how intense they will be. For me it's daily, with very few exceptions. So on my days off, I try to figure out the most important things that need to get done and try to do them before I crash. I basically don't exercise at this point, due to lack of energy.

I am able to work too, but I derive very little satisfaction from it. It's mostly an endurance contest to see if I can make it through the day. I have intentionally opted out of pursuing potential advancement, because I don't want to significantly take on new duties. I could have at least tried for positions that would pay slightly more, but I'd rather have the money I am making now without unknown stresses. This is not a time for me to venture far out of my comfort zone on the job.

I'm not sure if people think my problems are psychological or not. If so, they don't say it to my face. Probably wise of them.
Thats terrible! I really feel for you. I developed vasomotor rhinitis a couple of winters ago - I'm fine in summer but during winter, my life goes on hold. My partner wants me to go to his family events but because they are generally held outdoors, I know that the sun will go down and the night air will effect me. There have even been times where I have not taken important phonecalls because I can barely talk properly because of congestion.

To make things worse, I've developed adult onset asthma which is apparently common in those with airborne allergies. I've never had asthma before but it came on in the last few weeks and has added yet more unwanted anxiety to my situation. I have a new job opportunity coming up that will be good for my condition as I'll be active which will keep my core temperature up and keep nasal congestion away. It's crazy to think that you have to live your life around a condition that some people would regard as trivial. I intend to live as much of life as I can when I'm able to.

Find that joy in your life, treat yourself kindly but please don't opt out of life altogether.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
It's crazy to think that you have to live your life around a condition that some people would regard as trivial.
Right on! Thats the problem I am having. Nobody takes it seriously, and look at me as a nut case.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,067 times
Thanks, WildOnions. I'm trying to hang in and I'm still working to resolve my health issues.

Yes, I think the social burden of the illness wouldn't be as bad if others would recognize that it's a serious issue. Just because it isn't life threatening doesn't mean it doesn't make life miserable.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, WildOnions. I'm trying to hang in and I'm still working to resolve my health issues.

Yes, I think the social burden of the illness wouldn't be as bad if others would recognize that it's a serious issue. Just because it isn't life threatening doesn't mean it doesn't make life miserable.

See that what the people in my life are having difficulty understanding. My parents for example, think that because its not life threatening, that I am overreacting in my misery. Its one of those things that you have to experience yourself in order to understand. They don't understand what its like to have constant pain and pressure in your face, constant headaches, nausea from post nasal drip, popping ears, dizziness, and not being able to breathe out of your nose. They don't understand what its like to have to those symptoms at night also, as you try to get some sleep. Or how you avoid social interactions or being out in public because these symptoms, as well as the anxiety it gives you, makes you feel uncomfortable.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:40 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,067 times
I stopped using the forced air heating system in my apartment a long time ago. It's clear that it wasn't good. However, even the space heaters that I use do something to the air

I did a little digging and found recommendations for using infrared space heaters. I tried one, and it did seem kinder to my sinuses. Unfortunately, the glow it produced bothered me, so now I am shopping for a room divider. I'm hoping that it will block the distracting light, without preventing the heat to circulate from the infrared heater. I also discovered that infrared heaters produce negative ions, which may have positive effects of various sorts. Some people report this, anyway, though I gather the research isn't very conclusive.

People with the sorts of problems we have need to think about how to control as much of our environment as possible. I should have thought more about other types of space heaters a long time ago. My winters could end up being much better once I switch to using infrared heaters.

I'm also still taking Long Dan Xie Gan Wan. I am down to 6 pills 3 times a day. If anything, I seem to be reacting even less to daily barometric pressure changes recently. I not only have not been getting the pressure, I have also not been getting that feeling of energy loss when the pressure drops.

To muddy the waters a bit, I went back to my acupuncturist recently, for a minor leg injury. Of course, I had him work on my sinuses as well. Maybe that made a difference. Things did start to improve a lot around the same time I went back for three treatments.

So. . . now I'm thinking of going back to doing acupuncture regularly. Can't hurt (at least in this case, since this guy clearly knows what he's doing), aside from my wallet. But that does hurt a bit, since I had wanted to set aside some money for visiting a couple cities (dry, or somewhat dry, like Albuquerque) at lower altitudes, to see if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to try everything at once.

I'm also going back to an ENT this week, for a second opinion on whether or not surgery is advisable.

I am still very busy trying to improve my situation. It feels like it's paying off a little. I'd have to say this November, taken all in all, has been better than any November from the past several years, for my sinus problems. That doesn't mean there weren't a bunch of bad days though.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Does anyone else suffer from this dreadful condition? I do, and I regularly endure extreme bouts of hay fever whenever the barometric pressure in the atmosphere changes. My allergic reaction is so debilitating that it puts me out for the entire day whenever it triggers. My eyes swell up, nose turns into a faucet, and the roof of my mouth itches unbelievably. I have tried a number of treatments, with varying success -- steroid injections, allergy medications, diet changes. Still, nothing has entirely worked. My only course of action to tame the flare ups is to take copious amounts of benadryl (like 200 mg).
I have heard that allergies are the result of substances passing through the intestinal wall (leaky gut syndrome) and result in inflamation or allergic response. The goal to being cured of these allergies is therefore to fix the leaky gut by use of probiotics and good nutrition to bring nutrients to the intestinal lining. May not be a quick fix but probably something to consider.

Try to minimize expose to allergens in the meantime best you can. I wish you the best in resolving your allergy.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
Oh and I second the anxiety part. I've had major anxiety since this started which is affecting my daily life.
I had to comment because I hate anxiety and have had attacks of it latey myself so I automatically feel pitty for anyone that goes through that.

I suggest the same thing I proposed to the op which is to fix leaky gut symdrom and maybe that can give you a long term fix for the allergies and of course stop (best you can) any exposure to allergy triggers in the interim.

The only way we can get over allergies and chronic problems is by taking a chronic reversal. This means we need to add to our diets nutrition in abudance while cutting out toxins and inflammatory foods. I advise adding probiotics to fix a leaky gut. Get as much fruits and vegetables.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:42 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
Hi. Mav; yep, I'm still sick. What we have is chronic sinusitis. It requires 6 to 12 weeks on antibiorics.

What to do about sinusitis - Harvard Health Publications

Acute sinusitis and rhinosinusitis in adults: Treatment

Unfortunately, most suffer for years because the docs either don't know this or they won't put you on them that long.

I just finished eleven weeks on Augmentin. No help. I ordered a 12 day Zpack. If it doesn't work I am going to get Levoflaxin for eight or so weeks.

I have also been taking Astragalus, it helps with the exhaustion, which I don't have anymore.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Hi. Mav; yep, I'm still sick. What we have is chronic sinusitis. It requires 6 to 12 weeks on antibiorics.

What to do about sinusitis - Harvard Health Publications

Acute sinusitis and rhinosinusitis in adults: Treatment

Unfortunately, most suffer for years because the docs either don't know this or they won't put you on them that long.

I just finished eleven weeks on Augmentin. No help. I ordered a 12 day Zpack. If it doesn't work I am going to get Levoflaxin for eight or so weeks.

I have also been taking Astragalus, it helps with the exhaustion, which I don't have anymore.
Just curious, why would you think to continue to take antibiotics if antibiotics only work against bacterial infections and not viral infections? Has your sinusitis been diagnosed as bacterial? If so, what strain? If it is a certain strain that has been identified then an antibiotic that is specifically effective for that strain should be deployed.

Mayco clinic found that the majority of chronic sinusitis was due to Fungal infection and not bacterial so this is further reason to be skeptical about antibiotic use unless you have been specifically diagnosed with a bacterial infection.

It would seem that knowing what the source of the infection is - is the first step towards eradication - so you would need to know if it is due to fungus, bacterial or virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies