Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times

Advertisements

Isn't the flu mist vaccine "live"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 02:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Yes, but it's not the only option. The other vaccines contain inactive virii. Also, Flumist is an attenuated dose. Regardless, none of these vaccinations cause pain shooting down one side of the body among people with allergies. It sounds to me more that the OP has had some kind of illness that has nothing to do with his allergies OR with the vaccine, but because the illness occured after getting vaccinated, he's chosen to go the "correlation equals causation" route.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, but it's not the only option. The other vaccines contain inactive virii. Also, Flumist is an attenuated dose. Regardless, none of these vaccinations cause pain shooting down one side of the body among people with allergies. It sounds to me more that the OP has had some kind of illness that has nothing to do with his allergies OR with the vaccine, but because the illness occured after getting vaccinated, he's chosen to go the "correlation equals causation" route.
The vaccine could cause pain on one side. There are other things in the flu vaccine that could cause different reactions in different people. There's no way really to know one way or another whether it was the flu vaccine that caused the reaction or something else entirely.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:42 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
One thing is certain though!!! The flu vaccine DOES NOT give ANYBODY the flu!

Old 01-12-2015, 03:19 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The vaccine could cause pain on one side. There are other things in the flu vaccine that could cause different reactions in different people. There's no way really to know one way or another whether it was the flu vaccine that caused the reaction or something else entirely.
Lots of stuff can happen. Here is the details of what OTHER stuff is in there and they are not so good and can cause all sorts of problems:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...nt-table-2.pdf

Pretty big risk when you consider that a vaccine is a crap shoot.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Lots of stuff can happen. Here is the details of what OTHER stuff is in there and they are not so good and can cause all sorts of problems:

I agree with you. I do think that flu vaccine is a crap shoot and I don't think it's healthy to get those ingredients injected into one's body. I do believe that it's possible that the op's reaction was due to the flu vaccine. Some here say that there's no way. I'd say that it's impossible to know for sure one way or the other.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:04 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
What do you mean by the virus is "dead"? Are you saying that if someone has the flu that the virus they have is ALIVE?
Quote:
I don't give any credit to wikipedia.

So then why does saying that we shouldn't fear viruses because they are "dead" have to do with anything? Isn't that really just the medical industry trying to make vaccines a bit more palletable to the consumer?
Quote:
Isn't the flu mist vaccine "live"?
What AnonChick said.

Virologists do not like to call viruses "alive" because they require the cells of a living host in which to reproduce. Viruses enter the cell, then take over the machinery in the cell to make new copies of the virus. They cannot reproduce without the host in the way that bacteria can multiply on surfaces, for example.

With a vaccine like the flu injection, the virus is treated (inactivated or "killed")so that when it is introduced into the body, it cannot take over cells and make new copies of itself. To simplify things, we say it is "dead". The immune system does not need a "live" virus in order to make antibodies to it. It does not even need the entire viral particle. Modern vaccines often contain only part of the particle, just enough that the immune system can recognize it.

Other vaccines do contain the entire viral particle, but it has been weakened so that it is unlikely to cause disease. That is a "live" attenuated vaccine. The virus in the nasal spray vaccine is not only attenuated, it is "cold adapted". That means it can "live" and reproduce in the upper airways but not in the warmer conditions in the lower respiratory system.

This also means that when someone receives an injection of a vaccine, the immune system sees only the number of viral particles (or bacterial particles) that it needs to mount a response and learn how to prevent infection with the "live" virus. In contrast, when an actual infection occurs, the virus replicates rapidly, exposing the body to far more antigens than are given in the vaccine. That is why describing vaccination as "stressing" the immune system is so wrong. Infections put much more stress on the body than vaccines do.

Quote:
The pain described in the OP is probably not due to the vaccine because there is no plausible biological mechanism to explain it. When the flu vaccine activates the immune system, it can cause a sore arm at the site of the injection, generalized muscle aches, a slight fever, and some fatigue that lasts a few days. The inflammatory response that causes that is not localized to one side of the body. Just because the flu vaccine preceded the symptom does not mean the flu vaccine caused the symptom. In this case, the pain is far more likely to have been due to a muscle strain, and I have had strains occur from doing something as simple as getting out of bed. It's not always obvious what the activity causing the strain was, either.

When vaccines are tested, people who take the vaccine report all symptoms that they have afterwards. If flu vaccine caused "pain all down one side of the body lasting weeks", at least some of those people should report that symptom and report it more often that people who do not take the vaccine. It's just not happening. The ingredients in vaccines other than the viral or bacterial antigens are all there for a purpose. All are recognized as safe and none are likely to cause "pain all down one side of the body lasting weeks".

Old 01-12-2015, 07:07 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:

Don't forget the dihydrogen monoxide. They don't even list it, and it can kill you several different ways.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...bout-vaccines/

Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Don't forget the dihydrogen monoxide. They don't even list it, and it can kill you several different ways.

Toxic myths about vaccines « Science-Based Medicine
OMG don't get me started on dihydrogen monoxide - I swear it's in EVERYTHING these days. Food is tainted with it, it's added to medicines and supplements and there's even been reports of it in the air near schools. Honestly, vaccines should be the least of everyone's worries, someone needs to DO something about that poison!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:32 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,049 times
Quote:
I agree with you. I do think that flu vaccine is a crap shoot and I don't think it's healthy to get those ingredients injected into one's body. I do believe that it's possible that the op's reaction was due to the flu vaccine. Some here say that there's no way. I'd say that it's impossible to know for sure one way or the other.
The whole vaccine thing is really just for the gullible in my opinion. Those that keep expending energy promoting it I suppose believe that GREED is not found in the Drug business.

I really don't worry about any viruses. I know that I can jump into a FAR Infrared Sauna and use the bodies natural defenses to destroy viruses and other diseases by ramping up the heat. I destroyed the bronchitis I had this early fall by using my new Sauna. I highly recommend them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies