Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:55 AM

18,536 posts, read 18,782,257 times

Advertisements

I have a quite severe reaction to chemicals. that being perfumed products of every kind ,household paint, diesel , petrol in face everything petro chemcal based... and cant have a flu jab as it caused so much pain for weeks afterwards all down the one side of my body... has anyone else noticed this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,025,494 times
I stopped getting the flu shot after 2006, because it gave me the flu every time, besides the pain you are talking about. I take 25mg's of ZINC everyday, and I haven't had the flu since.

I also wash my hands frequently, and NEVER touch bathroom area things (door handles and such) unless it's with a paper towel in my hands to protect me. I also can't handle strong chemical smells, so avoid them as much as I can. Sorry I don't have any special way to handle them other than that.

So far this all has worked for me.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 AM

37,126 posts, read 41,330,362 times
The flu vaccine might cause a sore arm. It might cause a generalized achy feeling for a few days because it revs up the immune system, but it would not cause a persistent pain in one side.

It cannot cause the flu. If you have the flu after the vaccine, you were either incubating the disease before the vaccine had time to work, it was a flu strain not covered by the vaccine, or the vaccine did not work.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:13 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,037,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I stopped getting the flu shot after 2006, because it gave me the flu every time, besides the pain you are talking about. I take 25mg's of ZINC everyday, and I haven't had the flu since.

I also wash my hands frequently, and NEVER touch bathroom area things (door handles and such) unless it's with a paper towel in my hands to protect me. I also can't handle strong chemical smells, so avoid them as much as I can. Sorry I don't have any special way to handle them other than that.

So far this all has worked for me.
I stopped getting them also.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,025,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The flu vaccine might cause a sore arm. It might cause a generalized achy feeling for a few days because it revs up the immune system, but it would not cause a persistent pain in one side.

It cannot cause the flu. If you have the flu after the vaccine, you were either incubating the disease before the vaccine had time to work, it was a flu strain not covered by the vaccine, or the vaccine did not work.
It absolutely can cause the flu. At least the older shot strains did. I always got the flu right after the shot, and I have not had the flu even ONCE since 2006 when I last got the shot.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:38 PM

18,536 posts, read 18,782,257 times
The symptoms I took werent like the flu ,it was an annoying pain in my left chest area and down my side , Ive never had that type of pain before.. not severe but annoying... and I wont ever have this done again.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:02 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
It absolutely can cause the flu. At least the older shot strains did. I always got the flu right after the shot, and I have not had the flu even ONCE since 2006 when I last got the shot.
If you got the flu "right after" the shot, it was not due to the vaccine. The virus in the vaccine is inactivated, cannot multiply, and cannot cause disease. The vaccine takes about two weeks to provide protection. If you got sick soon after taking the vaccine, either you had already caught the virus, the virus was a strain not in the vaccine, or the vaccine did not have time to work. you did not catch flu from the vaccine itself.

Seasonal Flu Shot | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

"Can the flu shot give me the flu?

No, a flu shot cannot give you the flu. Flu vaccines that are administered with a needle are currently made in two ways: the vaccine is made either with a) flu vaccine viruses that have been ‘inactivated’ and are therefore not infectious, or b) with no flu vaccine viruses at all (which is the case for recombinant influenza vaccine). In randomized, blinded studies, where some people got flu shots and others got saltwater shots, the only differences in symptoms was increased soreness in the arm and redness at the injection site among people who got the flu shot. There were no differences in terms of body aches, fever, cough, runny nose or sore throat."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The symptoms I took werent like the flu ,it was an annoying pain in my left chest area and down my side , Ive never had that type of pain before.. not severe but annoying... and I wont ever have this done again.
Just because the pain started after you took the vaccine does not mean the vaccine caused the pain. An annoying pain like that could be due to a simple muscle strain.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:54 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
This is a common misconception.

The flu vaccine cannot cause the flu. It cannot cause the flu because it is made from either inactivated virus or through DNA recombinant technology that does not actually involve using the virus.

There are a couple of explanations for your situation:

1. You caught the flu before the shot was given and symptoms appeared shortly afterwards.

2. Even though the vaccine cannot cause flu it can produce some short-lived, flu-like symptoms for some people because the vaccine has the affect of activating one's immune system to ward off viruses and in the process you may feel a slight temperature elevation.

Please read this link from the CDC's website.

Misconceptions about Seasonal Flu and Flu Vaccines | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

People have a right to an opinion. However, this particular opinion is a poor one to express in a public forum because (1) its incorrect; and (2) it often discourages other people from getting a flu shot when they should have.

The flu is no joking matter. It kills thousands every year. While we worry ourselves crazy about exotic threats like Ebola, thousands die of influenza.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,037,347 times
You gotta remember that flu shots are a crap shoot. You could easily get a different strain. They just put out a flu shot for the strain they think is most likely to be prevailent. It doesn't mean your flu strain will be the same. Therefore, you might get a bunch of junk put inside you that does absolutely nothing towards the flu strain that you did get hit with.

Drug companies make big money on those flu shots through subsidies and other means. Often you don't pay dime for a flu shot but the reality is that you do through taxes or other means.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
You gotta remember that flu shots are a crap shoot. You could easily get a different strain. They just put out a flu shot for the strain they think is most likely to be prevailent. It doesn't mean your flu strain will be the same. Therefore, you might get a bunch of junk put inside you that does absolutely nothing towards the flu strain that you did get hit with.

Drug companies make big money on those flu shots through subsidies and other means. Often you don't pay dime for a flu shot but the reality is that you do through taxes or other means.
One could argue that taking any vaccination is a "crap shoot" as you put it because no vaccine has 100% efficacy. So, would you argument be, "let's skip all immunizations including those for diptheria, tetanus, and whooping cough?

The question though that should be asked is "Do the benefits of taking the flu vaccine outweigh the costs and risks involved?"

The answer to that question is absolutely yes. Its estimated that the influenza vaccine will prevent 60% of all cases of flu this year, but more importantly, it reduces the risk of deaths and hospitalizations by a greater percentage than that. The risk of having to be hospitalized for a serious case of flu is reduced by between 70% to 80%.

Look, until you can demonstrate some specific harm occurring to people because of that "junk" you claim is in the flu shot your point of view has no merit. Trace amounts of the chemicals contained in vaccinations for influenza haven't been shown to harm anyone.

Take a look at this information from the CDC. It lays out the percentage reductions in deaths and hospitalizations I've mentioned. Also, consider the reduction in economic cost from fewer people being admitted to ICU units with respiratory difficulties or liver failure.

Vaccine Effectiveness - How Well Does the Flu Vaccine Work? | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

No vaccine will ever be perfect, but there is no question that influenza shot and others save thousands of lives every year and reduce the economic cost of medical care by millions of dollars.

Finally, your wrong. The flu vaccine is not a cash cow for pharmaceutical companies. On the contrary, there have been years its been difficult to persuade a company to manufacture it. Cholesterol lowering drugs make the pharmaceutical industry $33 billion a year. The revenue from making the flu vaccine is about $3 billion a year and this shared between about half a dozen companies and is based on worldwide sales. Do pharmaceutical companies make money on these sales? Sure, they do. I bet you wouldn't go to work everyday if they didn't pay you either. I know I wouldn't. As long as we have a capitalist system in this country, corporations have a right to make a profit based on their sales. It turns out that the profits from the flu vaccine are not particularly high.

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skept...harma-profits/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies