Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:32 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times

Advertisements

I quit getting sinus infections once I started using the nettipot too. It took about two weeks of using it three times a day to get rid of the one I had at the time. It took a couple days, but I still remember when it first started working. I won't go into graphics but let's just say I'm glad that crap isn't in my head anymore. The best part is that I no longer get the killer headaches.

I use it twice a week now and haven't had a sinus infection in 5 years, whereas before I got 5-6 of them a year.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
I've had post nasal drip and a chronic cough for three years. Sometimes with shortness of breath and asthma.

I have been on everything. It comes and goes and I can't figure out what triggers it.

Seen seven doctors in three states. The last one at the renowned Cleveland Clinic. He could find nothing wrong. I am not allergic to anything.

He gave me useless medication, and finally said that I should sip water all day and use a netti pot.

Netti pot use has never helped me and has sometimes made it worse.

I feel for all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I've had post nasal drip and a chronic cough for three years. Sometimes with shortness of breath and asthma.

I have been on everything. It comes and goes and I can't figure out what triggers it.

Seen seven doctors in three states. The last one at the renowned Cleveland Clinic. He could find nothing wrong. I am not allergic to anything.

He gave me useless medication, and finally said that I should sip water all day and use a netti pot.

Netti pot use has never helped me and has sometimes made it worse.

I feel for all of you.
I feel for you! I have struggled with allergies causing sinus issues for years. have you checked to see if you have food allergies. I have found a couple of foods that give me the symptoms you have. One is flax which is in so many food items you wouldn't expect. I also found that formaldehyde in nail polish gives me stuffiness and sometimes sinus pain.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
Been on the Astelyn and Flonase sprays since May. Pharmacist says it will work but takes a looong time. Neti 2X a day. We'll see. The burnt tongue sensation and crappy mouth taste are sloooowly going away.

I had to quit the ENT b/c after two visits where he just blew saline up there and looked around I got a bill for 465 dollars. Thankfully I canceled the cat scan, Lord knows what that would have cost. He already looked in there with a scope and saw no polyps so WTF would a cat scan prove?

ETA anyone else use the Nasalcromm? I'm scared to try something different.

Last edited by CCc girl; 08-26-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,403 times
I bought a Honeywell ifD Quietclean Compact Air Purifier from Walmart a couple of weeks ago and run it in our bedroom from 8pm until we wake up the next morning and it has really helped my sinuses a lot, I am now considering buying a much larger unit for the whole apartment.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Been on the Astelyn and Flonase sprays since May. Pharmacist says it will work but takes a looong time. Neti 2X a day. We'll see. The burnt tongue sensation and crappy mouth taste are sloooowly going away.

I had to quit the ENT b/c after two visits where he just blew saline up there and looked around I got a bill for 465 dollars. Thankfully I canceled the cat scan, Lord knows what that would have cost. He already looked in there with a scope and saw no polyps so WTF would a cat scan prove?

ETA anyone else use the Nasalcromm? I'm scared to try something different.
I'm on astelin, been on it for few years. It doesn't take any time for your body to feel the effects/benefits - 1-2 weeks(?). If you started in May, you would know by now if it's the right one for you. You need to see an allergist, not an ENT to rule out allergies before anatomical issues - which BTW - is what the CAT scan is for in addition to showing any growths, etc. that the ENT couldn't see.

The stuff you said was saline, should have been a strong decongestant to open up your sinus passageways. Was it easier for you to breath after he squirted the stuff in your nose?

Also, if you don't have insurance, many of these meds have online coupons as we as some doc office having samples and coupons. Hope this helps!

Be sure your doc knows you plan on trying nasalcrom while on the other meds

Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
The ENT was an allergist, which is why I can't figure out why he didn't start testing right away.

I felt no different after he put on his snorkel mask and blew the stuff in there. He said it was saline. I can breathe fine, just not liking the swelling on either side of my nose and eye pressure.

I have insurance but they didn't pay for the last two visits. Not going back unless they get paid. No bill yet, just two notices that they were rejected.

Pharmacist said because I've had the rhinitis for so long it would take months to improve on the Astelyn. They gave me a script for a year's supply.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
The ENT was an allergist, which is why I can't figure out why he didn't start testing right away.

I felt no different after he put on his snorkel mask and blew the stuff in there. He said it was saline. I can breathe fine, just not liking the swelling on either side of my nose and eye pressure.

I have insurance but they didn't pay for the last two visits. Not going back unless they get paid. No bill yet, just two notices that they were rejected.

Pharmacist said because I've had the rhinitis for so long it would take months to improve on the Astelyn. They gave me a script for a year's supply.
I agree with you, weird he didn't test you for allergies. although maybe it was easier to look for polyps etc first. There are certain ENT procedures where they decongest your sinuses and use a scope to go up in there. Insurance coverage will typically only cover 1-2year. Could this be the insurance issue? Honestly, if you haven't forgotten to share some details, I don't have much confidence in your doc having done enough investing of your condition. Perhaps you could go for another opinion to an allergist?

I still disagree with your pharmacist I've had allergies for years and within a week or two max on Astelin it kicked in. It's the only med that works for.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:04 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
OK, here's the fastest way to get rid of a sinus infection w/o antibiotics. I had a bad one last June during allergy season and I was going to be going on an extended fast so I decided to wait to see the doc till after I could see what was going to happen with the fast. I had tried my usual home remedies but this one was worse than usual. I started my fast and 48 hours later the sinus infection was gone. Not only was it gone but my nasal passages were clearer than they had ever been in my life! From now on, when I start to get sick from anything I am going to fast.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:56 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,409 times
Antibiotics are one's LAST line of defense. They are way over prescribed and kill all the good bacteria too, along w/ often causing tinnitus and resistance to future antibiotics. Colloidal silver worked for me in the past, put seriously, go on the internet and look at the foods that cause mucus. You would not believe how many do. Soy is the worst plant food for that, and there are many, many other foods that cause excessive mucus. Straighten out your diet to avoid those foods, eat foods that help eliminate mucus, and you'll be in better shape. Fasting is an excellent way to help one deal w/ a sinus infection, as stated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies