Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 12:35 PM

243 posts, read 264,330 times

Advertisements

Hi if you can't afford to eat 100% organic, try this. Do buy wildcaught fish canned packed in water (only). Do buy grassfed, organic organ meat (eg liver & heart) as opposed to muscle meat (eg, prime rib). Both are cheap, usually allergy safe, & generally healthy. When it comes to fruits & vegetables, don't buy anything that is a GMO. However, you can skip the organic stuff for foods you peel that have a heavy layer of skin. So don't buy a GMO sweet potato. However, you could buy a conventional but non-GMO sweet potato. The price should be cheap as well. However, if you're going to buy non-organic lettuce, be sure you wash the heck out of it. The price will be reasonable but you will have extra work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 12:38 PM

One more FYI. Many fruits & vegetables are packed in wax made of soy. So if you eat eggplant, peppers, apples, tomatoes, zucchini, you should peel thoroughly. BTW, many people are sensitive to nightshade plants like tomatoes, peppers, & eggplants. Most allergists wont tell you this because they point to contradictory research findings. In any event, you might want to cut nightshades from your your diet.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I buy organic lettuce. I'm the only one in the house who eats lettuce, so a $4 carton of organic spring mix lasts me a week.

It's stuff like meat that gets outrageously expensive when you start trying to go organic. I can't buy organic for me because it's healthier and then feed the cheaper, non-organic stuff to my kids, that would feel really wrong, so anything that I buy for myself I have to be able to feed to the whole family. I see organic boneless skinless chicken for $9/lb and the regular boneless skinless breast for $2/lb. That's a huge difference when you're feeding a couple of teenagers and a husband who eats like a hog

Old 10-03-2016, 01:33 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Regarding nut and soy allergies, be sure to read labels to ensure that the product has been produced in a facility which does not process nuts, soy, or whatever other allergens you have. I have nut allergies, but not soy, yet. My day may come for that. I do restrict soy as my oncologist suggested (breast cancer survivor) due to the phytoestrogens so I try my best to avoid it. Obviously, it's very difficult to do so. You might be surprised to find out how many processed/canned foods are produced in facilities that also process our "enemies".

Old 10-05-2016, 03:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I buy organic lettuce. I'm the only one in the house who eats lettuce, so a $4 carton of organic spring mix lasts me a week.

It's stuff like meat that gets outrageously expensive when you start trying to go organic. I can't buy organic for me because it's healthier and then feed the cheaper, non-organic stuff to my kids, that would feel really wrong, so anything that I buy for myself I have to be able to feed to the whole family. I see organic boneless skinless chicken for $9/lb and the regular boneless skinless breast for $2/lb. That's a huge difference when you're feeding a couple of teenagers and a husband who eats like a hog

Try to rethink how you feel about having to go organic for the rest of the family. You have a medical condition that is reduced with organic (if that's true), not a choice for yourself personally.

My husband and I are eating vegetarian for health reasons, but kidlet gets meat. Not because I don't care, it's what he wants.

I'll buy some pricey organic chicken from Whole Foods and cook it only for the adults. He is going to go out and eat crap a lot worse than homemade nonorganic chicken. Other stuff that is more reasonable priced the whole family gets.

It's different because we have him part time.

Bottom line, your needs are medical.... there's are not, and we all have our budgets to consider.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-10-2017, 12:52 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Did I suddenly develop allergies and NOT bronchitis as originally diagnosed? I recently turned 42 & never had any allergies, asthma, respiratory issues, etc. in my life. When I had a dr appt for (what the ER I went to said was) bronchitis (even though I have NO cough, runny nose, flu, etc.) for a closed-throat feeling that came on out of the blue one day, I took a blood test to see if I had any food allergies. The results came back that I'm allergic to:

class 1
wheat
corn
seafood

class 2
soybean
peanuts

I love seafood, so I guess this means ALL seafood, period? I can live without eating peanuts since I don't like them anyway, but so many things have wheat, soy, peanut oil, and corn products.

Does this mean I can't eat sandwiches, tortillas, pasta/noodles, pizza, and more?!

How does one adjust to this? This is all new to me.

I've suffered almost 1.5 mos now with a combo here & there of:

closed-throat feeling
nasal congestion
bronchi in lungs feeling inflamed/swollen

I'm so, so tired of feeling this way. I planned to ask about seeing an allergist and wanted to find out more about all-natural rememdies. I have dr appt #2 later TODAY. I'm looking for any answers!!!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 03-10-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Which blood test? IGG or IGE?

Old 03-10-2017, 05:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I think there are a lot of false positives when they test. Usually if you don't react when you eat something they'll say you can keep eating it.

What did you eat the day your throat closed? Did you have other symptoms? What meds are you taking?

Old 03-10-2017, 10:43 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklineBiker View Post
Which blood test? IGG or IGE?
Looks like IGE. Is that better in this case? What's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think there are a lot of false positives when they test. Usually if you don't react when you eat something they'll say you can keep eating it.

What did you eat the day your throat closed? Did you have other symptoms? What meds are you taking?
Thanks for your post. The only food/drink I actually feel a reaction to are dairy products (I get gas, so nothing severe). Milk was on the blood test results, but so minute that it doesn't matter.

I'm back from the dr today. She even gave me an EKG to rule out anything to do with the heart and that was normal!

She said the food allergies are so minor that she didn't see the need for an allergist.

My MAIN concern is a combo of the feeling that lungs need to expand more, closed-throat feeling, & labored breathing/shortness of breath throughout these almost 1.5 mos. Its felt at times like my lungs need more air like they need to expand more is the best way to explain it.

I got 4 more prescriptions today:

1) Omeprazole - for acid reflux/digestion - I don't think I need to take that
2) Epi-pen - to take as needed, probably won't have to take
3) Prim...zine - for runny nose/cough - I haven't had either so I probably won't take this...unless it's good for nasal congestion, is it?
4) Asmanex Twisthaler - to take as needed

If none of that works, she'll refer me to a pulmonologist.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 511 times
Hi,
You body is certainly truning on you huh? I have some of these issues too. Best way is yes to see an allergist.. and ALSO a functional medicine Dr. They are expensive and are not normally covered by insurance but so worth finding out what is the issue completly. Functional medicine Dr. Focus on the whole body, and what is causing the symptoms or allergies in this case and why not just a band aid to help with the symptoms like a Dr.... don't get me wrong Dr.'s Are necessary.... but you need to know why your body is attacking itself. I would insist on a IgG, IgA, IgE antibody testing.... most Dr. Won't order them but Functional Medicine Dr. Will!! They will tell you exactly what your body has made antibodies to... from there you can start to figure out the issue. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies