Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:46 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

In the last couple of months, I've become allergic to peanuts and soy, even soybean oil which seems to be in almost everything. I had to go to urgent care night before last after eating almond butter, when almonds have always been fine for me before.

I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm almost afraid to eat anything anymore. Somebody said it could be related to fibromyalgia and my sister told me about her friend who suddenly became allergic to 50 things, but she couldn't remember the name of the disease that caused it, only that it was some super form of asthma.

I'm going to see an allergist but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out if I'm somehow causing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 10:05 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
That's what happened to me. An allergist may or may not help you. And if it pertains to fibromyalgia, they are using the term in a very loose way. Fibromyalgia used to mean pain, now it seems to mean more than that. So I guess it could fall under that umbrella. Asthma can be a symptom of allergy but you have to get to the cause.

What helped me--when I finally found a great allergist--was strict diet of foods like rice, squash, meat, water, carrots, etc.
Leaving out anything related to almonds, peanuts, soy and leaving out the usual allergenic foods like potato, tomato, eggplant, all nuts, grains, dairy. It's a diet that took a whole lot of willpower but if you don't do it, chances are the allergies will "spread"--meaning you will develop even more food allergies.

If you get allergy tests, find out what else you are allergic to and avoid them and get shots to boost your system. You'll probably find more allergies--like dust, mold, cats...things like that. AVOID because they will stress your already weakened system.

I think I've posted links to the rotary diet many times here but you can google it and get started. Nope, it's not fun, but you may not get to an allergist in time or the allergist you go to may not believe that adults can develop food allergies. That's what happened to me--I wasted so much time and got so much worse before I got to an allergist who helped me. There are good drs and bad drs. Don't wait until there is almost nothing left that you can eat.

You might google the GAPS diet--that's not anything my allergist put me on but since it's "trendy" lately, it's all over the internet. It does match up fairly well to what my good allergist told me though and it could get you through this difficult time. Good luck and try to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:25 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Grain Free Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe | Wellness Mama

Yes, you can make pancakes out of SQUASH or SWEET POTATO! I MADE THEM. Non allergenic and they were GOOD.

Recipes and Ideas for What to Eat on the GAPS Introduction Diet - Keeper of the Home

Paleo Gravy | Elana's Pantry

More suggestions. You don't have to eat organic. These are ideas for foods that are probably okay for you to eat and some recipes for how to prepare some foods. Ignore the parts about almonds, of course. Ignore any of the trendy stuff but just look at these recipes for ideas. You will need to make almost everything from scratch. You can still eat most fruits (not peaches because they are related to almonds!) You can eat meat but if you make gravy, do not thicken it with flour. There are other ways (arrowroot, for instance.) Eat rice instead of the highly allergenic potatoes. Do not eat any processed foods as there are too many unknown ingredients and additives.

It's a learning experience but you need to eat right or you will just get more food allergies. Keep it simple (and be prepared to spend a lot of time cooking. )

Old 09-24-2016, 10:25 AM

I've been allergic to cats for years but that's gotten worse recently. I can't go in my parents' house at all anymore. Right now I can't go to the pet store, hardware store or arts and crafts store without having to use the rescue inhaler.

I hadn't thought about an allergist not believing I could develop food allergies. The allergic reactions I'm having are making my face turn dark red and swell up. I get a lump in my throat and my tongue swells but I can still breathe. When I went to urgent care night before last they tested me for strep because I was running a fever, but I hadn't had the fever before the allergic reaction and it went down about an hour after they gave me the steroid shot.

I'm diabetic so I already felt like my food choices were limited. This feels a lot worse. I'm good at cooking from scratch so I guess I'm better off than some people would be in this situation.

Last edited by Hedgehog_Mom; 09-24-2016 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 04:59 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom
In the last couple of months, I've become allergic to peanuts and soy, even soybean oil which seems to be in almost everything.
Im sorry you are going thru this...... I wonder if your having the same problem I think I am??

I think stuff I used to like is now using GMO stuff and that is bothering me........ (GMO stuff is not good for us)

Good luck Hedgehog_Mom

Old 09-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry you are going thru this...... I wonder if your having the same problem I think I am??

I think stuff I used to like is now using GMO stuff and that is bothering me........ (GMO stuff is not good for us)

Good luck Hedgehog_Mom
I read your other post about GMO foods...I think it's been done to our foods by scientists (as opposed to nature modifying things, which has always happened and has to happen) for a good while now and they're just starting to label the foods that have been modified. So we've probably been eating it for a long time now, we were just less aware of it.

About your syrup, there's been a recent trend toward removing high fructose corn syrup from products, so that might be the change you're noticing in the syrup.

My symptoms began with diarrhea and stomach pain after eating most foods, then I started getting a feeling like my tongue was tingling or my mouth was burning when I was eating. Then I started getting welts on my face and vomiting after eating some foods, or a red face that felt like it was burning after eating other foods.

The last few days I have carefully avoided soy and nuts and have not had any of the allergy symptoms I was having. It's pretty hard to avoid soy if you're not cooking entirely from scratch...I'm going to have to bake things like hamburger buns or bread if I want to eat them. I had to give away about half the stuff in my pantry. The only things that got to stay were things like canned tomatoes or beans, flour, sugar, oils that did not contain soy. My family eats tortillas often but the tortilla mixes all have soybean oil, so I'm going to start making them the old-fashioned way, with lard.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:47 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,851 times
You all likely have Candida overgrowth.
Most food allergies are due to Candida overgrowth.
Candida can mess up the body and the organs such as to cause a lot of diseases.
Doctors are clueless. Even Allergists are clueless.
Look at this:
Candida symptoms

Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 AM

243 posts, read 264,611 times
Hi,
If you're not already doing it, go on an elimination diet. Every 2 weeks pull a food out of your diet from the following list of foods that are known to be allergens. The ones to avoid & eliminate are wheat and related grains, soy, dairy (whether from cows, goats, or sheep), tree nuts except for macadamias, eggs, yeast, shellfish, corn. I'd recommend dropping beans as well unless you soak them overnight or longer before consuming them. Sugar is an inflammatory so you ought to eliminate that as well. Cooking from scratch is an excellent idea. You want to control what is going in your body and measure what is correlated with symptoms. I disagree with advice above that you don't need to eat organic. I don't think there is much unbiased research out there on the combined effects of artificial food preservatives & flavorings, herbicides, pesticides, and genetic modifications of foods. Why let your body be subject to all of those unknowns? I felt better when I did all of the above. As for causes, maybe the toxicity & psychosocial stresses of 21st Century life caught up to you. You may have had a minor intolerance to soy that you didn't notice before & it suddenly blossomed in response the stressors above. When you get allergy tests get skin pricks, IGG, & IGE. Anything that shows as a problem on any of the tests should be plucked out of your diet. As for treatment, make sure you limit life stress as much as possible, get regular sufficient sleep, and take a good probiotic. You may have leaky gut syndrome (this isn't generally accepted as an illness by doctors) so a good probiotic would help.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 AM

243 posts, read 264,611 times
A few more thoughts. Many foods are safe if prepare properly but are rarely prepared properly when sold in processed foods. Tapioca and garbanzo beans are example of this. Don't eat processed foods containing them. Soy is in a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect it to be in: soaps, laser printer inks, shampoos, teas, cold cuts, tuna fish broth, fish oil capsules. It often shows up under other names. Buyer beware!

Old 10-03-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklineBiker View Post
A few more thoughts. Many foods are safe if prepare properly but are rarely prepared properly when sold in processed foods. Tapioca and garbanzo beans are example of this. Don't eat processed foods containing them. Soy is in a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect it to be in: soaps, laser printer inks, shampoos, teas, cold cuts, tuna fish broth, fish oil capsules. It often shows up under other names. Buyer beware!
Thanks!

I figured out about the tuna broth already by eating it and having the reaction.

I went through my supplements and threw out the garlic and cranberry, which both contain it. I also had to replace the biotin that I'm taking with one that doesn't have soy. My doctor insists that I have to take fish oil, and I haven't been able to take it for months because I would vomit an hour after I took it. I take digestive enzymes and a probiotic daily.

Right now I'm not eating soy in any of it's forms (supposedly soybean oil and soy lethicin aren't a problem for people who are allergic, but I have a reaction to both). I'm not eating any tree nuts or peanuts. I've managed to go a few days without having a reaction.

I can't afford to eat organic all the time, I've done some price comparisons and it isn't possible for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies