Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 AM

18,542 posts, read 18,789,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I may have possibly developed asthma or an allergy living in my current apt. I've been here 4 yrs & it has carpeting and gets dusty. I've been getting it professionally shampooed once a year (I vacuum more often than that), but I slacked some lately and now I got this...I don't even know (was told viral bronchitis, but who knows) & neither does my dr really. I'm about to take the next step toward getting a referral for a pulmonologist to see what's going on with me.
Professional carpet cleaners use toxic cleaners which are no use for anyones health.. with carpets they have to be hoovered often with a Hepa filter vacuum cleaner.. and as I said to the OP to scatter bicabornate over the rug or carpet and leave overnight before vacuuming... dont use smelly things in your hoover or on the carpet.. this makes your breathing worse.. Get rid of household cleaners that contain dangerous chemicals. most do... dont use sprays in the home, especially Insect repellents or air fresheners.. buy a Hepa air freshener, have a read at this site too. as it might be more than your carpet thats the problem. https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/tri...odEDAMkQ#fires
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 AM

18,542 posts, read 18,789,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's very difficult to find an apartment without carpet. Will covering the entire carpeted area with plastic carpet shield help minimize dust mite allergens indoors?

Even with regular cleaning/vacuuming, I notice feeling much more congested (sinuses) living in a place with carpet than I did living in a place without it.
dont dust, use a damp cloth as your only shifting the dust around ..... dont use perfumed cleaners even your dish washing liquid is toxic when breathed in.. some have formaldehyde. change to a safer one with no scents.. dont ever use air fresheners, furniture polish, bleach, strong smelling soap powders, perfumes or perfumed products even soap and shampoos. check that they have no parabens, synthetic perfumes or sulphates.. dont repaint your home with paint with VOCs.. use water based paints..and even then air the rooms well.. it might be more than your carpet causing the trouble.. buy a Hepa air purifier, one of the best investments you could make... and Im sure you ll feel a big difference they come in all prices depending on size of room... and dont buy one with ozone in it, this is worse for asthma and breathing conditions like my own... so check them out carefullly.. Must be HEPA "High Efficiency Particulate Air" and no ozone. Ive just bought a car natural air freshener made with 100% Bamboo Charcoal, Ill report back how I get on in our new car as Im dreading the new smell with all the toxins.. I have to wash down the entire interior of a new car with bicarbonate and vinegar solution to try and lift some of the toxins fast then air the car as much as possible. so once this is done Ill hang this new device over the headrest at the back and hopefully it helps a lot... made by Purggo in the US..

Housecleaning Tips to Ease Allergies

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-16-2017 at 07:51 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 PM

12,789 posts, read 15,024,412 times
Saw the pulmonologist this morning. I showed him my daily log of how I've been suffering for the last 2 mos. He couldn't say yet if it's asthma, so I'll have 2-4 tests to take. I'm started to be tested for whatever this is I may have. I will just hate it if it's my not dusting/vacuuming as much as I should that caused me to possibly develop asthma!

I've lived in my 700 sq ft apt 4 yrs...starting having nasal congestion for the last 1-2 yrs & now for the last 2 mos, I've been suffering w/ something in which it's been hard to breathe. The timeline sounds like the apt's the cause, right? (I never had any known allergies, asthma, or any other respiratory issues in my life before.)

Anyone know if asthma can be cured or reversed?

Things I've been trying to do to help myself & I try to do all-natural remedies as well:

I bought this Himalayan salt lamp to try to naturally purify the air.
I have a cool-mist humidifier that I've been running daily all day for the last 2 mos since suffering my ordeal.
I also will be getting an air purifier than I ordered.
I have several plants in my apt.

dizzybint, thanks for all the info in your last 2 posts above!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 03-21-2017 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 AM

419 posts, read 388,566 times
ForeverBlue, if you believe the apartment is causing your issues, why not try temporarily moving out to see if that makes a difference? If you can move in with someone for a couple of weeks or find some sort of other accommodation, you can see if you feel better out of your apartment. If you notice a big improvement, it might solve your problems. All, that is, except having to look for another apartment.

You also might look into things like mold testing in your apartment.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 PM

12,789 posts, read 15,024,412 times
StillRoaming, yes, thanks. It would be real interesting to move out for a good month to really test if I feel a lot better...I probably would.

IN the meantime, looks like I'll have to start vacuuming & dusting 2-3x/week nowadays. I keep windows open as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies