Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 05:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

It's very difficult to find an apartment without carpet. Will covering the entire carpeted area with plastic carpet shield help minimize dust mite allergens indoors?

Even with regular cleaning/vacuuming, I notice feeling much more congested (sinuses) living in a place with carpet than I did living in a place without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 06:00 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
How big is your apartment? Would the landlord consider replacing the carpet with tile, hardwood or even laminate? Maybe you could split the cost with him?

Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How big is your apartment? Would the landlord consider replacing the carpet with tile, hardwood or even laminate? Maybe you could split the cost with him?
We're moving out of this apartment as it is, since we're moving to a different city. We're looking into studios, and all the listings seem to have carpet. But we're looking for a studio.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:57 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's very difficult to find an apartment without carpet. Will covering the entire carpeted area with plastic carpet shield help minimize dust mite allergens indoors?

Even with regular cleaning/vacuuming, I notice feeling much more congested (sinuses) living in a place with carpet than I did living in a place without it.
I imagine it would help, however I have to wonder if a landlord would allow it. Might want to check with them before signing a lease and moving in. Personally, I'm allergic to basically everything and the plastic covering the carpet would also affect me, so would be a bad option for me. Maybe plastic doesn't affect your allergies though.

Back in 1994 when I was finally diagnosed with very severe allergies, my allergists educated me regarding the bedroom and bathroom being the worst places in a living space for allergies and mold. You may already know this but you can buy allergy covers for pillows and I'm sure for beds as well.

A few years ago I purchased a dehumidifier that is placed in the bathroom when I take a shower. The humidity it kept somewhat under control while I'm in the shower then afterwards I leave it on for a couple hours. That not only reduces the humidity in my apartment, but it also helps control mold growth. The way my apartment is situated in the building humid air has a hard time escaping.

Probably the best thing I'll be doing in the future is buying a HEPA approved air purifier for a large room, along with new pillows and allergy covers for my pillows and my bed.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:51 PM

18 posts, read 25,845 times
I have allergies too. How do you guys know if its dust mites? How can one pinpoint such a thing? Allergens can be anything right? Can dirt/dirty things cause symptoms?

Old 10-09-2016, 09:11 PM

123 posts, read 103,884 times
Just vacuum a lot and you should be fine.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Area rugs are so much better. In a climate were you get freezing temps, you put the rug outside in the cold for 24 hours and the dust mites freeze to death. These wall to wall carpets are troublesome for allergies and you can never really get them clean.
It's what you usually get in an apartment though.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,333 times
The best thing to do would be to get an air purifier with True Hepa filtration. Even if you vacuum every day, you still won't get all the dust. I recently saw this article about air purifiers: https://www.wicked-reviews.com/best-air-purifier/ and I actually got the Coway Mighty. You can really see the difference in how much dust is laying around.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I may have possibly developed asthma or an allergy living in my current apt. I've been here 4 yrs & it has carpeting and gets dusty. I've been getting it professionally shampooed once a year (I vacuum more often than that), but I slacked some lately and now I got this...I don't even know (was told viral bronchitis, but who knows) & neither does my dr really. I'm about to take the next step toward getting a referral for a pulmonologist to see what's going on with me.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:22 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

shake bicarbonate all over the carpet and leave it overnight before hoovering.. or consider washing the carpet , then buy a hepa filter for your home.. all different prices but they seem to help a lot. shame though that you have to go to expense when this shouldnt be an issue.. werer there dogs in the apartment also before you.. I have mostly wood floors for allergies but I do put loads of bicarbonate once a week on it and leave overnight and this keeps my hoover for getting smelly too as well as freshening the carpet.. I like a rug so that I can turn it over and hoover the back of course impossible with a fitted carpet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies