Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:23 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,830,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I agree. I think there is also a correlation between the increase in food allergies and the increase in Autism rates. I think the food supply itself is to blame.

I will also say that I DON'T think either is related to vaccines, but I do think the pesticides sprayed freely on EVERYTHING and engineering crops to resist them is causing huge issues. This would also explain why we don't see the same levels of food allergies (or Autism) in countries that have much "cleaner" food supplies.
I am in the same camp as you. Of course I have nothing to back up my hunches, but it just seems to me with Autism so common now as well as food allergies it makes sense to think something in our diets is making us sick. I also do not think vaccines have anything to do with autism either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 04:39 PM

26,763 posts, read 26,869,136 times
This doctor believes that severe peanut allergies have been a problem for decades.

"Dr. William Frankland, a British immunologist, is puzzled as to why it has taken so long to develop treatments that might protect peanut allergy sufferers. He recalls that, 60 years ago, he successfully treated people with severe fish, egg and milk allergies by admitting them to hospital and giving them controlled injections containing the very substances that could kill them. “They were in for 12 or 13 days and they went out cured,” he says.*

Progress in tackling peanuts has been much slower, in part because even tiny amounts can prove fatal. Researchers experimented with*peanut injections in the early 1990s but..."

https://www.ft.com/content/682bb942-...7-59b4dd6296b8

Old 10-30-2018, 04:52 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,382,764 times
Default that's my suspicion, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My theory is there are more allergies due to additives, or crops being sprayed with poisons. Also, GMO's.
Any Kraft product I am guaranteed to break out in large, infected......you don't want to know.
And yet, Squirrel peanut butter is no problem at all.
My only problem is that as of two years ago Squirrel is no longer sold in Canada!

Even though Kraft peanut butter states that it's 100% peanut butter, I've known that's BS for half a century. Something else is going on, all right. Just can't figure it out, so obviously I just stay away!

Old 10-30-2018, 07:47 AM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
There is one more factor, peanuts (and corn) contain the largest amounts of aflatoxin which is a mold. You can google some articles about it. If one is sensitive to molds of any kind, they may experience health issues when consuming these products.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:24 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,076,873 times
I think it was a really bad idea to feed soy formula to infants. Soy is an endocrine disruptor which could be linked to autoimmune and allergies. It's in so many packaged products and restaurant foods too. Many of the adults having children now were also raised on it.

Ironically, the people who eat a lot of soy products are also the ones concerned about pesticides. I guess they don't know that soy is the most pesticide-contaminated crop. Soybeans cannot be raised profitably without loading them up with pesticides, even after genetically modifying them.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,847,886 times
I think there have always been allergies to such things as peanuts. I believe they were just constantly exposed to everyday items like that as children and developed an immunity to them over time. Now, so many people are such snowflakes and want to have a diagnosis and treatment for even the slightest hint of anything so they run to the doctor if little johnny seems to have a little reaction to something. Then they proceed to avoid having him come in contact with anything they think he might be allergic to so his immune system never sees some of these things and doesn't have the ability to recognize them as normal food items. Later on when he is 20, he comes in contact with peanuts or whatever at a restaurant and damn near dies because his body reacts so aggressively.

That is my take on it. None of my children have a "food allergy" although I can remember a couple of times when they were young they had a reaction to something and we gave them benadryl and moved on with life.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:41 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,394,039 times
In regard to autism, my own real world observation are the three people I personally know whose children are autistic also had the vaccines early, and together. MMR. Two of the three wish they never had the shots early, nor together. Just sayin' ...

Old 10-30-2018, 11:04 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times
I can no longer eat bread in the US because of GMOs.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:13 AM

14,347 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I can no longer eat bread in the US because of GMOs.
Which GMO bread ingredient bothers you? Is it soy (oil) or corn (syrup)?

I avoid soybean oil and corn syrup but I don't have an allergy or sensitivity to either so I do eat whole soybeans and corn on occasion.

I know the US food supply and vaccine schedule get a lot of blame, but severe allergies are on the rise throughout the Western world. My husband's young niece and nephew had anaphylactic reactions to eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts, and they were born and raised in Germany.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,179,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My theory is there are more allergies due to additives, or crops being sprayed with poisons. Also, GMO's.
There are no GMO peanuts. (There are actually very few GMO crops routinely grown in the US.)

Mythbusters: GMO Peanuts | National Peanut Board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies