Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:38 AM

14,378 posts, read 11,783,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Be careful with the soybeans. Both myself and my super healthy daughter in law ended up with female problems years ago that we believe were from eating too much soy. She ate edamame and I was drinking protein shakes that contained soy. No more.
Yes, too much soy (especially in the form of highly processed soy derivatives) is not good. I have a history of hormone-sensitive cancer so I need to avoid it. However, my doctor said whole soybeans on occasion (1-2 times per month) are OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,723,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, I think it's always been around, but there is so much more of it now.

Example: Several years ago a 70 year old relative went into anaphylactic shock in a restaurant after eating seafood. This person had eaten seafood her entire life. It turned out to be a severe allergy to shellfish and she can never eat it again. I happen to know she has always been a healthy eater, so it's not due to fast food.

But I do think that a lot of things these days, maybe even some of the food allergies, are probably related to the amount of junk food people eat.
A couple of years ago my mother had a severe allergic reaction after taking some glucosamine tablets, she almost suffocated before making it to the ER. She had eaten seafood her entire life, but all we can figure out is there must have been a type of shellfish in those pills that she had never been exposed to before.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:00 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,768,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A couple of years ago my mother had a severe allergic reaction after taking some glucosamine tablets, she almost suffocated before making it to the ER. She had eaten seafood her entire life, but all we can figure out is there must have been a type of shellfish in those pills that she had never been exposed to before.
I think, for an allergy, it has to be something you were previously exposed to. As with my relative, she had been eating shrimp, lobster, and crabs all her life. Then this one day, it suddenly affected her. I don't know if anyone knows why things would change like this for her or for your mother. It's scary because how would anyone know? Just lucky that in both cases, they got to the ER in time.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,789,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Be careful with the soybeans. Both myself and my super healthy daughter in law ended up with female problems years ago that we believe were from eating too much soy. She ate edamame and I was drinking protein shakes that contained soy. No more.
I started having problems with soy many years ago. Once I stopped eating it, my cycle went from being irregular to a 28 day predictable cycle. It had never been regular prior to that. I avoid soy as much as possible.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,602,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Any Kraft product I am guaranteed to break out in large, infected......you don't want to know.
And yet, Squirrel peanut butter is no problem at all.
My only problem is that as of two years ago Squirrel is no longer sold in Canada!

Even though Kraft peanut butter states that it's 100% peanut butter, I've known that's BS for half a century. Something else is going on, all right. Just can't figure it out, so obviously I just stay away!
Kraft Peanut butter has added salt and added sugar and a couple of other things that might cause you trouble.

INGREDIENTS
Select Roasted Peanuts, Corn Dextrin, Sugar, Salt, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (to Prevent Separation).

You need to buy 100 percent natural peanut butter where the ONLY ingredient is peanuts. Western Family makes one, and there is also an American brand that I see around a lot called Adam's.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,923,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I started having problems with soy many years ago. Once I stopped eating it, my cycle went from being irregular to a 28 day predictable cycle. It had never been regular prior to that. I avoid soy as much as possible.
We noticed the same when we quit eating soy, my daughters and I all have shorter, lighter and more predictable cycles now.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
I don’t eat a lot of soy, only eat it when I go to Asian restaurant. I’m too lazy to cook it at home.

Regarding peanuts allergies, non of my kids have allergies to anything because they had to eat what we ate when they were younger. A moto my dad drilled on me early on because I was a picky eater. However, my brother’s kid has peanut allergies. I think perhaps they were allowed to pick and choose things when they were younger. Just a theory.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,502,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Kraft Peanut butter has added salt and added sugar and a couple of other things that might cause you trouble.

INGREDIENTS
Select Roasted Peanuts, Corn Dextrin, Sugar, Salt, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (to Prevent Separation).

You need to buy 100 percent natural peanut butter where the ONLY ingredient is peanuts. Western Family makes one, and there is also an American brand that I see around a lot called Adam's.
I've seen it at most supermarkets. If you look for organic peanut butter, you're bound to get something along the lines of 100%. It's also not that much more money, maybe a dollar or two.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:02 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,794,518 times
Some supermarkets, like Winco, have grind-your-own peanut butter dispensers. They also have grind-your-own almond butter at my local Winco. No worries about additives that way - nothing but pure nut butter.

As to peanut allergies (and other allergies as well), I was perfectly able to eat peanuts (which are actually a legume and not a nut), walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc., until I was about 60 years old. Now I'm allergic - tested positive to all - and much more that never used to be a problem. I do think external environmental factors play a role as well as possible pre-existing sensitivity which becomes active after repeated exposure to the offending substance. Just my opinion based on my own experiences.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:36 PM

14,378 posts, read 11,783,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Regarding peanuts allergies, none of my kids have allergies to anything because they had to eat what we ate when they were younger. A motto my dad drilled on me early on because I was a picky eater. However, my brother’s kid has peanut allergies. I think perhaps they were allowed to pick and choose things when they were younger. Just a theory.
Oh, this is not true at all. It appears that introducing allergenic foods like peanuts to young BABIES, under a year old, can reduce the risk of allergies. But if a child is old enough to "pick and choose" what he eats, he isn't going to suddenly become allergic to eggs because he doesn't like eggs.

"Eat what I put before you, or you'll develop an allergy" is not a thing. If anything, some kids avoid certain foods because they already have a sensitivity to them and know those foods will make them feel bad. My daughter isn't "allergic" to fresh pineapple, but it makes her mouth feel raw and sore. I actually feel really bad that I encouraged her to eat pineapple without realizing this.

Last edited by saibot; 11-05-2018 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies