Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times

Advertisements

I think the Young Living oils are the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Young Living buys wholesale and re-labels from the same places most other companies buy theirs from. There is nothing superior about their oils. The concerning thing is their claims about the oils. Most of the claims are untrue, and that casts a cloud over the entire aromatherapy profession.

I get my oils from Liberty Natural; they are a wholesaler importer who also does mail-order retail. They do their own mass gas spectrometry, and buy directly from the growers (and in some cases, they *are* the growers - they cultivate their own lavender, for instance).

Young Living sells lavendula angustifolia (lavender oil), 15ml, for around $25 (they have member price and non-member price - that's a near-average between the two). Liberty sells theirs by the "ounce" rather than the "milleliter" but the closest approximation to .15 of theirs is $4.83
Young Living's jasmine abolute is $90 for .5ml. Liberty's size approximation is $25.
Young Living's Rosa damascena (rose oil - they don't specify if it's absolute or otto) is $225 for .5
Liberty's approximation of size, the otto specifically, is $60.

The difference, other than the absolutely ridiculous cost, is that Young Living makes claims that are untrue, and recommends use of its oils that can actually be dangerous. Liberty is primarily a wholesaler; it is assumed that the buyer has some general idea of what they're buying. But they will inform and educate as needed to anyone who asks. Liberty also lets you know whether or not a specific product is organic, or wildcrafted, and which country it is grown in. In Aromatherapy, this actually makes a difference.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Actually, Young Living has huge fields of lavender just south of Salt Lake City. Don't know anything about type/growth but they have some kind of open house day when it is in bloom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Young Living claims that they own 1400 acres of land in Mona Utah, making their farm the largest herb farm in the world.

But the entire city of Mona Utah is only 868 acres (1.4 square miles), and there are over 1000 people living in it.

They also don't mention what cultiva of lavender they grow; and I can tell you for absolute sure, that their lavender is more likely to be for non-medicinal (perfume) use, than for medicinal use, because of the climate it's grown in. The chemotypes of lavender grown one place, are not the same as the chemotypes of lavender grown another place. Medicinal lavender is 40%-42%; it is a very specific proportion of phenol content. No certified aromatherapist would use a lavender for medical use, without knowing what the proportion is.

I'm sure their lavender's great for keeping the moths out of your linen closet (lavender is known for that), but I wouldn't trust it to treat 2nd degree burns.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Young Living buys wholesale and re-labels from the same places most other companies buy theirs from. There is nothing superior about their oils. The concerning thing is their claims about the oils. Most of the claims are untrue, and that casts a cloud over the entire aromatherapy profession.

I get my oils from Liberty Natural; they are a wholesaler importer who also does mail-order retail. They do their own mass gas spectrometry, and buy directly from the growers (and in some cases, they *are* the growers - they cultivate their own lavender, for instance).

Young Living sells lavendula angustifolia (lavender oil), 15ml, for around $25 (they have member price and non-member price - that's a near-average between the two). Liberty sells theirs by the "ounce" rather than the "milleliter" but the closest approximation to .15 of theirs is $4.83
Young Living's jasmine abolute is $90 for .5ml. Liberty's size approximation is $25.
Young Living's Rosa damascena (rose oil - they don't specify if it's absolute or otto) is $225 for .5
Liberty's approximation of size, the otto specifically, is $60.

The difference, other than the absolutely ridiculous cost, is that Young Living makes claims that are untrue, and recommends use of its oils that can actually be dangerous. Liberty is primarily a wholesaler; it is assumed that the buyer has some general idea of what they're buying. But they will inform and educate as needed to anyone who asks. Liberty also lets you know whether or not a specific product is organic, or wildcrafted, and which country it is grown in. In Aromatherapy, this actually makes a difference.
Have you ever used Young Living Oils? Are you saying they buy their blends from another company?

I have studied aromatherapy and have used Young Living Oils and I find them superior to any other oils I have ever used. The way they are used, while not traditional, has not resulted in any negative effects . . . quite the opposite.

The proof of an oil is in its use and effectiveness - there are many cheap oils out there - there is a difference between cheaper and more expensive, purer oils.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 AM

No, the proof of an oil is in its chemical makeup. A pure oil is a pure oil, no matter where it comes from. But a pure lavender grown in one climate may have completely different constituents than the exact same species of lavender grown in a different climate. If the lavender has a higher proportion of ketones and lower proportion of monoterpenes, then use on burns could actually be dangerous.

Essential oils do what they do, because of their organic chemistry. How much you pay for them is not indicitive of their quality. Rose oil is expensive because it's difficult to extract and the raw material : oil ratio is much more vast, than for instance, grapefruit peel : oil ratio - which is relatively narrow.

But as someone who "studied aromatherapy" you already know all that, right?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, the proof of an oil is in its chemical makeup. A pure oil is a pure oil, no matter where it comes from. But a pure lavender grown in one climate may have completely different constituents than the exact same species of lavender grown in a different climate. If the lavender has a higher proportion of ketones and lower proportion of monoterpenes, then use on burns could actually be dangerous.

Essential oils do what they do, because of their organic chemistry. How much you pay for them is not indicitive of their quality. Rose oil is expensive because it's difficult to extract and the raw material : oil ratio is much more vast, than for instance, grapefruit peel : oil ratio - which is relatively narrow.

But as someone who "studied aromatherapy" you already know all that, right?

Have no clue why you would put "studied aromatherapy" in quotes as if you are mocking me, when you know nothing about me and what I have studied, but aside from the put-downs, organic chemistry is only one factor that influences an oil . . . there is the soil and climactic elements it was grown in, the way it is harvested, the way it is distilled, the way it's handled, packaged, marketed, etc.

I see you did not address my question about your assertion that Young Living gets their oils from another source . . . I asked you if you were saying that their blends come from another source?

And to further disagree with your assertion that chemistry is everything . . .I have no knowledge of the company's founder and what he did or did not do, but I can tell you from EXPERIENCING Young Living Oils that they have amazing healing properties. I have used lots of different brands of essential oils and the Young Living Oils are by far superior. They can impact emotions, immediately . . . not all oils can . . .

You keep talking about burns . . . I personally have no knowledge of essential oils relevant to burns and that is not my area of interest. It seems like you are using that example to preclude other types of healing . . .not sure why you keep bringing it up.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM

ALL essential oils have healing properties. That is the nature of essential oils. Lavender is known -primarily- as a burn treatment; it is the oil that Maurice Gattefosse stuck his hand in when he burned it badly in his perfume lab. It is that healing property of lavender, that inspired him to create the word "Aromatherapy," from which all aromatherapy stems.

Which - is something you would know, if you had studied aromatherapy. If you are not familiar with lavender's property to heal burns, then you have not studied aromatherapy. You probably just read a few things from the Young Living website or maybe a few paragraphs from their sales brochures.

Young is a charlatan who has had business licenses stripped from him, has made claims about speaking at lectures that the sponsors of those lectures refute that he ever even attended, has claimed to have graduated schools that have no record of his attending, has actually caused the death of people by making unsafe stills, and who murdered his own first child by having his wife deliver in water and keeping the newborn underwater for an hour. This is fact. They have a huge farm in Utah, but it -cannot- be the size they claim, because the city that they claim the farm is in, is smaller than the claim of the size of the farm.

Most of the oils they produce, are second quality, even their ylang ylang, they don't mention which distilling it is. And it makes a HUGE difference in therapeutic quality which one it is. Their prices are ridiculous, and even the highest quality bulgarian rose otto is cheaper than their damask rose, which is a good quality, but inferior cultivar.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
I read a university study regarding the benefits of Chia Seed Oil for skin care. This is for topical use. Apparently very high Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E. Double positive. Here in the USA we use Chia Oil orally but again this is for topical use.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Different type of essential oil, Felix. The "essential" you refer to, is something that provides an "essential," or "important" nutritional component. Fatty oils with omega-3 are essential oils, in that regard.

In this thread, however, an "essential oil" is the distilled oil of aromatic plants. They aren't fatty oils at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine