Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 12,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Having good General Health should always be the first priority to treating any ailment. The lady asked for home remedies and this fits right in with such a regimen.
Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Okay - here is what I have heard other gout sufferers (friends and family members) say are some of the "home remedies" they have found helpful. It seems the cherry juice (as long as no sugar added) is very helpful. I have had folks tell me to get the CANNED cherries packed in water with no sugar and I have also heard dried cherries will help.

I have had one person tell me they use 1/2 Tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water - and drink that 2-3 times a day. The theory is - it helps w/ the uric acid crystals. Don't know if that is true, but this person swears it helps b/c of the alkaline properties in baking soda.

The other thing I have heard is to use Apple Cider Vinegar. I am not sure how much, tho. This person makes a tea with it, combining honey and the vinegar with water. Maybe you could google that remedy and see what proportions and if others have found that helpful.

I hope that gives you some more ideas to check out. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:47 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
i know that personally, i was frustrated with the amount of terrible information i received on the internet.

stand on your head and say "Gout" backwards, 11 times, eat an eye of newt, and take a shot of seawater from the Bosphorus Strait... and make sure you don't eat anything purple, or anything that was harvested on a Wednesday...

Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail Jones View Post
Exactly right - this is a genetic condition. It is stunning the garbage people believe when they want to blame the victim of a condition. I have suffered with gout and kidney stones (they are related) for over two decades and no diet change has any effect whatsoever.
It's no different than fat people who say "I can't lose weight." Someone with genetically low metabolism will feel that it is "impossible" to lose weight, when in reality it is just might be very difficult, requiring a truly extraordinary life change.

A caloric surplus / deficit is a lot like a uric acid surplus / deficit. It is affected by genetics, diet, and exercise.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
[quote=Mikhail Jones;20128994]Exactly right - this is a genetic condition. It is stunning the garbage people believe when they want to blame the victim of a condition. I have suffered with gout and kidney stones (they are related) for over two decades and no diet change has any effect whatsoever.
[quote]

The victim's lifestyle choices have a significant effect on what diseases/conditions they encounter in their life.

Look, I'm not saying genetics don't have a minimal amount to do w/these conditions, but in most cases, for say like these conditions (and diabetes also is a good example), preventative steps/choices throughout your life (ie diet/smoking/overeating/etc) will greatly lessen the chances of developing these problems.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Colchicine has long been a medication used to treat acute gout attacks. It used to be a cheap drug, but the FDA granted exclusivity in the USA to one company so it's now expensive!

My uncle suffers from gout and I suggested that he buy generic colchicine from a Canadian pharmacy. He did it and received the drug without any problems. PM me if you want the name of the online pharmacy that he used. You will still need a prescription for it from your doctor.
Wow..that is terrible news! I have been using colchicine for years when i get a flareup. If you take it at the outset of the attack you can suppress it quickly. Pills were like NOTHING cost-wise. I haven't had an attack in a few years now but was just thinking of getting a new bottle for the house..guess not...

Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Wow..that is terrible news! I have been using colchicine for years when i get a flareup. If you take it at the outset of the attack you can suppress it quickly. Pills were like NOTHING cost-wise. I haven't had an attack in a few years now but was just thinking of getting a new bottle for the house..guess not...

it used to be a few cents per pill.

the U.S. government decided to give exclusive rights to a pharm company, now it's $5 a pill. i don't see why not, it's only been in the U.S. since ben franklin brought it over here.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 AM

403 posts, read 878,129 times
Thanks to all of you that have provided soooo much good information, and anyone else that can send it our way. My DH was overwhelmed that there are so many out there that really seem to care, and want to help. I printed out several pages for him to read.......and he told me that he is going to try some of the suggestions. He was taking Indomethacin (50MG), and it seemed to work...but he just doesn't want to go back to the doctor...just so that doctor can tell him that he needs a refill. If after trying some of the suggestions and he can't find relief....I imagine he will make himself go back to get the above meds. Ohhh by the way...BrianH.....my DH was laughing through his pain at your description of your pain.....he said..."Now...that is someone that knows what this pain is all about!!" Thanks again......to everyone that took their time to care!!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
This is the information provided by the National Institute for Health
Q&A About Gout
and the CDC
CDC - Arthritis - Basics - Definition - Gout

I wouldn't reccomend laxatives to dehydrate the system-it's adequate hydration or rehydration that's vital with gout.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
Thanks to all of you that have provided soooo much good information, and anyone else that can send it our way. My DH was overwhelmed that there are so many out there that really seem to care, and want to help. I printed out several pages for him to read.......and he told me that he is going to try some of the suggestions. He was taking Indomethacin (50MG), and it seemed to work...but he just doesn't want to go back to the doctor...just so that doctor can tell him that he needs a refill. If after trying some of the suggestions and he can't find relief....I imagine he will make himself go back to get the above meds. Ohhh by the way...BrianH.....my DH was laughing through his pain at your description of your pain.....he said..."Now...that is someone that knows what this pain is all about!!" Thanks again......to everyone that took their time to care!!
Gout..the single most painful thing I have ever felt. If you havent felt it, you just don't know...and even if it goes away for a long time ..it will come back..diet well or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine