Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 PM

403 posts, read 878,129 times

Advertisements

My DH has had a hard time with Gout.....and wanted me to ask if there might be someone who might know some good home remedies....that might help with the swelling and pain. He has been taking some pills for it....but seems to have problems getting back with the doctor (always taped messages he says) to get the prescription refilled....plus the cost of the pills, sometimes it just doesn't fit in the budget. So if anyone has had experience with this problem....and knows something that does work...my DH would appreciate them sharing their knowledge. Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
My dad used to struggle with gout tremendously. He never complained much but I can still hear him talk about the pain. I don't know of any home remedies, my best advice to offer you is to watch everything he eats. When he is having a flare up be sure he eats very little chicken, low fat and no alcohol. You can google "foods that cause a gout flare up" and you will find a good list. Some days it will seem like he can't eat a thing but just hang in there.

Hope he finds relief soon.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:55 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
I've had a couple of flareups and cherry juice has always helped. That's my go to suggestion.

I can definitely attest that it's the most intense pain the body can manufacture. I'd rather a toothache or a shot to boys down below than deal with gout.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 AM

115 posts, read 296,711 times
Yep- my fiance uses black cherry juice that he gets at health food stores to help ward off gout attacks when he starts to feel the pain of one coming on (after eating too much crab legs at myrtle haha).

Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxdiva View Post
Yep- my fiance uses black cherry juice that he gets at health food stores to help ward off gout attacks when he starts to feel the pain of one coming on (after eating too much crab legs at myrtle haha).
That was exactly the cause of my last flareup, crab legs. I don't even know what my limit is before it brings on an attack. I know I can eat at least one, but I'm so terrified of an attack that I just don't eat them anymore.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
My DH has had a hard time with Gout.....and wanted me to ask if there might be someone who might know some good home remedies....that might help with the swelling and pain.
Tell him to drink skim milk, water, and black coffee. The New England Journal of Medicine singled out skim milk as the #1 thing you can consume, to help reduce gout attacks.

Anthocyanin is supposed to be an anti-inflammatory. Black cherry juice, dried black cherries, black rice, black raspberries are uncommon foods that have high levels of anthocyanin.

Find a good source of Vitamin C, but avoid fructose-- no fruit juices, sugar, nearly anything sweet. Nothing with pear, grape, or apple juice, which they've started adding to everything these days.

Avoid beef, pork, sausage, seafood, mushrooms, asparagus, beer. Limit wine / liquor.

As far as the pain goes, get some ice, and something to bite down on for those times when it feels like someone is driving a nail through your foot with a hammer. There is no easy solution -- if the doc gives him "pain meds", then he likely won't change his diet. If he doesn't change his diet then he will keep getting gout, and it will destroy his joints. Some people prefer to take pills for everything... if that's the case, then just find a new doctor, I guess.

Last edited by le roi; 07-22-2011 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Assume he's taking an NSAID like Ibuprofen that can be bought over the counter.
The other drug that comes to mind for the prevention is Allopurinol-however won't help an acute attack.

My Father used to suffer form gout (and kidney stones-they're similar) and always used to get it in hot weather or if travelling long distances when he probably became dehydrated. Now on allopurinol and hasn't had gout since.

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 07-22-2011 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That was exactly the cause of my last flareup, crab legs. I don't even know what my limit is before it brings on an attack. I know I can eat at least one, but I'm so terrified of an attack that I just don't eat them anymore.

My dad couldn't eat any type of shellfish. His gout got so bad at one time, he had to have surgery to remove the crystalized uric acid from joints in his feet.

Take care you!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
My DH has had a hard time with Gout.....and wanted me to ask if there might be someone who might know some good home remedies....that might help with the swelling and pain. He has been taking some pills for it....but seems to have problems getting back with the doctor (always taped messages he says) to get the prescription refilled....plus the cost of the pills, sometimes it just doesn't fit in the budget. So if anyone has had experience with this problem....and knows something that does work...my DH would appreciate them sharing their knowledge. Thanks.....
Sylbeth, gout (also known as the "rich mans disease") can be treated most effectively through diet changes. In most cases its a personal choice to continue to have this disease.

Is he willing to make the tough choice (through diet changes) and get rid of it or not?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Sylbeth, gout (also known as the "rich mans disease") can be treated most effectively through diet changes. In most cases its a personal choice to continue to have this disease.

Is he willing to make the tough choice (through diet changes) and get rid of it or not?
Further episodes may be prevented by lifestyle and diet changes, but in the meantime it's very painful and NSAIDs will help.
It's also prevented effectively by allopurinol which lowers uric acid levels.

I agree that other co-morbidities that increase risk of gout should be addressed, particularly as they increase risk for CV disease, however behaviour change isn't as easy as you make it sound! If it was then we would have a very healthy population

Dietary causes account for about 12% of gout. Other triggers include injury to the big toe joint and there's also a genetic link.

People with metabolic syndrome- a precursor to diabetes are more likely to suffer too.About 75% of gout sufferers have this Metabolic syndroms is a combination of abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, insulin resistance and high cholesterol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine