Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times

Advertisements

One year for Easter services, our church had an incense that was supposed to not bother people with allergies. It was much better than previous years, but the smoke from it still bothered some. You may be able to locate some through a church supply store. It would need to be one that supplies Catholic or Anglican churches.

The smoke and heated air bother me as much as the scent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One year for Easter services, our church had an incense that was supposed to not bother people with allergies. It was much better than previous years, but the smoke from it still bothered some. You may be able to locate some through a church supply store. It would need to be one that supplies Catholic or Anglican churches.

The smoke and heated air bother me as much as the scent.
Thank you Padgett. I suppose it will just continue to be trial & error as many incenses are made with so many ingredients, they release carcinigens when burned. Most shops that buy them have no idea what's in them. Others are more pure, but since ingredients don't need to be listed, it's hard to tell. Yes, I don't remember people choking/coughing in church when I was a kid when incense was burned for High Mass, but then again, the ceilings are so high, I suppose it rises quickly, same as in some metaphysical centers I've been in.

I think I'll explore the route you suggest as I now remember somewhere along the way, hearing that at least some monks/nuns make incense for the church. I'd imagine they'd have less ingredients & be more pure? Kathleen Keating used to have a link on her site for medals, etc., but I don't see an incense listed. I swear her old site had incense, but that was years ago. In any event, I suppose I need to find someone who makes it themselves. I have seen sites in the past, so I know they exist.

Thank you, again. Have a great week... VV

Old 09-17-2007, 05:38 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Good information about Catholic Church. I was in one in Mexico and the scent of whatever they were burning smelled wonderful but no one could tell me what it was. Perhaps Kitten, you should check out the Catholic church, even talk with a priest. Or go to a Catholic shop and ask them.

I have mild asthma, and when I was once in a religion that used incense I could never find one that didn't bother me, even before I had asthma. I used to light the end and wave it around for a moment and blow it out. Now I just let it sit for the smell. And then I would burn a scented candle instead. Try to not get so caught up in the need to use incense in rituals because it isn't that important. It is more of the idea that is behind it.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:56 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,230 times
Nag Champa makes me gag, as does most other "earthy" smelling incense. I don't have any other breathing issues, but that kind of smell does bother me terribly. However, I do use (and love) cedar and pine incense, usually from a company here in Maine called Paine's.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Perhaps Kitten, you should check out the Catholic church, even talk with a priest. Or go to a Catholic shop and ask them.
Hi Jess -

Thanks for your reply. Most searching can be done via 'net today. You'd be surprised how many Catholic supply shops are online, which is very convenient for many. Yes, in Boston, I'm surrounded by churches, so have plenty of resources if that weren't the case.

Quote:
Try to not get so caught up in the need to use incense in rituals because it isn't that important. It is more of the idea that is behind it.
No worries. I'm not caught up in anything. I haven't used incense since '94 but have recently thought I'd like to find some that won't send me running for my inhaler. I'm not frantic, but as the written word reads dry & I'm trying to clarify, perhaps that's come across as too direct. My apologies, no harm meant & I appreciate everyone's help.

I'm sure some incense exists that doesn't release much smoke/scent/carcinogens. I was looking for brand names to research & if I find it great, if I don't, that's fine, too.

Have fun... VV

Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Nag Champa makes me gag, as does most other "earthy" smelling incense. I don't have any other breathing issues, but that kind of smell does bother me terribly. However, I do use (and love) cedar and pine incense, usually from a company here in Maine called Paine's.
Hi Deer -

Thank you. You may have something here I hadn't thought of before. I love the smell of Nag Champa, if I could just bloody well breathe around it. Like you, it's just about the absolute worst for me & I wheeze upon first sniff of it burning. But, in general, I search for those earthy smelling incenses, like Patchouli. I like that heavy aroma. Maybe something of a different plant would be more appropriate?

Thank you, I will check out Paine's. I'm sure I'll find it online. I'll let ya know.

Cheers... VV

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 AM

Kitty, just that went I was in an Eastern religion I got caught up in believing that I had to burn incense when it gave me a headache.

I found one that I love, but I still can't burn it, and now I can't find it. It was Jamaica with some rum and vanilla in it. I still have some left and just sit it around and have it in clothing drawers.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Kitty, just that went I was in an Eastern religion I got caught up in believing that I had to burn incense when it gave me a headache.
Hi Jess -

No worries. We all have our learning experiences, yeah?

I was just looking for some incense, not a religion.

I feel the same as you do about your incense, come springtime when my beautiful lilac tree blooms. I have to close the windows tightly, as the gorgeous smell wafting inside only serves to keel me over, very sadly. I adore them... the smell, the look of the flowers, the colors... but, I just can't breathe. Funnily, lilacs used to make my little cat sneeze, too. Ah... nothing cuter than a sneezing kitten!

Deer -

I found the Paine's online. It's very inexpensive. Thank you.

Thanks for your replies, everyone... VV

Old 09-20-2007, 05:10 AM

I just planted lilac bushes near our back screened in porch. I hope they don't bother me. The smell of some flowers do. they don't cause me to not be able to breath, but the smell could cause a headache. For example I do not like Jasmine and most do. Time will tell.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM

23 posts, read 110,252 times
Unhappy How Delicate Americans Have Become

Quote:
Good information about Catholic Church. I was in one in Mexico and the scent of whatever they were burning smelled wonderful but no one could tell me what it was. Perhaps Kitten, you should check out the Catholic church, even talk with a priest. Or go to a Catholic shop and ask them.

I have mild asthma, and when I was once in a religion that used incense I could never find one that didn't bother me, even before I had asthma. I used to light the end and wave it around for a moment and blow it out. Now I just let it sit for the smell. And then I would burn a scented candle instead. Try to not get so caught up in the need to use incense in rituals because it isn't that important. It is more of the idea that is behind it.
I never cease to be amazed at how complaining and allergic the American public has become and how aggressive they are about it. It seems that the public no longer prides itself on "true grit" and the ability to be strong but instead now develops allergies and annoy everyone else with their complaining. Farmers 100 years ago couldn't boo hoo and say they had an allergy and couldn't farm!! The result would be starvation. They had candlelight and I bet no one whined about the "icky" smell of candle wax. What an enormous bunch of self-absorbed babies we've become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine