Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

As someone who has asthma/allergies, I'm still trying to find an incense I can burn which doesn't exacerbate an attack. Some are much worse than others & yes, no smoke is good to inhale, but I'm not talking about burning it 24/7 while lingering over it, just occasional burning.

Some incenses don't bother certain folks with asthma & others do. Nag Champa is one that many with breathing problems recommend, but it's the absolute worst for me. Any metaphysical types out there who possibly have breathing difficulties yet can use a particular incense? If so, could you tell me the name, if it's stick, powder or cone & where you purchase it, particularly if online?

Thank you very much... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
I have the same problem, and I could never find an incense that didn't bother me. I found one that I love the smell of but I can't find it again, so I have a package of it and when it runs out. Sad. What I do is take two sticks and put them in the room. Makes the room smell good. I don't burn them.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I have the same problem, and I could never find an incense that didn't bother me. I found one that I love the smell of but I can't find it again, so I have a package of it and when it runs out. Sad. What I do is take two sticks and put them in the room. Makes the room smell good. I don't burn them.
Hi Jess -

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've done the same with a handful of Patchouli incense tucked into different corners & even only burning it when it's warm enough that I can open windows & fan the smoke outside, but I feel the same as you, it would be nice to have one to leave burning. I have heard of brands that don't interfere with those of us with breathing problems, but no one ever seems to remember the name of ones they swear that don't.

I've found that the less expensive ones that release a lot of smoke, & toxins, are the worst. I've even resorted to lighting some incense (I use mostly cone), swirling a bit of it in each room, then putting it out. And, I suppose it depends on the sq. footage of your home, which is why it never bothers me when I walk into metaphysical shops with high ceilings that are bigger than my apt.

Maybe I'm wishing for something that can't be, but that's okay. I'm still convinced Al Pacino & Antonio Banderas are fighting over me... & that's why neither one has yet called. They're still working it out...

I know, dream on, little girl... <big sigh>
Have fun... VV

Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Well, I have heard that the more expensive ones have fewer ingrediants and are pretty much just resin from the plant. The less expensive have additives.

That said, any addition to good, old, air can be considered pollution, like the definition of a weed is ANY plant that grows where you don't want it to.

Are there incenses which are menthol, eucalyptus - things that actually clear the passages? Vicks? Ok, so that's not funny.

Have you consulted with forums on ayurveda websites, which may be more familiar with the preparation of these products and the health issues that arise from them?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:09 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Why not go with one of those candles that burn in a dish above a little candle below....not sure what they are called. My sister got me some different fragrances and they are wonderful. The candles I have are called "Yankee Tarts Wax Potpourri". They have many different fragrances to choose from. I way prefer these to insense personally. And I sure don't notice the smoke from them!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, I have heard that the more expensive ones have fewer ingrediants and are pretty much just resin from the plant. The less expensive have additives.

That said, any addition to good, old, air can be considered pollution, like the definition of a weed is ANY plant that grows where you don't want it to.

Are there incenses which are menthol, eucalyptus - things that actually clear the passages? Vicks? Ok, so that's not funny.

Have you consulted with forums on ayurveda websites, which may be more familiar with the preparation of these products and the health issues that arise from them?
Hi Golden -

That's pretty much what I've said/found, which is why I'm asking here. Doesn't hurt to ask as ya never know where info will come from.

Thanks... VV

Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Why not go with one of those candles that burn in a dish above a little candle below....not sure what they are called. My sister got me some different fragrances and they are wonderful. The candles I have are called "Yankee Tarts Wax Potpourri". They have many different fragrances to choose from. I way prefer these to insense personally. And I sure don't notice the smoke from them!
Hi Cyn -

Thank you. I'm not looking for scent, otherwise I could just use potpouri. I love candles & burn them regularly but not with scent as they make me gasp. Again, it depends on the purity of the ingredients & sadly, expense tends to dictate quality. I'm looking for incense as it's used in metaphysical rituals. I was hoping someone who is affected by burning incense could recommend a brand that's agreeable to their system. As I've mentioned, some say Nag Champa is the best, however, for me, it's the worst. I've been using it for many years, but I suppose I'll have to just keep trying brands. Perhaps online stores may offer better brands? I'll keep checking.

Thanks for your reply... VV

Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
I thought that magical rituals dictate a specific scent/herb to be used?

If you are using it just for meditation, the Catholic Church uses pure beeswax candles, I am told, as they burn the purest and cause the least breathing problems. Perhaps they also use the best incense, and you could ask where they order it from?

Or, sometimes there are religious supply shops which sell a lot of figures of saints and rosaries and things. They might be able to give you a lead.

Since Hindus also use incense, I would also query those ayurvedic websites. How about Deepak, who is into health and spirituality?

Sorry, if I am repeating myself or the ideas of others. Just trying to be helpful here.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Probably the safest thing to do if you have to have your air perfumed, is to put a pot of water with herbs/spices in it and boil it. Maybe you can get some benefit from the steam as well?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for incense to burn, not to have perfumed air, although that's a nice "side effect". I think some are misunderstanding the post, but no worries.

I've been around some great incense, that was a pleasure to breathe in but don't know which brands they were. It's out there, I just have to find it & will continue searching.

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate the responses... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine