Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,915 times

Advertisements

Actually, gray hair can be caused by a variety of deficiencies, but in the case of people with thyroid problems the link is more clearly to iodine. Coincidentally, last night, while watching YouTube videos about hair care, I saw one about mixing castor oil and decolorized iodine together to regrow hair...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,639 times
Does anyone take Nascent iodine or Iosol? Prompted by this thread, I did some reading and I came across these forms of iodine as well. What are the advatages/disadvantages to using these forms instead of Lugol's?

Old 04-25-2020, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,580 times
Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in any of the following, nor is any of this intended as medical advice. This is just me sharing an exciting discovery.

Recently at age 50 my sleep quality and testosterone levels were good, but hugely improved when I started iodine supplementation. I was truly amazed, it felt like returning to my peak teenage years! Apparently this made a big impact on my hormonal health.

Before starting, I read a lot of published information and studies about potential health benefits and safety of dosage. I highly recommend the book "Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It" by Dr. David Brownstein, available on his website. He has 20+ years of clinical practice in Michigan with a focus on holistic medicine. Many of his related talks and interviews over the years are available on youtube by searching: brownstein iodine.

For an inexpensive source of iodine, I purchased pharmaceutical grade potassium iodide crystals from CarolinaChemical. Their 100 gram size bag is enough to last 17 years at 12 mg iodine per day. The product was manufactured by SQM, an established chemical company in Chile which is the largest global producer of iodine.

To make an iodine solution, I add 1/8th (0.125) teaspoon of potassium iodide crystals (just scooped and leveled off, not packed down, 940-1030 mg on my Weighmax CT20 milligram scale) into 16 ounces purified water at room temperature in a clearly labeled jar with lid. I store this solution at room temperature and it lasts me 63 days.

1000 mg potassium iodide crystals * 0.7645 (76.45% iodine by weight) = 764.5 mg iodine, divided by 63 (16 ounces water contains 63 doses, each 1/2 tablespoon) = 12.1 mg iodine dose

Each day I take a 1/2 tablespoon of the solution for 12 mg iodine. Guy. E. Abraham M.D. and associates found in extensive iodine research (free to read at Optimox) that around 12 mg/day iodine is the amount for most healthy adults to achieve optimal iodine levels throughout the body, with many observed health benefits including suppression of abnormal and cancerous cells.

I gradually worked up to a daily dosage of 12 mg iodine. I read that if suddenly taking high amounts of iodine, some people experience temporary side effects as iodine helps the body excrete toxic bromide, fluoride, perchlorate, etc. Dr. Brownstein has found that unrefined salt can assist that process. He recommends to avoid refined salt and instead consume 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per day unrefined salt. Personally I have found that 1/2 teaspoon salt is plenty and have not noticed any side effects from the iodine. I do follow his advice to use unrefined salt. Most sea salt contains microplastics. I prefer unrefined rock salt from underground salt mines. I've found Morton ice cream rock salt to be clean and good quality. I visually inspect, discard the few pieces that are not clear, and fine grind it.

Included in my daily supplementation are the following which Dr. Brownstein recommends to help the body more efficiently utilize higher amounts of iodine: vitamin B complex, magnesium citrate 600 mg, zinc 30 mg, selenium 200 mcg. Selenium is especially important for thyroid health. I had already been using the Vitacost brand of those supplements for many years, so they were not responsible for the recent increase in testosterone.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:34 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,355,231 times
Thanks for all that info, powermindset. I'm glad the iodide is helping you. Dr. Brownstein says iodine is used in every cell in the body, but especially all the glands which is probably why you noticed such a difference in your testosterone.

I am taking Iodoral along with the other companion nutrients listed by Dr. Brownstein in his book.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I started to research iodine for breast health when I stopped the 2 mammograms I did in my early 50's, and that was close to 30 yrs ago. Dr. David Williams brought Iosol to my attention and made sense to me. Then came all of Dr. Brownstein's..work. I do 1-2 drops Iosol daily for probably 20 some yrs. And NO machine squeezing for this gal's breasts.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:04 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,943 times
I'm asking a question similar to swgirl926 from 2014!

Does one prefer Nascent or Iodoral? And why?
I've heard that Nascent is more like what your body naturally produces...biologic.

And what's a good starting dose?

I will be discussing this with my doctor before I start taking it.
Thx.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Why do you want to take it, for general health or to treat something specific?

A regular doctor may warn you away from it. They are taught that iodine is toxic. An integrative doctor or naturopath may be better informed.

Dr. Brownstein says that 12.5 mg is a good daily dose, based on the average intake of Japanese eating a traditional diet high in fish and seaweed.

As for form, the body uses both iodine and iodide forms, and can convert iodine to iodide. I'm not sure, though, if it can convert iodide back to iodine. Some tissues require the iodine form (breasts, sex organs) and do not have a means to convert iodide to iodine.

Nascent is the iodine form. Iodoral contains both iodine and iodide. I have used both at different times. Currently I am using Iodoral and giving my cat 1 drop of Nascent iodine in her wet food once a week (the food contains only the iodide form).

Old 06-09-2020, 01:43 PM

I'm looking for a little boost, and to help me w/my general health.

These were taken in July 2018...didnt realize it so long ago.
Thyroxine-1.2...(0.8-1.8)
TSH-0.80...(0.40-4.50)
T3free-2.4...(2.3-4.2)

These taken May 2020
T4free-1.2
TSH-1.21

They forgot to take or order my T3free...waiting on those results...any day now.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:53 PM

For just general health and thyroid support, 12.5 mg is recommended by iodine-literate doctors such as Dr. Brownstein.

With iodine, it's best to start low and slow to see how your body responds. If using Iodoral 12.5 mg, snap the tablet in half for 6.25 mg. Take in the morning before noon, as it can be stimulatory and may interfere with sleep if taken later. If you can, also supplement with selenium 200 mcg or eat 3-4 Brazil nuts, as both iodine and selenium are needed to produce and convert thyroid hormone. If after a week or so at 6.25 mg you feel good, then consider raising to 12.5 mg.

If you're interested, check out Dr. Brownstein's book "Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It".

Old 06-09-2020, 08:28 PM

Thank you noodlecat!
Yes, i do want to start out slow. Doesn't the Iodoral come in a tincture/drops?

Do I need to take it w/food, or on an empty stomach?
I guess I can read all about it when I purchase it.
I won't forget the selenium.

Will check out the book also. I've been seeing his name mentioned while reading these posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine