Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 06:54 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times

Advertisements

So, with this whole pandemic, COVID-19 situation that's hit across the world, I have been quite astonished at the amount of people who FAILED themselves. What I mean by this--and not trying to get into the politics of this--is that so many people have relied on the "powers that be" to dictate their health, their methods, rather taking their health into their own hands. I understand for some individuals, herbal, natural, holistic remedies may not be enough. Mainly for those whom already have conditions that make them that much more vulnerable to this virus and any other virus, truthfully. Obese individuals, elderly people (there has been elderly people who survived this) who have other pre-existing conditions and individuals who smoke or do detrimental drugs that lower their immune system and make them more vulnerable to this.

Anyway, for those of us who are in generally good shape or above average shape, I am curious to what your methods are to preventing or beating the virus.

I have a friend of mine who got this virus, he's 54, has hereditary high blood pressure is on dialysis and he beat the virus with ease. Granted, he was healthy despite his conditions. He jogs, does yoga, does martial arts, always active and in shape. To beat the virus he took 2 or more cloves of garlic everyday, drank warm water, ate foods high in vitamin C, and would make a sauna in his bathroom to sweat and detoxify. He beat the virus and for him, he had regular flus that were much worse.

As for myself I take a clove of garlic, half a jalapeno, a bit of ginger, 2 slices of lemon, and honey. Mix them in a mug of hot water, let it sit for a few minutes. Every morning and sometimes at night.

Of course I am very physically (and mentally) active, so the running, burpees, calisthenics, martial arts, breathing techniques help with me boost my immune system. Plenty of water and liquids throughout the day. General healthy eating.

Like my buddy, I do a bathroom sauna (if I can't make it to an actual sauna) and wear a sauna suit to sweat IF I feel I am coming down with something. I'll rub my body with a little tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil and vasoline, to get out a little extra sweat.

For MYSELF these methods have worked in either preventing and/or beating a sickness before it gets worse. Again, these are my methods that have worked for me. Once in a while I'll take a NyQuil, OTC or something more "advanced" if I really feel like I should or need to. 90% of the time, it's all natural remedies.

So, let's share methods. Who takes responsibility for their health first? Before anyone power tells them how they should take care of themselves? How do you prevent from getting a virus/cold/getting sick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 09:13 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I'm no expert in this, but I very rarely get sick, and if I do feel something coming on I usually follow a routine similar to yours. I take echinacea and extra vitamin C, eat a spoonful of raw honey, drink a lot of hot green tea with ginger, bundle up and go to bed early. The idea is to be sweaty...I don't have a sauna but thick socks and an extra blanket or two, enough to feel a little too warm, usually does the trick.

Virtually all the time, I wake up in the morning feeling fine or at least much better. The last time I actually got sick was while I was traveling in December and staying in a hotel. I could feel it coming on (sore throat), but I didn't have access to my usual home remedies and I don't sleep well in strange beds. It became a full blown cold which lasted a week. I really think I could have fought it off if I'd been home.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:26 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
This virus can affect different individuals very differently. So some get no symptoms, some die fairly quick. Its not an easy disease to predict, thats why some are in denial that its even real. Inflammation of respiratory system is the big problem. My theory, any diet that minimizes inflammation response would be helpful. Some people have constant low level inflammation because of what they eat. Think low carb especially beneficial but who knows. Though also some specific foods and spices with anti-inflammatory effect. It wont cure you nor prevent you getting the disease, but might make it easier to live with and shorten your bout with it.

Or just eat loads of garlic and neither Batman nor any self respecting vampire will come within 6ft. Problem solved.

Some countries already figured out how to minimize new cases through extensive testing and extensive contact tracing. Rather than copy them, our leaders just went into denial and started squabbling making it political rather than medical. Shouting "Let the rabble die, we want to make money at any cost."

Old 06-18-2020, 12:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I have NOT had a cold or flu in probably 20-25 yrs and I've been supplementing with

Grape Seed Extract, Vit C, Vit D and more NOW with Zinc.

I'm going to take Monolaurin for a while now as I'm thinking I have a heavier virus load in my body from my history of some issues....I'm 82 soon.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:51 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
With the exception of covering my face when in crowded spaces and being more scrupulous about hand washing and disinfecting touch surfaces, I continue to do the same things I've always done to stay healthy. I hardly ever get so much as a sniffle. Eating right, exercise, controlling stress, some pretty basic vitamin/mineral supplementation, not staying around sick folks, keeping current on health monitoring done by my GP, attacking an oncoming viral infection with zinc, elderberry and extra vitamin C. If/when I have a health concern I DO SOMETHING about it, not sit around wringing my hands speculating or guilting myself about some unknown. Oh yeah, one other thing...resist the urge to indulge in virtue signaling or engage in ad nauseum debate regarding public health or agency agendas.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:58 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
...Anyway, for those of us who are in generally good shape or above average shape, I am curious to what your methods are to preventing or beating the virus...
I'll weigh in on the preventing aspect.

Despite covid19 being a novel virus, it's still a coronavirus, and (despite the havoc it's wreaking) nowhere near as lethal as other infections. So, the basics still hold:

Get adequate sleep.
Stay hydrated.
Reduce stress.
Limit (or avoid) toxins, such as - alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, sugar. (yes, I know these aren't technically bad for you, but in the amounts that most people consume, they are)

Next, the epidemiological advice:

Wash or sanitize hands often.
Always wear a mask indoors... when outdoors, maintain physical distance.

Last but not least, nutritional support for your immune system:

With meals

Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract, qty. 2
Orthomega Fish Oil, qty. 2
zinc picolinate (brand doesn't matter), 15 mg, qty. 1
Vitamin D3 (brand doesn't matter), 2000 I.U. , qty. 1
Ester-C with bioflavonoids, 1000 mg, qty. 1

Every 12 hours, on empty stomach

Dr. Ohirra's probiotic, qty. 1
Magnesium Taurate, qty. 1 (I prefer the Cardiovascular Research brand)
L-Glutamine, 500 mg, qty. 1 (I prefer the Pure Encapsulations brand)
N-Acetyl Cysteine, 500 mg, qty. 1 (I prefer the Protocol For Life Balance brand)

-- this is my personal stack, YMMV.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:54 PM

JG183, do you mean to say you wear a mask 24/7. I thankfully have not worn one yet..in or outside. And I don't own a sanitizer...but do own a lot of supplements and that to me is the most important in my life. I'm not out in the big world ... but inside my apt, a mask...no way.

Oh maybe you are in a home with lots of people, so that could be your reason.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:34 AM

49 posts, read 35,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
JG183, do you mean to say you wear a mask 24/7. I thankfully have not worn one yet..in or outside. And I don't own a sanitizer...but do own a lot of supplements and that to me is the most important in my life. I'm not out in the big world ... but inside my apt, a mask...no way.

Oh maybe you are in a home with lots of people, so that could be your reason.
I too don't wear a mask at home but while going to be on the safer side I cover my face. I don't take supplements but my diet contains food with lots of vitamins and nutrition.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:47 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
How many ounces of water do you consume with this mixture? Do you just mince the garlic and ginger and do they settle in the bottom of the glass? I've been thinking of doing this myself and have been looking for ways to incorporate garlic into my diet (cooking kills the Allicin in garlic, rendering it ineffective as a natural defense.)

Old 06-19-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertina Geller View Post
I too don't wear a mask at home but while going to be on the safer side I cover my face. I don't take supplements but my diet contains food with lots of vitamins and nutrition.
My diet is good too but what is perfect and our foods are so depleted of nutrients in our world today. I started supplementing in my early 50's and they are saving me at close to 82....

And I'm hearing all the latest info on how needless it is to do all the sanitizing millions are doing...I have not bought into that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine