Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2022, 06:52 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

For over thirty years my BP was thru the roof even on three tablets.. Seven or eight years ago I stopped drinking alchohol..didnt drink much but had a large whisky nearly every night.. stopped all that and my BP has got better ..I still take the tablets too though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 09:38 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times
I don't drink or smoke. I take garlic pills. I meditate. I walk (goal is 1 hour a day.) I am outside in nature for as much time as the day allows.
I sleep very little which is probably the reason for high bp. But it is not that I choose to sleep little because I am partying.
I do a little yoga. I have friends. I try to stay positive. My diet is ok.. No beef, too much chicken -- up to 3 times a week.
Not enough vegies.

oh well. doing the best I can. As we all do.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:47 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
I was looking for the same thing. I read that beets helped reduce blood pressure. I have been eating pickled beets regularly and it has worked for me. I chose pickled beets because you can eat them out of the can.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:02 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
A couple points--

BP is a physiological variable-- It goes up & down according to demands placed on the cardiovascular system. Exercise, for instance makes your BP go up in order to maintain an appropriate supply of oxygen to your muscles...but it goes back down as you rest....or anxiety releases adrenalin which makes your BP go up...etc etc

...What makes a difference is if the hi BP is sustained long enough to cause thickening of the arterial walls and damage to end organs.

It's no secret that most drugs are derived froim plant chemistry...The questiuon is "can you get enough of the important chemical by eating the plant, or should you let the pharm factories concentrate it for your in pill form?"

Re- Nitrous oxide-- it's an active local messenger involved in BP regulation, but it's very short lived in the circulation. Consider heart pts who take NTG tabs-- they get get a headache (from increased blood flow) for no more than 10-15 minutes after taking a high dose, standard pill-- way higher than any NO in beet juice or other snake oil.

If you find that meditation, herbs, spices or other activities lower your BP, then you don't have the disease Hypertension, you just have high BP readings on certain occasions, and it needs no treatment.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:11 AM

hm! good for you glad it worked.
I will add this to my list-
I love picked beets.
I would have thought they are high in sodium, no? -- being pickeled.

I am now looking at the sodium content of everything I eat.

Annoying, but .. necessary.

My conclusion: everything that tastes good is high in sodium!
Just kidding. sorta.

Humus, and chickpeas and beans are low in sodium, depending on how prepared. And healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I was looking for the same thing. I read that beets helped reduce blood pressure. I have been eating pickled beets regularly and it has worked for me. I chose pickled beets because you can eat them out of the can.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:14 AM

this is what I hope is the case with me.

I don't like being labeled with a disease, Hypertension. It conveys the sense that this is something I am stuck with, and I do not think like that. I assume that most conditions can be eliminated or ameliated with sufficient energy and knowledge and intent and discipline. That is my outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A couple points--

If you find that meditation, herbs, spices or other activities lower your BP, then you don't have the disease Hypertension, you just have high BP readings on certain occasions, and it needs no treatment.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:47 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
Check out Hawthorn Berry. There have been numerous studies on its effectiveness and it is often a first line treatment that holistic practitioners prescribe. It definitely worked for me.
https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/herb/hawthorn

Old 08-18-2022, 07:52 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A couple points--

BP is a physiological variable-- It goes up & down according to demands placed on the cardiovascular system. Exercise, for instance makes your BP go up in order to maintain an appropriate supply of oxygen to your muscles...but it goes back down as you rest....or anxiety releases adrenalin which makes your BP go up...etc etc

...What makes a difference is if the hi BP is sustained long enough to cause thickening of the arterial walls and damage to end organs.

It's no secret that most drugs are derived froim plant chemistry...The questiuon is "can you get enough of the important chemical by eating the plant, or should you let the pharm factories concentrate it for your in pill form?"

Re- Nitrous oxide-- it's an active local messenger involved in BP regulation, but it's very short lived in the circulation. Consider heart pts who take NTG tabs-- they get get a headache (from increased blood flow) for no more than 10-15 minutes after taking a high dose, standard pill-- way higher than any NO in beet juice or other snake oil.

Trying not to be too confrontational here.

I am not so sure this statement is correct. It makes it sound as if meditation, herbs, spices, and other activities are no use if you do not have Hypertension. Is this what you intended or have I misunderstood? I am sure there are other heart diseases which are helped by these things, aren't there?

Since many drugs are developed from natural sources and sythesised or concentrated by pharma companies, it seems as if you do not acknowledge that what we have is due to the herbalists and ancient wisdom in general.

Regular meditation has really helped to bring down my higher (not high) blood pressure.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:42 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
^^^ There's a difference between the disease Hypertension--usually defined as sustained elevated BP above an arbitrarily defined level-- (population studies show there is no BP below which further decreases don't benefit longevity, ie-- the lower the BP, the longer you live)-- as opposed to temporary elevations of BP caused by normal physiological response to stress (physical &/or emotional).

In regards the "traditional" treatments-- how did they know they had hi BP? They had no BP cuffs in those societies....If you have emotional stress that raises your BP, of course "meditation" will bring it down. So will just sitting down and relaxing-- no expensive lessons from a certified Yoga Master necessary.

Meditation is not going to bring down hi BP caused by renal failure, Cushing's Dis, severe arteriosclerosis, etc etc....Many anti-hypertensive drugs are derived from plants, but eating the plants probably won't give you a high enough blood level of the drug to be effective and maybe some of the progenitors of the effective drug may have the opposite effect. You never know.

If you have true Hypertension, treat it properly with drugs shown to have statistically reproducible improvements in outcomes. There's no "do-overs" with strokes.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:04 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
impressive trial for olive leaf extract

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21036583/

Olive (Olea europaea) leaf extract effective in patients with stage-1 hypertension: comparison with Captopril

After 8 weeks of treatment, both groups experienced a significant reduction of SBP as well as DBP from baseline; while such reductions were not significantly different between groups. Means of SBP reduction from baseline to the end of study were -11.5±8.5 and -13.7±7.6 mmHg in Olive and Captopril groups, respectively; and those of DBP were -4.8±5.5 and -6.4±5.2 mmHg, respectively.

A significant reduction of triglyceride level was observed in Olive group, but not in Captopril group. In conclusion, Olive (Olea europaea) leaf extract, at the dosage regimen of 500 mg twice daily, was similarly effective in lowering systolic and diastolic blood pressures in subjects with stage-1 hypertension as Captopril, given at its effective dose of 12.5-25 mg twice daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine