Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 11:43 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Calcium and magnesium can (and should) be taken together in the appropriate ratio (this is crucial). They work synergistically in a calcium-to-magnesium ratio of 2:1. The Bone Up product I looked at has them in the appropriate ratio. It also has d3, k2, boron, and more.

If you take calcium and magnesium as separate supplements, make sure the dosage is 2:1 or don't take them at the same time. So if your calcium dosage is 500mg, your magnesium dosage should be 250mg.

Also keep in mind that the body doesn't absorb more than about 500mg of calcium at one time so you shouldn't take more than that at one time. Dosages should be divided up at different times of day. Bone Up divides it up for you, probably others do too, I didn't look.

About calcium absorption: Calcium carbonate should be taken with a meal because it dissolves best with acid. Calcium citrate can be taken on an empty stomach because it doesn't need acid to dissolve.
Western diets are sorely lacking in magnesium, and the test for low magnesium only indicates the lack when someone is almost at death's door. OTOH, those same diets can be high in calcium from dairy products, veggies and other sources.

For years, the thinking on osteoporosis was a simplistic "Not enough calcium in the bones? Ingest more calcium!" The size of some of the horse pills was ridiculous. Worse, high calcium exacerbates heart conditions and three guesses what a high "calcium score" in a CAT scan indicates as a serious problem?

My wife bought into the take more calcium for quite a while, until it was obvious that the negative effects were greater than any benefit. At that point she moderated intake and I began making a fortified yogurt that was better tolerated.

Back years ago I did research on magnesium, which is the mineral some of you are noting. I found reports that in a stress situation, the body will shed magnesium first, and only then, once that has been exhausted, will it shed significant calcium. Yes, the same channels are in play, and the balance in the body is important.

Of and on for years, I have taken a magnesium asporotate capsule at night and after strenuous exercise. My calcium score is zero and my bones are in good shape. Obviously that is anecdotal evidence, but you may find similar correlations in your own research.

You can tell if your magnesium intake is too high by the looseness of your stools. Overdosing is pretty difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 11:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You can tell if your magnesium intake is too high by the looseness of your stools. Overdosing is pretty difficult.
This would completely depend on the type and amount of magnesium you're taking. Mg carbonate, chloride, hydroxide, oxide, and sulfate all have a laxative effect at typical doses.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:57 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
http://https://www.amazon.com/Garden...Y2hfYXRm&psc=1

I take Growbone. The reviews for it are good. Interesting to read the comments on some of the other, similar supplements.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:32 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This would completely depend on the type and amount of magnesium you're taking. Mg carbonate, chloride, hydroxide, oxide, and sulfate all have a laxative effect at typical doses.
They do, and you are correct. That is why I mentioned using a single capsule of magnesium asporotate, which has lass of an effect. Magnesium citrate is commonly used as an extreme laxative.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:57 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I use Bone Up. For magnesium there IS an accurate test, at least there was twenty years ago when I had a wonderful dr who really tested for it even back then. It was called the magnesium loading test. They injected me with magnesium and for 24 hours I had to pee into a container. Then they checked the urine for magnesium. I was severely lacking even with the injection.

Another alternative style doctor repeated the procedure several years later and same results no matter how much magnesium I take. Something's wrong but they don't know what it is. I just keep taking Bone Up and a good magnesium supplement along with it and hope for the best. I can tell when I'm getting low in magnesium if I start feeling shaky.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:11 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,540 times
In addition to serum tests, there are also tests that can test for a specific nutrient within cells. These are considered more indicative of how much of a nutrient is actually getting into the cells. They use the red blood cells (RBC).

You can get tests yourself if you don't mind paying out of pocket for them. There are a number of companies that will give you a doctor's order that you can take to LabCorp or Quest for the blood draw.

Here is a link to a Magnesium RBC test.
https://requestatest.com/magnesium-rbc-testing

Old 06-23-2023, 08:25 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
In addition to serum tests, there are also tests that can test for a specific nutrient within cells. These are considered more indicative of how much of a nutrient is actually getting into the cells. They use the red blood cells (RBC).

You can get tests yourself if you don't mind paying out of pocket for them. There are a number of companies that will give you a doctor's order that you can take to LabCorp or Quest for the blood draw.

Here is a link to a Magnesium RBC test.
https://requestatest.com/magnesium-rbc-testing
Getting tests yourself is a great option. I did that before I started Medicare. Very affordable and quick results. I'm looking at different testing options now, blood work, genetic, bone markers and redoing the Dexa scan.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:39 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Weight bearing exercise is beneficial for increasing bone strength - that goes for people with or without osteporosis. Obviously as with any exercise, you need to work safely and within your limits. But exercise increases bone density. Walking and yoga are examples of low impact exercise.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20044989

https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/...r-osteoporosis

Old 06-27-2023, 06:16 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Exercise and following an anti-inflammatory way of eating (lots of good info on the net if you search) have both significantly lessened my pain from arthritis in hips and knees.

I have a flare-up if I deviate too much from the eating plan...for me my biggest trigger food seems to be anything made from white, processed flour...

Old 09-05-2023, 11:22 AM

126 posts, read 147,027 times
Default Recommendations

Hi,
I am a holistic nutritionist and have been doing research on the topic of osteo for a while now. I do agree with many of the information/advice shared here. Also the best information that I found is from B. Taylor (MenopauseTaylor) retired MD on YouTube (she explains pros and cons of most options available. Here is a link
https://www.youtube.com/@MenopauseTaylor
This is her website: https://menopausetaylor.me/
NOTE: She also offers consults for a fee. Pls refer to her website

YouTube - Start at video number 218 and go to 229 for osteo and related information. Her other videos are very informative also.
All the best to you and your mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine