Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2023, 03:55 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

I'm sorta starting on a journey with natural remedies. Come to find out there are a bunch more plants around here that I didn't have a clue about. Here I thought I had a decent bank of knowing. A gal here showed me a bunch more very useful flora growing right in my yard and usually being treated as a nuisance.

One that really piqued me is one that is mixed up on the edges of ironweed patches. Ironweed IS a nuisance. But all around the edges she showed me "wild lettuce.. A prickly tough stalked plant that bleeds like milkweed. Which I would have took as a no go but it's not. The stuff makes a wicked painkiller. It doesn't impart a "high" like opiates but damn it is effective. I tried some of my friends and it did work great.

I've got some going of my own now. Experimenting with method for making. She showed me hers and I've watched a few vids on it. It's not hard to make but I'm still learning about cook times temps all the techie stuff. There's a bazillion ways to process the stuff. I can whip up a years supply of medicine that's way more effective than OTC pain meds in a day. That would cost me for OTCs over a year. I have serious pain issues.

I'll admit I never had a lot of confidence in the whole "natural remedy" thing (some of it can be pretty out there) but I'm coming around. Learning a lot. My first batch of wild lettuce extract is on it's final leg. I should know how I did by tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 08:55 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm sorta starting on a journey with natural remedies. Come to find out there are a bunch more plants around here that I didn't have a clue about. Here I thought I had a decent bank of knowing. A gal here showed me a bunch more very useful flora growing right in my yard and usually being treated as a nuisance.

One that really piqued me is one that is mixed up on the edges of ironweed patches. Ironweed IS a nuisance. But all around the edges she showed me "wild lettuce.. A prickly tough stalked plant that bleeds like milkweed. Which I would have took as a no go but it's not. The stuff makes a wicked painkiller. It doesn't impart a "high" like opiates but damn it is effective. I tried some of my friends and it did work great.

I've got some going of my own now. Experimenting with method for making. She showed me hers and I've watched a few vids on it. It's not hard to make but I'm still learning about cook times temps all the techie stuff. There's a bazillion ways to process the stuff. I can whip up a years supply of medicine that's way more effective than OTC pain meds in a day. That would cost me for OTCs over a year. I have serious pain issues.

I'll admit I never had a lot of confidence in the whole "natural remedy" thing (some of it can be pretty out there) but I'm coming around. Learning a lot. My first batch of wild lettuce extract is on it's final leg. I should know how I did by tomorrow.
German chamomile is a weed that grows in a lot of areas in the USA. You can steep the plant to make tea to settle the stomach. You can also mash the fresh plants to use as a poultice to soothe irritated (not broken) skin.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:49 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
How did your extract turn out? Wild lettuce has a long history of uses.

Plant/herbal medicine is Traditional Medicine (traditional knowledge that developed over generations) and has been used for far longer than modern medicine.

The term "weed" is just a plant that is invasive outside of its native region. Ironweed is native to some parts of the US but sounds like you are in a region where its invasive. Wild lettuce is invasive outside of its native regions also. Non-natives are more than a nuisance because they damage native flora (often killing and replacing it) and disrupt the ecosystem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine