Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:28 AM

278 posts, read 802,445 times

Advertisements

I own a copy of "Prescription for Nutrional Healing", author is James Balch. As Niners fan said, a good place to start. A ton of useful information, and very interesting reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Thanks to all for the information, I have a lot to look at. Keep it comming and if you can, pass on some site names as well.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:32 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,634 times
You could look at Ray Sahelian, M.D., world renowned nutrition expert and best selling author

He does sell products but I like his site because it has references to studies about natural medicine and many conditions.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
I'm recommending the book "Nutritional Almanac" by Gayla J. Kirschmann and Jonh D. Kirschmann.
Here's a little blurb about it (link below) that speaks about the content and value of this book and also recommends that you get the 4th edition because apparently the 5th edition has not gotten favorable reviews.
I've had the second edition (or it may be the 3rd ... not with me at the moment) for many, many years and it is a wealth of information.
Nutrition Almanac (http://www.mycaringconnection.com/nutrition_almanac.htm - broken link)
Another excellent book that you may want to find is "Healing With Whole Foods" by Paul Pitchford. I don't know which edition is preferable ... i think that i have the first one.
Amazon.com: Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition (3rd Edition): Paul Pitchford: Books

Paul Pitchford is an extremely knowledgeable expert in auverendic nutrition. I love this book that you recommended, I regularly look for information in there. Geared slightly more towards vegetarians and vegans, it is a "must-have".

Another one I like is "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. It is based on studies of Weston A Price geared more towards meat-eaters and has tons of nutritional information. The research is based on traditional tribal foods. Another absolute "must-have".

Weston A Price had written a book called "Nutrition and Physical Degenaration", it is a fascinating read. But this book is hard to find.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:45 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post

Another one I like is "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. It is based on studies of Weston A Price geared more towards meat-eaters and has tons of nutritional information. The research is based on traditional tribal foods. Another absolute "must-have".

Weston A Price had written a book called "Nutrition and Physical Degenaration", it is a fascinating read. But this book is hard to find.
Good info Max's mama about Fallon and Price as i too eat mainly according to the Paleo ways as i can't tolerate Grains at all or high amounts of carbs. I thrive on Vegetables, Blueberries and Meat although it's usually Salmon and Chicken mostly.

Although i'm still not sold 100% on the Paleo diet as we are now unraveling the Epi-genome that shows that our Genomes do change in about 3 generations or so but i still go by the basic Paleo principles.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Good info Max's mama about Fallon and Price as i too eat mainly according to the Paleo ways as i can't tolerate Grains at all or high amounts of carbs. I thrive on Vegetables, Blueberries and Meat although it's usually Salmon and Chicken mostly.

Although i'm still not sold 100% on the Paleo diet as we are now unraveling the Epi-genome that shows that our Genomes do change in about 3 generations or so but i still go by the basic Paleo principles.
Paleo Diet is great, but just like any diet, not everyone can tolerate it. I'm curious, you cannot tolerate any grains? Not even quinoa and soaked grains?
Did you check out Body Ecology Diet? That's another one that I find very interesting.

I try to be in tune with my body. I know many who would do great on plant based diet only. I'm not that person.
WAPF's teachings are concentrated on fermentation: fermented dairy and fermented vegetables. Also, traditional ways to prepare foods like grains and legumes (soaking overnight), only grass-fed and pastured meats and raw dairy. As well as seafood: including shell fish.
Not sure if you know the history behind it, Weston A Price was a very knowledgeable dentist and nutritional researcher, who researched many tribes across the world and their diet. What he found was fascinating. People who lived on traditional diets had amazing teeth. Straight, strong and cavity free with beautiful jaw lines. Amazingly, if one of those people moved to live in civilized modern world, they immediately started to experience dental problems.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:02 PM

[quote=max's mama;4441806]Paleo Diet is great, but just like any diet, not everyone can tolerate it. I'm curious, you cannot tolerate any grains? Not even quinoa and soaked grains?
Did you check out Body Ecology Diet? That's another one that I find very interesting.
QUOTE]

I haven't tried Quinoa or soaked grains like Oatmeal but over the last several years any grains at all just really burn my gut as it's like acid and no other food does that not even super hot and spicy chile peppers as i really wonder if i have Celiac or just general intolerance to them via the Immune Cells in the Villi.

Can't believe i've never heard of the Body Ecology Diet as i'll look into that but i have researched mant diets and experimented with alot of diets over the years from Atkins all the way to Vegan and the one for me is the Paleo diet allthough i wish i could have Oatmeal as the energy from it to pump iron and do high intensity cardio is just awesome.

Yeap interesting about teeth and jawlines of those eating grains and those on meat and vege's as i've read about that and not sure why as maybe something with mineral absorption. Also i can't wait for these new DNA Epi-Genome Blood tests coming out although about 5 more years until they are perfected as that should really answer as to what foods you can eat and which one's not.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 PM

[quote=6/3;4443424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Paleo Diet is great, but just like any diet, not everyone can tolerate it. I'm curious, you cannot tolerate any grains? Not even quinoa and soaked grains?
QUOTE]

I haven't tried Quinoa or soaked grains like Oatmeal but over the last several years any grains at all just really burn my gut as it's like acid and no other food does that not even super hot and spicy chile peppers as i really wonder if i have Celiac or just general intolerance to them via the Immune Cells in the Villi.

Can't believe i've never heard of the Body Ecology Diet as i'll look into that but i have researched mant diets and experimented with alot of diets over the years from Atkins all the way to Vegan and the one for me is the Paleo diet allthough i wish i could have Oatmeal as the energy from it to pump iron and do high intensity cardio is just awesome.

Yeap interesting about teeth and jawlines of those eating grains and those on meat and vege's as i've read about that and not sure why as maybe something with mineral absorption. Also i can't wait for these new DNA Epi-Genome Blood tests coming out although about 5 more years until they are perfected as that should really answer as to what foods you can eat and which one's not.
Let me know how it works out. Actually oatmeal is not soaked grains. Most oatmeal is just processed. What I meant is you take grains like: oats and you soak it overnight, then cook it. When grains are soaked they are much much easier for digestion, actually grains that are not soaked can be demineralizing. If you need more information on that, let me know.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 AM

[quote=max's mama;4444538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post

Let me know how it works out. Actually oatmeal is not soaked grains. Most oatmeal is just processed. What I meant is you take grains like: oats and you soak it overnight, then cook it. When grains are soaked they are much much easier for digestion, actually grains that are not soaked can be demineralizing. If you need more information on that, let me know.
LOL...I know oats are not soaked grains. I know about the Phyates that grains have and mineral absorption problems with that also. Someone said Ezekial Breads are good as they are sprouted hmm.....Anyway for now i'll have Bananas as my main energy carb to workout but appreciate you weighing in on all of this.

6/3

Old 07-14-2008, 03:58 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
I'm recommending the book "Nutritional Almanac" by Gayla J. Kirschmann and Jonh D. Kirschmann.
Here's a little blurb about it (link below) that speaks about the content and value of this book and also recommends that you get the 4th edition because apparently the 5th edition has not gotten favorable reviews.
I've had the second edition (or it may be the 3rd ... not with me at the moment) for many, many years and it is a wealth of information.
Nutrition Almanac (http://www.mycaringconnection.com/nutrition_almanac.htm - broken link)
Another excellent book that you may want to find is "Healing With Whole Foods" by Paul Pitchford. I don't know which edition is preferable ... i think that i have the first one.
Amazon.com: Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition (3rd Edition): Paul Pitchford: Books
I recommended th book, "Nutrition Almanac" but that's not the name of the book that i've used for many, many years. My books have been in storage and i forgot the name.
The one i meant to recommend is "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch.
Amazon.com: Prescription for Nutritional Healing (Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 3rd ed): Phyllis Balch, James Balch: Books
The one i recommended by mistake i've not looked at but Prescription for Nutritional Healing is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine